Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arena mode appreciation thread: Most one sided battles!  (Read 1553 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Arena mode appreciation thread: Most one sided battles!
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:25:45 pm »

So, I just had a steel armored elephant with fighting skills charge into 50 grandmaster elven archers and lay waste to 47 of them before bleeding to death with thousands of arrows stuck in it.

Share your arena mode stories.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena mode appreciation thread: Most one sided battles!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:29:50 pm »

I created what I like to call "The Fusion Reactor" - Essentially I spawned about 50 fire men with maxed out skills, along with various other things like dragons, mud men, hydras, etc, and put them all in a very small room. I then dropped things in and saw how long they lasted.

This was the first time I have ever seen the message: The elephant has melted!
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:30:27 pm »

Note: always double check that the 10 Dwarves you just added to fight that one Dragon are all set to be on the same side before unpausing and wondering why they all promptly stabbed the person next to them in the face, killing them, while a bemused Dragon looks on before igniting the survivor.

Also, before they drown, Sharks make quite good fighters on land.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:47:16 pm »

Note: always double check that the 10 Dwarves you just added to fight that one Dragon are all set to be on the same side before unpausing and wondering why they all promptly stabbed the person next to them in the face, killing them, while a bemused Dragon looks on before igniting the survivor.
yeah...  :-\
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »

I spawned a bronze collossus wearing golden armor to fight against 50 armored elven hammermen. Turned out the titan dropped the armor and started beating the elves with his golden helmet. It was rather humorous checking combat logs and seeing how he killed this one by bashing his side with the helmet so hard it broke several rips, causing them to rip his lungs apart.

In fact he hit him so hard that the helmet got stuck in the wound.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »

I kept discovering that things were invulnerable. I dropped two Blizzard Men into the magma, they burned and smoked and wouldn't die. So I spawned half a dozen Magma Men to fight them. Nobody died. I eventually killed the Blizzard Men by dropping water onto them.

Since Blizzard Man+Lava didn't do anything, I decided to test Magma Man+Water. He started boiling everything away, so I spawned a bunch of polar bears. True to life, polar bears are excellent swimmers! They got the Magma Man, but all but one died in the process.

Then I had a Bronze Colossus fight 25 cats and a Hydra. The Colossus killed them all without suffering a single wound.

Then I spawned some Werewolves. Immediately after I unpaused they both started bleeding and, apparently, spewing magma. Investigation showed that they both had brown wounds on all of their fingers. Rational explanation: I accidently spawned some lava. Awesome explanation: MAGMA CANNON FINGERS.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:04:39 pm by Airpi »
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »

On an interesting note: it seems iron men emit a pretty flash when they die. Now I must find out if this flash is actualy fire or just an effect.

Another note: Bronze collossi actualy melt into a pool of molten bronze if you drop them into magma, instead of dying, dropping a bronze statue which then melts, which is kinda cool. Iron men can survive in magma, but can't see through it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 08:07:32 pm »

I had a marksdwarf fall into the central river, and not content to simply watch him drown I sent a legion of carp after him, which he promptly gunned down while swimming.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »

I had an armored grizzly bear army fence off against about a hundred completely unskilled people with adamantium blowguns.  :D

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 08:24:27 pm »

I had a bronze colossus in full adamantite armour with a copper hammer face off against 50 naked elves. :O

BTW, does anyone know if you can delete creatures?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:27:03 pm »

BTW, does anyone know if you can delete creatures?
magma flooding works.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 08:29:12 pm »

I had a heavily armored and armed Dwarven warrior with an Iron sword battle against an Iron man.  The battle was a stalemate for a full 5 minutes of combat at which point the Iron man somehow got his hands on the Iron Sword and stabbed the dwarf to death.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 08:30:23 pm »

There's little I haven't put against a Bronze Colossus that has survived, and it's has no skills whatsoever.

On another note, I have no idea how to put arena creatures on the same team.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 08:34:34 pm »

My mission: See how many unskilled archers it takes to kill a dragon with wooden crossbow bolts. To keep them from all dying instantly, I made the army of archers out of Fire Imps (immunity to fire, and I accidentally found out they can use crossbows earlier)

230 archers later, the imps finally got a couple bolts into the dragons eyes, blinding him and allowing them to shoot him from safety.

23000 crossbow bolts later, all the imps ran out of ammo and started charging into battle unarmed. This is when I learned that the dragons weak spots are his toes, because those were the only things to take severe damage of any kind... In fact, the imps seemed quite content to make sure that every single toe on that dragon was mangled beyond recognition.

Eventually I sent in a single spear-wielding imp to finish the dragon off, as neither side was suffering any major casualties anymore (dragon was too injured to fight effectively and the imps couldn't hurt any vital part of his body) he finished the battle with a single attack.

Results of this experiment: Wooden crossbow bolts simply cannot defeat a dragon.

I'd be fortressing it up and playing with the military right now, but I can't seem to gen a world with any goblins or kobolds...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:07 pm »

On another note, I have no idea how to put arena creatures on the same team.
in the create creature menu, small thing at top-left that says sd: Side: Independent. press s or d to set the side, #1-#99. (make sure you change it or set it back to independent before you place the opponents)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2