Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Healthcare weirdness  (Read 16098 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Healthcare weirdness
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »

So my miner was being an idiot and dropped a 1 tile floor near my meeting place.
Breaking some bones of three dwarves.

So I designate a Hospital zone over some beds. Place some bags and a table on it. Place food, drink and a water source for cleaning. (Beats me why they just couldn't use alcohol for cleaning :P)

Health related supplies are hauled to the bags and the wounded are hauled to the beds.

I appoint my weaponsmith to all the health related jobs. Though the least wounded dwarf with only three broken body parts (red) instantly get's out of bed and continues working. Which I find a bit odd but okay.

So the unskilled doc starts to examine both remaining dwarves and eventually sutures the three remaining wounds of one and starts surgery on the last dwarf.
Here it get's weird. He keeps at it for almost near a month when suddenly the wounded dwarf gets up walks to the booze stockpile drink and faints. He get's no surgery skillgain whatsoever
He get's dragged back to the bed he was in by some friendly little helpers and now the doctor is trying to perform surgery on him again. Dwarf dies of infection and the doc still has no surgery skillgain.

I find this very weird. Because he has surtured and set bones before which didn't take as long as the unfinished surgery was taking. And he has dabbling skill in both now.

Edit:
The doc dressed a wound just now which he hadn't done before and also got dabbling in it. Maybe there's something wrong with the surgery skill?

Edit2:
Same thing happened with the last dwarf. He was surtured and bandaged and the dog was trying to put him in the new traction I put in the hospital. But that never happened and suddenly after someone else gave the wounded something to drink he got up took some meat from the pantry. Ate it at a chair and table. And returned to his sick bed on his own. Where he is now resting again.

And the doc is trying to put him in traction again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:49:06 pm by Empty »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Healthcare weirdness
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:18:45 am »

I've got some weirdness as well on the traction job. The doctor dwarves just seem to stand over to patient before eventually getting thirsty and wandering off, rather than actually taking the wounded dwarf to the traction table.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »

I've got some weirdness as well on the traction job. The doctor dwarves just seem to stand over to patient before eventually getting thirsty and wandering off, rather than actually taking the wounded dwarf to the traction table.

It's the same for me. Also for surgery.

Either it's because surgery or traction skill takes too long at low skill or it's broken.
It would be nice if someone who has a dwarf with high skill in both could clarify about this.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »

I've had this same bug.

In my fortress the surgeon just stands over the patient's bed for 3 weeks, then gets thirsty and wanders off. Repeat ad infinitum until the patient dies of infection.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:19:00 am »

The exact same is happening for me too.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 11:47:25 am »

I also had my patients die of hunger whilst everyone watched; the surgeons tried to do surgery but never succeeded.

Kire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:01 am »

Same for me, I've had surgeons stand over the patients for a long time but never do anything other than Diagnose and Clean. They have all the supplies and equipment they need.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:20:39 pm »

I had a similar probem recently. My militia commander (hereafter referred to as "Urist McCripples") got wounded in a sparring accident, taken to the hospital, blah blah... My surgeon then proceeded to suture him. Repeatedly. To no effect. There was no spare thread lying around, though, so the surgery definitely proceeded as normal  (???), but McCripples kept on lying there with his leg cut open. Dwarven doctors are magical, it seems.

The funny part is, the guy who broke his leg the month after him was sutured up and got a cast just fine.  ???
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 06:36:58 pm »

I had two dwarfs in the hospital with cuts that needed bandaging. One on the foot, the other on the hand and the leg.

I didn't have any dwarfs skilled in wound-dressing, so I just told my surgeon to go nuts and take his best shot at it. Eventually I came back to find that the leg wound has been sutured and bandaged, but the hand and foot wounds still needed bandaging. It'd been rather a while at this point so I enabled wound-dressing on a couple of animal caretakers as well, thinking perhaps the surgeon was just too busy with other stuff to get it all done.

For about a year or so I watched a steady stream of animal caretakers and the surgeon grabbing cloth, going over to the wounded dwarfs, standing over them until they got hungry or thirsty, and then leaving them unbandaged. Never did get bandages put on them, eventually the goblins came and put an end to all that fuss.

I may have seen similar lack-of-action on the surgery front, with an interesting detail. One of my militia captains slew a Forgotten Beast that was leaving horrible substances all over the place and must have stepped in it in the process, both of his feet were completely rotten. The surgeon came and stood over him for a while and didn't seem to be accomplishing anything, but when I looked at the patient's treatment history a blank entry had been added (ie, there was an entry that had the correct date and the name of the surgeon, but in the spot where the name of the treatment should be there was nothing).

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 07:11:34 pm »

I've got a dabbling suturer immigrant (he's the best I've got) trying to suture a dwarf with a cut toe. He's doing the grab thread -> try to suture -> put thread back dance over and over.

I tried setting suturing on a few random dwarves and they all did the same thing. Interestingly enough I think one of them got dabbling skill from it, but the chief medical dwarf who's been trying to suture the wound for a year is still dabbling so I don't know if they are getting skillups or what.

Edit: he finally became a novice suturer, so he is getting skillups. Of course he's still not managed to fix the toe.

Edit2: I removed the bed the injured guy was on, and he hopped up and started training again even though his toe is still cut. Some more dwarves were injured by a troll and the medical dwarf seems to be handling them fine.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:21:35 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:27:57 pm »

I had a dwarf smash open his finger and toe in combat. The chief medical dwarf has been performing surgery on him repeatedly for over a year now. No skill gains, and the wound has not healed at all.

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 02:48:22 am »

my dwarves aren't bring water to the patients

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »

Got some dwarves that have broken finger nails as well, bit of busted skin on a finger.
Infected though. Hope they don't die of the infected fingernail.

really. The 'walking wounded' should be able to clean their scratches and/or lick their wounds themselves, without the expert opinion of a surgeondwarf. Should gain them skill in cleaning wounds as well.

One got suitured on his finger skin and lived, the other, outside the hospital (on a spot in the main hallway where emergency triage was held), got a single suiture, but before both fingers were done died of thirst.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:03:06 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 02:31:30 pm »

A temporary workaround for the endless surgeries, you can just remove the bed of the afflicted patient and he should be forcibly discharged from the hospital.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 03:02:18 pm »

It sounds like the bug may be with the injured dwarf, not in the surgeon.  Just my 2c.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4