Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demon McLoris, Lawgiver.  (Read 1396 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Demon McLoris, Lawgiver.
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:36:19 pm »

His name might not be Steven Seagal...

Alrighty. Storytime. After wasting a few hours playing as an idiot killing an entire human villages for my first adventure in DF2010 (wiped the whole town about, about 140 people killed!) I decided to play "for realzies". Talk a warlord and get an epic quest of epic proportions to kill an epic beast! I was tasked to kill a dragon. A dragon? What? I'm so dead. I figured, might as well charge in there and die horribly, sounds like fun.

After travelling to the cave, going down about 50 Zs and finally finding the dragon, the epic fight begins. He opens up with some dragonfire. I block it with my shield (???) and then bash at him with my mace. The dragon falls over, and starts whining like a little girl because he's in extreme pain! Because blunt weapons don't kill unless you hit their heart so they suffocate, or smash their brains in, I then proceeded to hit it until I did so. I picked up the dragon corpse, put it in my backpack and sold it at a local store for some coins.

Then, the warlord sent me to another place, to fight a demon! A demon?! What? I'm so dead. Oh well, little choice here! I went to the place where I was supposed to go .. and it turned out to be a town. A lovely town. I thought, is this one of toady's tricks where a town is under some illusion spell and it goes apeshit as soon as I enter? Not at all.

I talk to the local warlord and he gives me the very same quest. Kill the demon. Search this place, this very town, and dispose of him. So I did some searching around, and found very little .. until I entered the pub. There I found her.

I had a lovely conversation with her, got some information about the surroundings and learned that she has no family. Possibly the nicest demon I've ever met. Needless to say, I was quite baffled. What should I do with her?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Demon McLoris, Lawgiver.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:43:34 pm »

Yeah, Demons are kind of boring in this release, like how the new worldgen features were kind of boring last release.  If you kill her the people will turn against you.  They think she's an avatar of their god and there's no way to convince them otherwise.  Look forward to a life of self-imposed exile with the dwarves/elves
Shoes...

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

Yeah, I'd imagine it would kill my relations with the humans.. Scary thing though, a giant skinless loris that has a humanoid shape as your law-giver and deity.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:59:08 pm »

I had a similar situation with a lovely skinless mongoose twisted into human shape that served as the town's administrator. A nice guy, really.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »

I just looked her up in Legends, and she indeed just came from the Underworld and fooled the civilization there that she is a manifestation of their worshipped god and settled .. and became the law-giver. Interesting. I'll leave her alone, she has done nothing wrong according to the legends. No kills at all.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:25:49 pm »

Hah, you nearly did a racist's bidding!
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:17 pm »

Bah, racist old warlords angry that demons are moving in to the neighborhood...
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 03:25:29 pm »

Bah, racist old warlords angry that demons are moving in to the neighborhood...
bah! git' off mah lawn!   >:(
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »

I actually did one time.  This guy told me to kill an eyeless chameleon monster named Os that had tricked the people into believing it was Loluth, the god of minerals and revenge.  Of course, he didn't tell me that, I found it later by checking the legends.  Also, I happened to worship Loluth(and actually, when I checked his legends, the only thing that showed up was receiving my worship).  Anyways, I went into Os's hut, stabbed him through the spine with my pike(his very first injuries in the fight were a broken upper and lower spine), and then spent awhile trying to kill him and killing a few townsfolk.  Obviously they were furious that I'd permanently crippled their god, the townsfolk attacked me.  I thought they would have been happy that I'd freed them from tyranny.  I wonder if the warlord who gave me the quest would have attacked me too.

The most interesting part of the fight was when I got tackled by a child who's skull I broke a couple minutes prior to that.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »

Sometimes the Warlord will attack you. It depends on his civilization. You're basically committed deicide.

Monsterfurby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 04:29:05 am »

My favourite employer is a pink wolf monster named Thudel Spiderymenace. I like the possibility to work for the possibly bad guys - especially since they sometimes have some very supervillainous plans "kill the dwarven king in X. [MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!]"

Erzrzore gur Vapvqrag.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:28:58 am »

Os
Pay no attention to the demon behind the curtain  ::)
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:02:18 am »

I wonder if it depends on whether they are a demon or construct made by a demon...

I would imagine constructs could "turn good", as in, creatures made by demons would decide instead of doing that whole "destroy the world" thing, that they'd rather settle down somewhere nice and drink sunshine and eat sweetbread and generally just relax.

Edit: Next version needs haggis. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.