Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Varying levels of alcoholism

(1/1)

Deathworks:
Hi!Search didn't yield any hits, so I put up a new thread.Personally, I think having varying levels of alcoholism for dwarves would be a good idea. You could have anything from anti-alcoholic (very rare, never drinks alcohol, but never gets unhappy thought from its absence) up to major cases that will be on the edge of tantrum the moment they see an empty barrel.This could also be used to answer the minor problem, by having all babies and children default to anti-alcoholic and when they come of age choose a final denotion based on their family background and other influences.In addition, constantly unhappy dwarves may see an increase in their alcoholism as they use it to substitute for real happiness, just as people in real life do.(And just as in real life, it may probably become a vicious circle, if the supply of alcohol is insufficient).Heavily alcoholic dwarves would also require to drink more often in order to aggrevate their blight.Deathworks

Shujaa:
This would be fine if drinking wasn't such a big timesink.I mean I can imagine it working if the grouchy dwarf carried a flask with him and took drinks from it as he worked. But not so much when he has to travel all the way to the food stores, spend a while drinking, then walk all the way back. It's ok as it is now, but it might get a little ridiculous if they did it too often.

Dreamer:
I think both suggestions would be cool - Different levels of alcoholism and dwarves carrying containers for drinks during work time.  In fact, they nearly go hand in hand...I think pure Anti-Alcoholism is a little extreme though - I'm sure they'd drink the stuff if they were dehydrated, perhaps with an unhappy thought if they follow the no-alcohol path.  Pure Alcoholic dwarves would, similarly, get an unhappy thought about drinking plain water.

Fieari:
Dwarves who aren't alcoholics?  Blasphemy!Humans and other races though, should have varying levels.  They should also be able to get actually drunk.  Dwarves should have a tag that specifically makes them get "more sober" (more productive) as they drink.  Other races should be the opposite way.  Of course, drinking should make you happy, regardless of what race you are.Well, maybe the elves could be teetotalers.  Bunch of ninnys that they are.

herrbdog:
Dwarf cancels drink: interrupted by Temperance Union Representative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version