Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

River Boating Traders?

(1/3) > >>

I27:
One item that would make perfect sense in this are merchants that come by boat. You could build a trade depot, docks, or some other building by the river, and at certains times various creatures would row up and dock. Human's merchants would be the primary boaters on the outside river, but since river boats have to be small, perhaps they should have less (but more valuable) wares?Perhaps something different would come the cave river. Trolls that sell alcohols? Dark Elves selling weapons and slave?I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I think it would be really cool if done well.I'd also be nice if you could build retractable bridges on the outside of the cave. It doesn't really make sense that you can't already.Thank you for reading.  :)

Capntastic:
As far as I know, by default there's a tiny bridge of stones across the river that would make such impossible now.I think it would make perfect sense, when the various civilizations are made to have more interesting differences, that some would trade primarily by river and have towns based around rivers and lakes.  They would, of course, would rely on fish and whatnot for food, and trade by raft or small boat.I very much cannot wait for boats and large ships and whatnot to be implemented.  I can see many great things with it- an adventurer could charter a ship to sail him across an ocean; an enterprising young merchant/group of rogues could use a ship to trade or plunder... all sorts of great things.  Perhaps even becoming a captain, which would be a stripped down fort-like mode in which you delegate which tasks your band of sailors/pirates have.  There's just so many rad possibilities that even if a few of them are added in I'll be pleased as punch.

Aquillion:
quote:Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>As far as I know, by default there's a tiny bridge of stones across the river that would make such impossible now.</STRONG>The nature of that bridge could be changed...  it could be a 'ford' of easily passable waist-deep water instead of an outright land bridge.I don't know if you could manage real boats over that, though.  Maybe flat-bottomed barges and rafts...

Capntastic:
Rafts are the way to go, for sure.

I27:
quote:Originally posted by Capntastic:
[QB]As far as I know, by default there's a tiny bridge of stones across the river that would make such impossible now.[QB]My previous fortress did not have this in the cave river. It ran from the complete top to the bottom, and kept going as far as I could tell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version