Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How to play the new version?  (Read 13422 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to play the new version?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 06:14:53 pm »

Same situation here with the jobs. I only get Mining, Hauling, and Other Jobs, which only has Architecture, Alchemy, and Cleaning under it. I guess I'll have to have to start taking at least one point even in the jobs I almost never use until it gets cleared up.

I'd also like to take this moment to express my hatred of the new keybinding settings.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:03 pm »

The exact same thing happened in my first fortress attempt, and it is not related to the interface or display settings. I regenned a world and loaded previous embark settings for the new site, and all professions are now in the list.

It's a bug then. Though it has been out less than a day....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Taeraresh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 06:27:35 pm »

The issue is the other categories don't show up at all for me.  There's no "farming" option to drill into, only the mining, hauling, healthcare, and 'other." Other only includes architecture, cleaning, and  alchemy, none of which open into more options.

Having the same issue here. Most annoying, considering that I embarked on what seems to be a rather nice site, and forgot to bring a brewer or enough booze...

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:20 pm »

Are you guys using a non US keyboard?
somone mentioned having problems with having a non US keyboard.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:48:45 pm »

A Note on Wood.

It seems that wood will be overall more readily available in this version for many reasons. Even where surface biomes do not support wood growth, you will have underground areas that do grow both towercaps and a new type of wood "fungiwood." The downside to these underground areas is that they are typically populated and the residents will not like you (GCS, Trogs, and Corilytes O my). This of course means that you will need to focus far more upon trap making and defense, because you will be attacked from all sides (except maybe from above).

To summarize, there is more wood naturally occurring under all areas, but you will probably have to fight for it. Moreover wood is now more useful for things like training weapons, which you can make out of wood now.

Concerning actually accessing the underground areas, I recommend heavily trapping your entrance point into the underground area to keep the rest of your fort safe. Underground areas provide fascinating opportunities for farming and residences, but you must balance the dangers.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:55:12 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 08:00:47 pm »

living on the edge is more Fun, i embarked, dug straight down, and now am chopping wood among GCS webs

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 08:10:21 pm »

living on the edge is more Fun, i embarked, dug straight down, and now am chopping wood among GCS webs

I think I will wait until I know how to turn on my military before going with that approach.  :D

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 10:16:34 pm »

neato.

Does anyone know how the new learning system works yet?

There seems to be student and teacher skills. How does this work.

Also more on the military screen overhaul sounds nice. I will say, I like the idea of being able to target kill an individual unit, but I need to figure the rest of the military thing soon :)

Eh, ok. Though I will say that living on the edge does require you to live. :P

Please don't quote me.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 10:27:54 pm »

Step 1: Arrange somehow for a dwarf to have exactly one (1) leg chopped off.

Step 2: Forge golden crutches (if you can make them out of metal)

Step 3: Wait a year.

Step 4: Legendary crutchwalker! Tax-exempt, badass cripples.

Whoever can find a way to RELIABLY have a dwarf's leg chopped off intentionally earns my enduring respect.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:33:40 pm by Tally »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 11:53:17 pm »

Is it just me, or can I not farm on indoor soil anymore for underground crops?

Please don't quote me.

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:50 am »

Is it just me, or can I not farm on indoor soil anymore for underground crops?

ATM you need to irrigate underground soil to farm, not sure if it is a new feature or a bug.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:54 am »

Hunting in DF:2010
(Found this out the hard way...)

-Starting skill set for Hunter:
   -Marksdwarf
   -Ambusher
   -Only other combat/hunting skills allowed (same as for 40d)

-Have a Butcher's shop set-up right next to your refuse stockpile
-Dwarfs MUST be ordered to "COLLECT REFUSE FROM OUTSIDE"; apparently, hunters won't return with their kills otherwise.
-Also have yourself a Tannery and a Kitchen (to render fat), and plenty of room in your food stockpile.
-Optional: BARRELS. Loads and loads of barrels.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 12:39:06 am »

Additional note on medical / healthcare: casts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In order to make the plaster powder for casts used in broken bone treatment and some surgeries (I think, still working the coding), you will need a kiln workshop a GYPSUM rock and a bag and/or box. This does require fuel or presumably magma at a magma kiln. The smelting labor is required.

This is a medical treatment item and required for the healthcare services at the hospital zone.

there is no menu for making tallow any more though in kitchens
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 12:42:07 am »

Additional note on medical / healthcare: casts:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In order to make the plaster powder for casts used in broken bone treatment and some surgeries (I think, still working the coding), you will need a kiln workshop a GYPSUM rock and a bag and/or box. This does require fuel or presumably magma at a magma kiln. The smelting labor is required.

This is a medical treatment item and required for the healthcare services at the hospital zone.

there is no menu for making tallow any more though in kitchens

It's under "Render Fat". And apparently you now have to have renderable fat/glob available to even get that option to show up...

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 12:47:30 am »

yup its also automated now which is very good
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4