Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Healthcare weirdness  (Read 16080 times)

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Healthcare weirdness
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 09:28:59 pm »

Another of my slightly hurt dorf was not healed so I removed the bed to get him out of the hospital. His bruises that needed to be dressed up stayed and he never went back to the hospital. It seems that dorf wont be re-diagnosed or go back to hospital at all?!
Any experiences with that?

None like that here. But I don't find this situation too unusual: minor bruises, lacerations, and abrasions only require the patient to stay put to prevent the doctor and hospital from being sued for malpractice. Without the threat of an immanent lawsuit, I don't see why those kind of wounds would need anything but outpatient treatment.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 03:25:46 am »

Surgery appears to be broken at the moment.
(placing dwarves in) traction doesnt work for me either.

In both cases a dwarf approached the injured and stood there until he got tired/hungry/thirsty/whatever.

I can also confirm, that (even heavily) injured dwarves tend to get up to do work/get food or dance around (mostly after some weeks/months in bed). After that they like to lie down in or on a cabinet, bin or some other container in my hospital.

---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 09:18:37 am »

surgery works fine for me, just need to remember to deactivate all other jobs for the surgeon as there is no real prioritizing; he could end up hauling 20 stones before attending to the injured party.

I currently have a problem with feeding/watering my guests, the messages are that there is no water source/food available, but they are. Perhaps the water is too far away, but the food is in a stockpile less than ten tiles away on the same Z-level.
It is in short supply, so possibly the food has already been claimed by other hungry dwarves, still I see no TSK
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 03:25:54 pm »

I've got a dwarf who's been in surgery for 2 years.  The patient will occasionally walk off to get a drink, stopping the surgery.

Also, when I try to disallocate the hospital zone (to make it bigger), there's a crash.  This only happens if there is a dwarf in the hospital and when the game is unpaused (presumably making it related to associated dwarves cancelling tasks or someat)

MrBots

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 04:29:15 pm »

I found another aspect of the healthcare bug. I had a Miner that got injured when he decided to remove a down staircase from underneath himself. Upon receiving the following injuries:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...he began to drag himself towards my little makeshift hospital. Part way there, I guess he decided it was more important to Stockpile something for me, and I got the follow message:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Would appear that there might be a job priority problem with some of the healthcare related jobs, since this isn't the first time I've seen an injured dwarf stop resting to get food, or to try to go to work. Also, not one single dwarf with the "Recovering Wounded" job enabled went to help this injured dwarf, leaving him to drag himself slowly towards the hospital. And there's also a previously injured dwarf who won't stay in bed or get any medical treatments finished, even with 2 doctors on staff.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 02:52:38 pm »

Not too long after embark, I had an accidental cave-in that seriously injured one of my miners. Since I didn't have a hospital set up yet, I quickly improvised one with a single bed: she was rescued and taken to the bed, Urist McHouse: Medical Dorf goes and looks her over and diagnoses her as having multiple cuts/broken bones/compound fractures/etc. And...that's it. No treatments designated or anything. They won't even clean her wounds. So now my miner is pretty much living in the 40d hell of permanent invalid with a set of 2010 injuries.

Unfortunately, firing my medical officer and hiring Urist McForeman didn't do any good, as apparently he's unwilling or afraid to actually rediagnose or set up a course of treatment on old patients. He seems happy to diagnose newer patients, though.

I wonder if it was caused by my initial lack of hospital supplies, as it was under construction when it happened, or maybe McHouse is just petulant. Sadly, there seems to be no way to force a rediagnosis on an injured patient, and I haven't found it in myself to have the patient euthanized, as I guess I'm hoping the first set of bugfixes will either fix things so I can get my patient some treatment, or else there'll be enough changes that I'll just start a new fort anyway.

First +1 internet for the House references

Secondly I've noticed that before the fake surgeries, they do have treatments proscribed, but during the surgeries (once they start) the treatments proscribed disappear on the health screen (z-> health).  Just a weird note.  Maybe instead of clearing just the surgery need, performing surgery clears all medical needs but leaves the perform surgery job in the queue, so the medical dorf can't clear the surgery job.

Just a thought.  Not sure how to get around it.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 06:06:32 pm »

What would be nice is a 'rediagnose' thing, yes. But also a 'Forced bedrest' option for dwarves who can't make it to the food stockpiles without passing out again and again...and dying as a result. Essentially, allow the player to designate a 'recover wounded' order on a dwarf who is trying to be tough and kills himself  while trying to lift a barrel of booze to his parched, cracking lips.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »

What would be nice is a 'rediagnose' thing, yes. But also a 'Forced bedrest' option for dwarves who can't make it to the food stockpiles without passing out again and again...and dying as a result. Essentially, allow the player to designate a 'recover wounded' order on a dwarf who is trying to be tough and kills himself  while trying to lift a barrel of booze to his parched, cracking lips.

This could just be solved by creating a food/drink stockpile next to the hospital. Or designating someone as a nurse, who has only the "give food/water to wounded" labor active.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 06:27:21 am »

I still think the bug comes from auto-healing dwarves that were diagnosed previously, because I have seen docs perform the list succesfully if uninterrupted.

clean>suture>bind>set>splint(>cast/crutch?)

Last time I did not have any water (it said, nor a wound that needed plaster or crutches), so the clean job just got delayed until my fixed up dwarf died of thirst*, but the other tasks did get done.
So it is not (not always anyhow) a case of a single impossible job holding up the whole process.

*(bringing food/water became impossible because of evil creatures nearby)

ed: you can assign stockpiles inside the hospital zone as well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 06:29:23 am by Areyar »

Jazhuis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 11:18:03 am »

I still think the bug comes from auto-healing dwarves that were diagnosed previously, because I have seen docs perform the list succesfully if uninterrupted.

That was a theory I had as well. I had a dwarf dragged to the hospital, and before his treatments could get underway, something did go from injured to healed (a light bruise somewhere? I forget). He then proceeded to get up and start dragging himself around, broken limbs and all, treatments still on the schedule. I'm guessing that whatever healed was a subset of one of his treatments, and since it was on top of the queue but unnecessary, it never was performed or removed. Just a guess, though.

That's why I think a re-diagnose option would be nice as a nuclear option, just in case you have Wolverine for a dwarf and his mutant regeneration power keeps confusing all his doctors.

Kandryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 11:46:46 am »

Another problem with surgery:

I got my axedwarves to fight a megabeast which had a poisonous aura or such stuff.
They ended killing the beast with no loss but one of my dwarf apparently took the whole poisonous cloud. He's now fully rotten but still alive in my hospital, spouting miasma on the whole room.
After a long while he was finally diagnosed -> advanced rot on every body parts and what need to be done according to the health panel is surgery on every parts.

BUT, the surgeon enter my hospital, get close to the patient who is lying in bed for more than a year now and... "cancel surgery, patient not resting"

How can he rests? He's been on that bed for more than a year now, never moved from it.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 05:20:35 pm »

Come smell the unresting, rotting zombie *ughe!* patient! :)

Just had a remarkably succesful patient: miner caused cave-in
dragged a few tiles with broken leg, fainted.
Mc Shiney was delivered to the lab, at this point I designated a triage borrows, which includes the hospital, food stockpile and a dormitory. Hospital staff was added to the burrows.
It seems no alert level needs to be created for the purpose of movement restriction.
(I cancelled all secondary jobs on MacHouse and McForeman, the surgeon intern as well as all on McShiney. for luck and to rid myself of the dropoff inaccessable messages)

This time all went well, the wounds were diagnosed, cleaned, suitured, cleaned, set, splinted and wrapped.
The patient was out of bed and about, without crutches, at once.

Having a well inside the hospital (or at least closer than 30tiles) seems required for effective cleaning of wounds.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:22:53 pm by Areyar »

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2010, 09:30:49 am »

I can't believe I hadn't thought of making a hospital burrow for my doctors until you described the idea. This will save me so much annoyance with enabling/disabling my doctors' jobs whenever an emergency case comes along.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2010, 01:47:47 pm »

Does anyone know a quick healing trick using the raws so that we can work around this for the time being:

i.e 1) some guy gets stuck in the constant cycle of treatment.
2) We magic heal him, cos he should be better anyway by now
3) We delete his bed and he'll go about his business until he gets injured again
4) ???? Cross that bridge when we come to it.

I tried to do the old deleting bodyparts trick but it just made the game crash.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 08:24:34 pm »

I noticed a problem with putting the guy in a burrow:

when the guy is outside hauling wood (and standing on a wood source-stockpile), and is holding a log, he will suddenly find his dropoff site inaccessable (eg outside burrow).
Instead of dropping the item and hurrying to the burrow, the dwarf will try repeatedly to find a site to drop it off.

Which is slightly odd, as dwarves have no problem dropping not only carried stuff, but also worn equipment/clothing when they are frustrated in different situations.
Not entirely sure if this resolves itself after a while (say when the dwarf gets sleepy), I was too impatient and unassigned him from the burrow after about five repeats.

edit: The drop-off problem also persists in the burrow. I have the chiefmed locked in the triage burrow, which includes a foodstockpile and well, only medical and cleaning are on for him. (mud, blood and golddust is covering my hospital: the corpse of a miner was hauled through earlier.)
Still he occasionally persists in standing in the foodstockpile complaining about dropoff sites.
Haulage jobs seem to be imposed on any nearby dwarf, regardless of task assignments sometimes.

edit: even doing all the above precautions sometimes the diagnosed patient is subsequently ignored by Doc. (and will go lie in a nearby dormitory, to die of thirst)
The burrow restricted and medical only jobs Doc will just stand there with no job or do the clean job if that is set.
It might be an interrupted job, that gets semi-cancelled or lack of one of the materials required that halts progress. I suspect the former, as wounds can be set and splinted etc without cleaning (it just risks infection)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:01:37 am by Areyar »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4