Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The towers of time  (Read 1251 times)

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The towers of time
« on: March 31, 2010, 06:40:42 pm »

I was just wondering, how do you guys record your history on DF.  I know a lot of people just plop down some engravings and call that good.  But there are also some more complex methods which I'm sure could add some flavour to any fort.

Be it a tower with a story for every story  ::), or a series of obsidian caste monoliths, how do you tell the tale of time.

personally, I don't much like the way engravings look so I dig out a room and designate it as a refuse stockpile, and then each year I dig down one level deeper until I hit the bottom and start another tunnel.  That way I can see the bones of the foes I've faced strewn under lock and key.

My first level is still fresh but I'll post a picture once the miasma clears

This is actually me second level from just after I released all of my captured goblins in my arena with my armoured soldier.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 06:49:15 pm by Dendou »

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
Re: The towers of time
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:56:01 pm »

I think I'm just going to start making new rooms with trading depots.  Every time a new Trade Caravan comes, we'll lock them in their own rooms.  See how many vaults of stuff we can accumulate :)
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:16 pm »

I think I'm just going to start making new rooms with trading depots.  Every time a new Trade Caravan comes, we'll lock them in their own rooms.  See how many vaults of stuff we can accumulate :)

Keep us updated ;)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:15:46 pm »

My plan is to make 2 rooms. each with a different level of security.
The Room of Sights: Where all Dwarves can come and read. Pillars and floor and walls are ALL engraved.
The Room of Eternity: Same as the other room, but the pillars are carved from SOLID IRON (and I'll try to make the ENTIRE ROOM from iron >:3) And then filled with magma. NOTHING SHALL DESTROY OR DEFACE THESE CARVINGS FOR ALL TIME!!!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 09:32:52 pm »

I add a room to my morgue, each room contains the dead of that year and a small note describing what happened to them. So far I have 8 levels with approximately 90 buried total. Year 7 was a disaster.... :'(. Damn dwarves decided not to pull my OMG EMERGENCY DEATH lever until it was far too late. Magma, miasma, death, and tantrums...every where.