Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abundant wild animals and invincibility?  (Read 1007 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Abundant wild animals and invincibility?
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:40:10 pm »

I just finished my first run as an adventurer. Unfortunately, I saw no underground stuff, but I did see two differences that caught my attention:
1. Wild animals were plentiful, more than I remember from 40d. I could stumble into some elk, run them down and find a herd of muskox before having finished with the elk. This meant I spent quite a lot of time chain-hunting, stopping only to quicktravel to another biome.
2. Throughout the game, I don't think my character got injured once, not even by the wolf ambushes at the start or the human mob in the town I destroyed. Did anyone else notice they were having a much harder time getting hurt?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Abundant wild animals and invincibility?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »

Yes and no.
Weaker enemies no longer get lucky shots that kill you instantly if you are much more powerful than them.

In return, the damage even the weakest enemies do piles up more than before. Even wearing full masterwork steel armor (or better), 20 untrained Elves can tear you apart if you're unlucky.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

I don't know, I killed a dragon that survived 1050 years of world gen without a scratch.   I guess I had been slaughtering cougars and wolves for a while before that, but man, the adventurers seem a lot better than before.
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:33:59 pm »

Check your stats, you're almost always Superior in all your fighting stats (strength, agility, endurance, toughness) when you first start because of your skills.

So you start out as a god and just become more godly when you train.

Question: I don't actually know about endurance and toughness.  Are they both fighting stats?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Yelloq

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAVE_ADAPT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:45 pm »

I also noticed one swing kills happen when you attack any dwarf besides guards. I have only tested my... methods on dwarfs so far, moving on to Elves as soon as I can find some.
I haven't noticed animals too much, but that's probably because I stopped world gen in 23 or something like that.
as complicated as dressing up in a clown suit and abducting every male child in the fort, cutting off their penises, peeling the foreskins off and wearing them like finger puppets and secluding oneself in a workshop where one just sits there making little plays with the finger puppets.
i am now completely worried

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:06 pm »

Another factor is that armor makes a much much bigger difference in this version.  Adventurers start with full bronze armor (superior to iron, and better than almost everything below steel); most other people don't start with anything nearly as good.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:25:59 am »

What I've noticed is that shattered bones don't have as much effect as you would think.  Creatures with broken legs can still stand and fight, etc.  Either the phrase "shattered" is being very optimistic, or the DF lifestyle encourages people to walk it off.

Edit:  And rumours of adventurer invincability are unfounded.  Dragons are quite easy, but just try taking on a bronze collossus!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:49:32 am by tigrex »

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:59:09 am »

From what I have seen, shattered is good for two purposes.  If you shatter the upper spine you completely cripple your opponent, also shatter seems to be the only way you can get people to bleed with blunt weapons.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:25:32 pm »

My dwarf adventurer has a mixture of steel, bronze, bismuth bronze armor, and a bronze shield.  I have yet to get hurt by anything.

Shattered anything don't seem to matter that much to my victims targets anymore.  I have shattered all four limbs of a wolf, broken its lower back, knocked its teeth out, bruised all of its internal organs, and still only managed to kill it after I pancaked its skull through its brain.  More often than not, after I crush its chest or tear a limb off rupturing a vein, my target will suffocate or bleed to death before I land a kill shot. This is all with a plain copper hammer, though.

Throwing stones doesn't seem to do any appreciative damage, at least at modest skill levels.

Animals do seem to be more plentiful now than in 40d.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:37:49 pm »

I remember being ambushed by wolves, right on top of a pack of Rhesus macaque, would did some parting blows to me (and maybe the wolves) before fleeing off.