Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Healthcare weirdness  (Read 16097 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Healthcare weirdness
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 05:21:24 pm »

A temporary workaround for the endless surgeries, you can just remove the bed of the afflicted patient and he should be forcibly discharged from the hospital.

My injured dwarf just stood there until someone else helped guide them to another bed; at which time my doctor returned to continue the interrupted surgery. Maybe they need a kind of tool? I tried making some short swords [the only blade I can think of] but nothing happened.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:46:12 pm »

!!UPDATE!!
I checked on the guy who needed sutures, and while his leg still showed up as yellow on the u->wounds screen, his z->health screen revealed that the wound that Urist McSurgeon was so intently trying to fix had already healed a long time ago, even though he apparently still needed sutures. I checked his status and, sure enough, he was quick to heal. Maybe this is caused when the wound to be fixed has already healed enough to no longer merit surgery..?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:55 pm »

!!UPDATE!!
I checked on the guy who needed sutures, and while his leg still showed up as yellow on the u->wounds screen, his z->health screen revealed that the wound that Urist McSurgeon was so intently trying to fix had already healed a long time ago, even though he apparently still needed sutures. I checked his status and, sure enough, he was quick to heal. Maybe this is caused when the wound to be fixed has already healed enough to no longer merit surgery..?

I actually think Surgery in specific is broken and won't advance, personally. Unless I need someone with actual skill at it. I had a no-skill dwarf attempt surgery on the same wounds for two years straight. No skill-ups for the doctor, no fixing-up on the patient.

Sutures though, that sounds like it makes sense. The health screen still thinking he has an outstanding order for sutures, but the wound healed on its own. Save and reloading didn't work, yeah?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:31 am »

!!UPDATE!!

I actually think Surgery in specific is broken and won't advance, personally. Unless I need someone with actual skill at it. I had a no-skill dwarf attempt surgery on the same wounds for two years straight. No skill-ups for the doctor, no fixing-up on the patient.

Sutures though, that sounds like it makes sense. The health screen still thinking he has an outstanding order for sutures, but the wound healed on its own. Save and reloading didn't work, yeah?
Saving and reloading doesn't help him, nor does it help the other guys waiting in the hospital. Some poor dwarf nearly got bisected by a goblin - Left arm and leg gone, internal injuries, the whole nine yards. He's not bleeding anymore and his mangled stumps have long since scarred over and healed, but he still apparently needs sutures, dressings, and cleaning. Another dude's been hospitalized for months because he essentially got a paper cut. Still waiting for sutures, even though he probably didn't need them in the first place.
I was going to build the bisected guy a gigantic engraved bedroom with adamantine everything to commemorate his miraculous survival, but since he can't get up or move or anything that'd be pretty mean.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 02:13:22 am »

Quick question. Are any of you guys providing chest in the like for storage a medical supplies(Crutches,splints,cloth, etc.)? It's just a guess but the wiki seems to hint at needing some sort of storage for medical supplies for a dwarf to actually be treated in a hospital.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 02:24:45 am »

Quick question. Are any of you guys providing chest in the like for storage a medical supplies(Crutches,splints,cloth, etc.)? It's just a guess but the wiki seems to hint at needing some sort of storage for medical supplies for a dwarf to actually be treated in a hospital.
No, they're treating them, all right (and treating them... and treating them... and treating them...), and the one dwarf that did get stitched up properly was stitched with whatever was lying around (which turned out to be adamantine strands :'() - I wasn't even aware until now that I was supposed to build a container! *Facefaults*
If my suspicions about the wound healing too early are correct, however, that would still greatly expediate the surgery, possibly preventing the wound from closing up and exploding my surgeon's mind. (I'm probably wrong, though. It's probably way more complicated than that.)

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 04:06:06 am »

I have everything you can equip a hospital with, and I lost four bruise victims to dehydration today.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 09:56:12 am »

How have you equipped the hospital with plaster powder? Does the hospital screen show that there is some inside?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:07 am »

I've been unable to get plaster and soap actually inside the zone, but everything else is available in the chests. It doesn't really help the doctor dwarves do anything faster.
To the guy with dehydrating dwarves, make sure you have buckets available and dwarves with the appropriate healthcare labors enabled.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:29 am »

Have thirsty dwarves as well.
Is more to do with idle dwarves ignoring their nursing duties than lack of buckets or water. I have a well inside my hospital filled with buckets (for now).

Another issue, that might be HC related: can't replace my manager/bookkeeper (who is in hospital with a broken fingernail and split thumb....for two years now :(. )

But thats more likely a positions issue. maybe need to unassign offices first or something.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Elvensoul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 07:41:19 am »

My expert dresser tries to dress up dwarf since months. Urist McIdiotdoc graps stuff from the chests to dress up the dwarf. Seems to just stand around for a few days and then he runs off to the main storage rooms to drop the stuff to dress up. Then he goes back to the hospital zone and graps the next thread (?) to repeat the process ad finitum.

Jazhuis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:17 am »

Not too long after embark, I had an accidental cave-in that seriously injured one of my miners. Since I didn't have a hospital set up yet, I quickly improvised one with a single bed: she was rescued and taken to the bed, Urist McHouse: Medical Dorf goes and looks her over and diagnoses her as having multiple cuts/broken bones/compound fractures/etc. And...that's it. No treatments designated or anything. They won't even clean her wounds. So now my miner is pretty much living in the 40d hell of permanent invalid with a set of 2010 injuries.

Unfortunately, firing my medical officer and hiring Urist McForeman didn't do any good, as apparently he's unwilling or afraid to actually rediagnose or set up a course of treatment on old patients. He seems happy to diagnose newer patients, though.

I wonder if it was caused by my initial lack of hospital supplies, as it was under construction when it happened, or maybe McHouse is just petulant. Sadly, there seems to be no way to force a rediagnosis on an injured patient, and I haven't found it in myself to have the patient euthanized, as I guess I'm hoping the first set of bugfixes will either fix things so I can get my patient some treatment, or else there'll be enough changes that I'll just start a new fort anyway.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 10:08:50 am »

Maybe a diagnosis can be induced by re-injuring the patient...?

there are several problems with that approach though:
-possibly only the new wounds will be diagnosed and treated
-how to get the patient to the appropriate spot for breakage?

I wish il doctore would behave more like House and just try various treatments. Instead of failing at suturing a healed wound, he should cut it open and re-diagnose, set the bone, then suture again etc.
Haven't seen any misdiagnosis or malsurgery yet though, just failure to act. very un-McHousian.
I'd love to see a dwarf lose his foot in surgery because she complained about the broken toenail. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jazhuis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 02:56:54 pm »

It might be nice if the Chief Medical Dwarf could have a manual option to force a rediagnosis, maybe as an option through the Health information screen. It's kind of like clearing out a queue in a workshop when someone gets hung up on something. Any changes in the meantime can be taken into consideration and healthcare tasks can be reset. That way, when Diagnostician McHouse gets lazy about things, Chief Medical Dwarf McCuddy can tell him to get in there and rediagnose the patient.

Elvensoul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »

Another of my slightly hurt dorf was not healed so I removed the bed to get him out of the hospital. His bruises that needed to be dressed up stayed and he never went back to the hospital. It seems that dorf wont be re-diagnosed or go back to hospital at all?!
Any experiences with that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4