Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too many dead pests?  (Read 835 times)

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too many dead pests?
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:52:29 am »

So...wondering if its just me, the site I've picked, or that I've got a large meeting hall/dining room I'm constructing outdoors...

But, after only about a year, my cats have apparently managed to kill so many pets, that the entire area is littered with dozens of corpses.  Luckily it's all outdoors, so miasma choking my dwarves...but were I indoors, it'd be a horror show.

I'm thinking if I weren't working on this huge enclosed outdoors meeting hall, I probably wouldn't have this problem.  Buuut...being that I'm using the new version, for all I know, this is a common issue?

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Too many dead pests?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:57:56 am »

While I was setting up my first trial fort, my entire dead-small-things refuse pile was filled up before I'd even carved out the dining room.  There do seem to be a lot of pesty things, but the problem is compounded by a bug that causes their remains not to decompose, so the pile just keeps building.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Wurm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:59:13 am »

Vermin don't seem to rot, I have dead vermin from when I first embarked(two years).

I haven't seen any miasma either, so I think it's broken.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:05:32 am »

Yeah, things aren't rotting.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:05:50 am »

Okay, so that's the problem then...  It's not that there's more than usual, they just don't rot, so it seems like it.  I thought it was a bit odd that I had no miasma at all.  I just figured my dwarves were quick to get the remains outside.

....I've also noticed my people seem to have gained the ability to walk on water.  The brook by my fortress is covered in remains, and while my dwarves walk across it all the time, they don't pick em up.
But of course, the issue there, is they can apparently walk on water.  Go down a Z-layer, and it shows it as 7/7 deep...but remains, dwarves, stone, etc, all just sits on the z-layer above it.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:10:53 am »

Well, that's probably because it's a brook. You can always walk over brooks.

Anyway, it didn't take me long to realise that my remains were piling up, so I just chucked them under the atom smasher with everything else. It's not the most convenient imaginable situation, but it's better than a map carpeted in purple.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 02:12:54 am »

Brooks in the last version were like this, they have 'invisible' tiles over them that can even be channeled away.  One can drink or fish through this level but also walk over it or leave items on it.  Creatures can also be pulled through them (dratted carp).

Larger bodies of water don't have this feature, it's water below and open space above.  From what I understand, this is to simulate how smaller beds of flowing water can just be stepped over, or drowned in, depending on what you do with it and how.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tayron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:20:39 am »

Oh! o.o  Well, that actually makes perfect sense.  I feel silly now...  I've never actually played around with rivers much on the surface like this.  And now I've pretty much got one running through the middle of my dining area...so this is a learning exercise.
Thanks. ^^