Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Holy Crap Acid Rain!?  (Read 16402 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Acid Rain!?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 10:15:45 am »

So it now rains boiling hot water. Awesome.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:45 am »

Turning off the temperature in the init file seems to stop the death rain.
Did anyone notice how his posts warped time?
Stop breaking the universe, you. We just managed to patch it up after yesterday's overload.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 10:26:57 am »

Yeah, I noticed that too.

By the way, turning off the temperature in the init file seems to stop the death rain.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:05 am »

Hmm, superheated rainwater? Something tells me the new magma oceans are to blame. Specifically, this is because Convection Shmonvection is no longer in effect - walking close to active lava will heat you up. If Toady missed a check, then the magma at the very bottom of the playing area will heat up the rain falling from the very top - resulting is superboily death.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 10:49:36 am »

Hi!

This would then explain why some people have deadly rain and others don't.

I was wondering about such a possibility myself, though I had hoped it was volcanic ash mixed into the rain near volcanoes. Oh well, at least now we have a hope of evading this, right?

Deathworks

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 11:22:23 am »

Specifically, this is because Convection Shmonvection is no longer in effect - walking close to active lava will heat you up.

It will? How are we to make magma forges and such without the dorfs burning up, then?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 12:07:11 pm »

If the underground muddied ground is an indication you will need to muddy all of the above ground tiles for a farm plot to work. Still cake with the pond buckets method but will take a bit longer.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 12:10:56 pm »

oh shoot, my fort was randomly named 'MineTyphoon'! I hope it doesn't rain...
My Group was randomly generated :
"The First Fortress".

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 12:14:32 pm »

Quote from: InsanityPrelude
It will? How are we to make magma forges and such without the dorfs burning up, then?
Presumably, it's not fatal. It makes your fat melt, not your skin, so it may simply be insufficient foresight on Toady's part.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 12:15:31 pm »

Specifically, this is because Convection Shmonvection is no longer in effect - walking close to active lava will heat you up.

By only chanelling out the tile directly below the impassible tiles of your shop you should be able to reduce the heat but having fewer tiles nearby should also mean lower temperatures. Aside from more complex tunnels for your magma this could be achieved by lowering the whole system one level and having only the single tile above to supply magma. The glowing red numbers do not naturally flow up but you can of course force them to fill those spaces by pumping.

Most people will definitely need to burn a few trees before setting up magma forges like that but it can be done treeless by the clever. With goblin caps and tower caps on every map and tubes and so on on every map that isn't even important in no vegitation locations.

-

If the underground muddied ground is an indication you will need to muddy all of the above ground tiles for a farm plot to work. Still cake with the pond buckets method but will take a bit longer.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 12:24:31 pm »

I wouldn't be adverse to an actual irrigation requirement, but then designating an "irrigation zone" that behaves like the pond zone, but is being watered until there's mud on every tile of it, would have to be a requirement.

Strangely, I haven't encountered the "must muddy aboveground farms" thing - I could plant stuff on my aboveground plots without problem. Belowground plots, however, gave me some trouble. Especially since you need two z-levels of underground soil to pull this off.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 01:00:05 pm »

If you're going to muddy the floor anyway, it doesn't really matter if it's soil or stone. If muddied stone didn't work, my dwarves would be dead now - well, more of them would be.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 01:16:28 pm »

You don't need to muddy aboveground farms - the text seems to imply that you will, but it will allow you to build the plot and plant as normal.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 01:18:22 am »

Turning off the temperature in the init file seems to stop the death rain.

The website was acting crazy when I tried to post that....sorry for the repeat posts....rofl

Should I post this 3 times in a row?

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 03:56:31 am »

Quote from: InsanityPrelude
Presumably, it's not fatal. It makes your fat melt, not your skin, so it may simply be insufficient foresight on Toady's part.
That seems to be quite deadly according to all the 'bleeds to death' messages after being submerged in magma... hopefully magma forges will actually provide some protection... my miner got ganked after he encountered a GCS while heading to his.

Didn't notice trees sponteanously combusting, but their actually was no mud around the magma lake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4