Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How to play the new version?  (Read 13424 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
How to play the new version?
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:27:37 pm »

I get that everything is new and no one seems to know yet, but I'm rather confused (and amazed, this looks awesome).

How do I handle my military? I can't seem to figure out how to draft dwarves to kill a "Gorlak" whatever that is.... I'm also somewhat scared because I see GCS webs in the underground areas I have discovered.

Can anyone give a simple explanation of how the military works as well as other neato features?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to play the new version?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 04:53:02 pm »

Alright I'll start with what I have figured out:

Medical:

There is a new noble called the "chief Medical Dwarf"

He is an appointed noble, as almost all nobles must now be appointed by the player under the "n" nobles screen including the broker and others.

It is currently not certain what exactly this noble does.

The new starting screen includes thread as a default item, and this is needed to sew up wounds. Thus, it is recommended you start with the amount of thread listed, at least until we figure out things a bit more.

Traction benches are made at the mechanic's workshop. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's because they have moving parts.

Hospital Zones:

It seems you create a hospital from the zones menu under the "i" command. This is notably separate from the usual way you could create a barracks under the room menu. Do not confuse the two.

More as a figure it out.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:57:48 pm »

To make a squad:
-Go to the (m)ilitary screen
-Press (c) to create a squad
-After setting armor level, add dwarves on the right to your squad
-If this squad is intended to be a miner militia, be sure to go to (e)quip (while still in the military screen), remove "indiv choice, melee" and add "pick", otherwise the miners may drop picks and switch to wrestling.

Don't worry if the dwarves don't have the military graphic, they'll stay civilians for now until you give them an order.

To order the squad to attack:
-open the (s)quad menu (warning: does not pause game)
-select your squad with its letter (if you only have one, it'll be "a")
-Press (k)ill and select the gorlak

You can also station them in a similar way, using the (m)ove command and selecting a location. If you've created a Note, you can also tell the squad to move to a Note location; you can make predetermined stations in this way to organize your military. Routes are also created from the Note menu, that's a bit more complicated but if you mess around you might figure it out.

Traction benches are made at the mechanic's workshop. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's because they have moving parts.

Thanks, I was wondering where those things were.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:59:59 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:13:04 pm »

Thanks, I was wondering where those things were.

You're welcome and thank you. I kept trying to draft/activate my dwarves and didn't see how to do that.

Other things I have noticed related to military:

Be very careful digging underground. it seems that the game has a lot of underground diversity and even though I embarked in a grassland area, I quickly found lots of things that wanted to kill me from below: trogs and even GCS. The normal route of building a central staircase and then exploratory mining is now quite suicidal if you run into a GCS unexpectedly. Even more interestingly, you might accidentially dig into the side of an underground lake and spell instant flooding "fun" for your fort.

Moral of the story, Dig carefully.

When underground, traps become key in case something from the deep wants in from below. You're not just defending against gobbos anymore. It is VERY true that you could face a GCS in the first month of spring embark if you are not careful (in a grassland biome!).

I have two works for you: "hatch covers." Again, narrow chokepoints with traps have saved me from three waves of trog invasions before the GCSs (yes plural!) decided to walk over their dead bodies/jammed traps and eat me.... Hatch... covers.

Herbalism, your friend:

There are no more underground rivers, or even pools. I'm not even sure how magma works anymore, because there don't seem to be pipes that I've seen (i could be wrong, you can use finder to get one, but you can't view it at embark screen)

HFS is also revamped so only Toady knows that one.

However, there are a crapload of things underground in large caverns with underground lakes. This means that you will likely encounter a lot of plants on any soil layer floor and moreover, those underground caverns, all seem to have muddy stone. Yeah... that means that they have pregrown trees and shrubs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 05:48:53 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »

We need to put together in instruction manual:partially to thank Toady and partially to keep our own sanity. It should be a wiki post and be divided into sections with links to the relevant articles on the wiki.

This would come up just as my law school semester was winding down and going toward finals at the beginning of may....

Hospitals: ( additional info):

It is advisable to have a water source for hospitals to be used to wash out wounds. Soap is also required. This seems to be the reason the default start includes multiple buckets and is further supported by the fact that the buckets are in the area of the list housing other medical supplies (thread, etc). Of course, wounded dwarves must be given water as in previous versions, but this seems to be an additional function requiring water. At least my chief medical dwarf seemed to think so.

Please don't quote me.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:31:16 pm »

How do I make a "glob" that the soap making process requires?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

whaleberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:32:51 pm »

How do I manage my dwarves' jobs in this version?  When I hit view units and go to the preferences tab, I see the labor option, but then when I select it there are only toggles for mining, healthcare, hauling, and "other jobs."  Other jobs only includes cleaning, architecture, and alchemy.  How do I set the usual jobs like farming things, carpentry, stonework, etc?  I'm sure I'm missing something really simple here...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 05:37:03 pm »

How do I make a "glob" that the soap making process requires?

According to the raws coding:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The "glob" in question is animal fat, which makes sense for soap.
Go to the kitchen workshop and render the fat. The cooking skill is required. This is typically called "tallow."

After that you will need a barrel of lye and the tallow (fat you just rendered).
The soapmaker skill is required, at the the workshop.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 05:40:06 pm »

How do I manage my dwarves' jobs in this version?  When I hit view units and go to the preferences tab, I see the labor option, but then when I select it there are only toggles for mining, healthcare, hauling, and "other jobs."  Other jobs only includes cleaning, architecture, and alchemy.  How do I set the usual jobs like farming things, carpentry, stonework, etc?  I'm sure I'm missing something really simple here...

Excellent question. It seems you are close but need to go just a little further.
You see, those are broad categories and all the usual skills/labors are stuffed into them. Select the category you want, let's say for example "farming"

in the farming category, you will find all kinds of farming jobs including plant gathering (herbalism) and everything else you need concerning farming labors.
Once there, you select the individual labor you need.

Don't worry, it threw me off too. You just need to drill down into the menu a little deeper, because now things are subcatagorized.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 05:44:33 pm »

Additional note on medical / healthcare: casts:

In order to make the plaster powder for casts used in broken bone treatment and some surgeries (I think, still working the coding), you will need a kiln workshop a GYPSUM rock and a bag and/or box. This does require fuel or presumably magma at a magma kiln. The smelting labor is required.

This is a medical treatment item and required for the healthcare services at the hospital zone.

Please don't quote me.

whaleberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »

The issue is the other categories don't show up at all for me.  There's no "farming" option to drill into, only the mining, hauling, healthcare, and 'other." Other only includes architecture, cleaning, and  alchemy, none of which open into more options.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 05:56:13 pm »

The issue is the other categories don't show up at all for me.  There's no "farming" option to drill into, only the mining, hauling, healthcare, and 'other." Other only includes architecture, cleaning, and  alchemy, none of which open into more options.

Weird, you might be looking at a bug. Here's what I have:

Mining
Woodworking
Stoneworking
Hunting/related
healthcare
Farming/related
Fishing/related
metalsmithing
jewelry
crafts
engineering
hauling
other jobs

NOTE: Mining does not have a submenu, all other categories do.

under woodworking:

carpentry
crossbow-making
wood cutting

Under Stoneworking

Masonry
Stone detail

Under hunting/related

Animal training
Animal care
hunting trapping
small animal dissection

Etc.

Hum, what keys exactly are you pressing?

The default keysetting is to use "+" "-" to get through the menus in question and "enter" to drill down.

Are you using a tileset? Mike Mayday (who is awesome) has a tendency to redo the keysettings. Perhaps try the "/" "*" keys on a standard number pad keyboard. They should be right above the number pad.

If you are on a laptop that does not have a number pad consider using the "[" and "]" keys.

Please don't quote me.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 05:59:40 pm »

How do I make my marksdwarf recruit use the assload of bone bolts on an archery target ._.

Edit: And how do I make him use his carried bolts against enemies. He just ran and bashed a thief instead of using the bolts in his quiver.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

whaleberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:00:39 pm »

I'm Pressing + - and enter on the number pad.  I'm running exactly what came out of the torrent download, I didn't change anything.  Maybe it's a bug.  It makes the game unplayable until I find a way to fix it though.  Starting a new fortress / restarting the program doesn't fix it. 

Grimalkin

• Escaped Lunatic
  • mind-control device ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 06:06:32 pm »

The exact same thing happened in my first fortress attempt, and it is not related to the interface or display settings. I regenned a world and loaded previous embark settings for the new site, and all professions are now in the list.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4