Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World Popluation  (Read 2272 times)

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Popluation
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:21:50 am »

I have over 820 kills at the moment, and I killed around 300 more on another adventure before this one.  What will happen to my world if I kill almost all the elf's, dwarfs' and humans.  Will it make Dwarf Fortress mode any different?
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Popluation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:35:27 am »

well,if you manage to kill almost everything,you will enter the age of twilight,or death,although i believe the age of death is only when EVERYTHING is dead.by wiping out a civ you shouldn't get any more caravans from them.There might not be a king/queen for your dwarf's,no goblin civ=no siege i believe.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:39:40 am »

well,if you manage to kill almost everything,you will enter the age of twilight,or death,although i believe the age of death is only when EVERYTHING is dead.by wiping out a civ you shouldn't get any more caravans from them.There might not be a king/queen for your dwarf's,no goblin civ=no siege i believe.

I have killed a handful of human warlords, a few dwarf kings, and many elven queens... though I cant find any goblins, I know they are on the map. 

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:10:10 am »

I'm having a very hard time genning worlds with goblins. In fact, I haven't succeeded so far. All the goblin civs seem to die out before the year 70, and the humans now inhabit their dark fortresses.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 03:26:59 am »

I'm having a very hard time genning worlds with goblins. In fact, I haven't succeeded so far. All the goblin civs seem to die out before the year 70, and the humans now inhabit their dark fortresses.

I have dwarfs living in mine, but they have a goblin leader

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 03:45:22 am »

Raz and Pkassad- I've seen that a few times even in 40d, is it possible the goblins babysnatched so many kids the goblins themselves were wiped out? By this I mean, it's possible that it is still a "goblin" civ, but that all goblins are gone and instead replaced by non-goblins that are effectively goblins.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 04:16:34 am »

Raz and Pkassad- I've seen that a few times even in 40d, is it possible the goblins babysnatched so many kids the goblins themselves were wiped out? By this I mean, it's possible that it is still a "goblin" civ, but that all goblins are gone and instead replaced by non-goblins that are effectively goblins.
Word has it that Goblins can't breed. So while they'd be slowly killed off, any babies they snatched would be able to reproduce and eventually replace the Goblins.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 05:12:45 am »

Oh, okay. Though in fortress mode, it still says that the goblin civ isn't available (red stripes). Furthermore, in legends, they suddenly just stopped being listed even before the end of the first century.

What I did get, though, is dwarven/human prisoners in those towers. The inhabitants didn't attack me on sight though, but I'm assuming that's still an unfixed bug. That, or the prisoners are babysnatched humans/dwarves who were later taken prisoner again by the victorious human civilisation.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 06:59:11 am »

The red stripes means they will attack you in fortress mode. It's kind of a placeholder to make them attack you even if their civ isn't in war with yours. Invading goblins are always generated at the spot, so they don't draw of current goblin numbers of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:24:20 pm »

It seems that goblins are as inferior in combat to the other races as ever. This is extrapolated because it seems Toady lowered their reproduction rate, likely in an attempt to get rid of the unusualy high amounts of gobin children. They kidnap a bunch of the stronger three races, and then go on raids with a joint Goblin-Kidnapped forces. They fail, as always, and the goblins take more fatalites because they aren't as good as Dwarfs and Humans. And the hippies too, I guess. This eventualy results in the extincton of any goblin civ not isolated.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »

From experiments in pocket worlds in previous versions, if you completely kill off a civ, you will no longer get those members coming to your fort.  No sieges, traders, invaders, or migrants.  You can still start a civ of that kind.  You will get 7 spontaneously generated members to reseed your race.  If you abandon, then your civ will have members and act normally.  Although world gen noble positions will still be vacant.  You kill the liaison in adventure mode, he is dead for good.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 02:20:34 pm »

From experiments in pocket worlds in previous versions, if you completely kill off a civ, you will no longer get those members coming to your fort.  No sieges, traders, invaders, or migrants.  You can still start a civ of that kind.  You will get 7 spontaneously generated members to reseed your race.  If you abandon, then your civ will have members and act normally.  Although world gen noble positions will still be vacant.  You kill the liaison in adventure mode, he is dead for good.

I have killed 3 kings and 4 liaisons :X

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 01:38:53 pm »

In my opinion, there tends to be plenty of history by year 50 to make things interesting.  I like short histories on smaller and denser worlds. 

I find that the default drainage and rainfall settings favor elves and humans a little too much and goblins and dwarfs not enough.  I double the elevation variance in either the X or Y directions(but not both), reduce max rainfall and max drainage to like 80, raise min temp to 35 and min vulcanism to 20.  I like having more titans and demons so increase the Titan Number a lot and number of Demon types a little.  Max out the number of subregions.  I like having lots of caves so I usually multiply the number of mountain caves by 5 or 10 and the number of non-mount caves by 3 or 4.  I increase minimum cavern layer openness and minimum passage density(I use 10 and 40 respectively but your tastes may vary).  I also double the number of Civilizations and stop history at 50 years.  I have gotten what I consider to be good results from this.