Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A ridiculous question  (Read 1565 times)

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A ridiculous question
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:15:16 pm »

How the HELL do I dig downwards? I can control the flow of water and magma, I can tame the vicious carp, and my champions can repel entire goblin invasions singlehandedly, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to tell my dwarves to ROTATE THEIR PICKS 90 DEGREES CLOCKWISE.

How do I dig down a z-level, exactly?
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A ridiculous question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:18:33 pm »

There are two methods, one is to use a ramp which you designate on the level below, the other is to use stairways, designate an up/down stairs on one level and the level below or above that you want to dig into. Down and up stairs are similar and have to be below another set of stairs.

Zeofar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:48 pm »

First, you need to change Z-level by using the "<" or ">" keys.  Since you want to go down, ">" would be appropriate.  Then you need to designate a ramp to be dug or a stairway to be created.  If you make a stairway, I believe you need to designate a stairway(Directly above) on the original level as well.  After this, you can dig normally since your dwarves can now access that Z-level. 
This would probably fit better in Gameplay Questions, or you could check the wiki, which has information and guides on such information.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:20 pm »

And just a note, in case you hadn't realised, (it has happened), shifting your view down a z-level is shift-. (>) and up is shift-, (<). These are the same symbols as for the stairs, so once you have some, they can serve as a guide if you forget the shortcut.

ALSO: you can dig down a z-level without making it an access point by c(h)anneling. This'll just dig out the floor and the level below it, too. WARNING: Channeling is buggy, and can lead to marooned dwarves and cave-ins very easily.

FAKEEDIT: Gah, ninja'd.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

There are two methods, one is to use a ramp which you designate on the level below, the other is to use stairways, designate an up/down stairs on one level and the level below or above that you want to dig into. Down and up stairs are similar and have to be below another set of stairs.

This- as well as the other methods- don't seem to work. I have a prexisting up/down stairway, and when I try to designate a ramp or another up/down stairway under it, I can't build it because the area is "hidden".
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »

You're trying to BUILD a ramp when you're doing that, you want the designation menu, 'd' key, so you can mine it out.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:35:00 pm »

Yeah, that's what building will do. If you're trying to dig, you need to use (d)esignations.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 08:36:51 pm »

Build a down stair on your z level, then go down one with shift > place an up/down and wait for your miners to dig. I find a central shaft to be very helpful, so just keep going down with the above mentioned up/down stair case until you hit the bottum of the world and build an up stair. Use the [D]esignate menu.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:42:57 pm »

Also, I do not see how you could possibly have managed to tame the carp, but never figured out how to d-

Elf.

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:46:14 pm »

Okay, that works. Thanks!

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:46:55 pm »

Also, I do not see how you could possibly have managed to tame the carp, but never figured out how to d-

Elf.

T-that is a insane proposition, sir!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 09:10:49 pm »

It's not really that hard. But it involves use of z-levels, so I think he might've just meant it rhetorically.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 09:45:31 pm »

T-that is a insane proposition, sir!
Is it? I see your hair and beard are so overgrown they cover your ears.

Show us your ears.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs