Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65931 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 03:50:57 am »

--Journal of Chief Medical Officer Sigun Rig̣thital

15th Timber, 589

Well, the supply caravan has arrived, and they've brought with them enough cheese and ale to last us through until Spring.  Of course, as required, we were supposed to show them how valuable an outpost in this location would be, and how "abundant" the mines are, and blah blah blah...

Truth is, even though this mountain is rich in several minor metals, we haven't got anything really worth mentioning.  There hasn't been so much as a hint of iron, all we've got is a vast load of lead and copper ores...  And we haven't so much as started thinking about a smelting operation yet.

Somehow -and I will always wonder how he managed to do this- Imuth managed to convince the delegates that this outpost deserved not only continued support, but preferential treatment from the mountainhomes.  Since we've got a significantly larger number of mouths to feed, he also managed to worm his way into a deal with them shipping more food out in our direction, in the form of independent merchants from the bazaar.  We would, of course, need to pay for the wares bought from these merchants, but the combined caravan would allow for a greater deal of safety, and the government wagons should allow for a greater number of wares to be brought out to us.

It is Imuth's belief that by the time the caravan comes around for its second visit, we'll actually have something worth trading for.  I've doubted him in the past, but I'm beginning to wonder if his odd ways don't have some small amount of sanity to them...

At the very least, he's the luckiest damn dwarf I've ever had the misfortune of working under. 

--End of Entry

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 04:36:33 am »

11th Moonstone, 589

The quarry gals just reported something highly unusual.  It seems we've, ah...  We've found something.

Stinthäd came running to me just moments ago, babbling excitedly about the find.  It took a fair amount of talking to calm her down enough to make sense of what she was saying.

She was carving out a new level of the main exploratory shaft when part of the rock gave way beneath her.  She was able to keep herself from falling into the newly-formed gap, but when she took a closer look she discovered that we had, in fact, breached into a subterranean warren, completely isolated from the world above.

I went down along with the others to investigate this finding, and the place truly is astonishing.  An entire ecosystem, buried beneath layers upon layers of rock, thriving with pure-white rodents and arachnids, fully adapted to a life utterly without light.

I've included a few sketches of the terrain:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is, of course, an incredible discovery...  What effect it will have on our work here is still uncertain, but I have difficulty imagining it being anything less than a fantastic boon.

Imuth has dictated that we are to keep guard over the entrance for now, until we can organize an exploratory party to venture into the caves.  While I am eager to fully explore this new area, I can sympathize with his position.  For as fascinating as the cavern is, we really don't know what subterranean predators might be lurking in the shadows.  "Discretion before dissection", as my aunt used to say.

--End of Entry

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 11:07:48 am »

Kittens are easily taken care of by "Pet Rehabilitation Centers". Like so:
DSSSSSSSSSSSDL
D=door, S=upright spike (traditionally wooden, but any will do), L=lever
Let the lever only be pulled by the person with the cat, disable all schler jobs, and have it be pulled on repeat. When schle gets to the lever, lock the door behind him. When schler cat walks in, lock the door behind it, and wait until it is skewered to death.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »

Push me up to the 4'th turn, mind you? I've got a great idea to do in the new version. In fact, I might share it with you guys:
If anyone steals this, I'm gonna smack him with a mace until he explodes.
And I'm gonna use a training mace, damnit.

...I think that's the dwarven equivalent of patents.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 04:40:16 pm »

Alright, you've been moved up.  Also, I think you may find that your little invention will be easier than you expected...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2s7th5i.jpg

Yep, found that in the caravan list.  There are pages upon pages of different types.  Naturally, I asked for all of them.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 05:57:43 pm »

Wow. They're gonna have to kill a lot of things to bring you all that blood.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 06:30:37 pm »

1st Granite, 590

Well, that's one year down...  Strange to think that we've been here an entire year, and yet haven't managed to do much of importance. 

The caravan coming this next fall will likely only have a few of the more adventurous vendors from the bazaar, bringing along wares from the mountainhome to sell to us outpost hicks for vastly inflated prices.

How exactly we're going to pay those prices, I'm not entirely sure.  Imuth seems perfectly confident with the developments so far, and urges me not to worry over such trivial details.  I may be old-fashioned, but I never really considered the prospect of starvation as a "trivial detail"...  Still though, I trust him to have some sort of plan, or at least enough luck to pull us through until we can finally start smelting this mountain into a more usable form.

The subterranean cavern has proven to be rather unexciting, and while our expedition force is still attempting to learn which end of the sword they're supposed to hold onto, the mysterious landscape doesn't seem to be posing any great threat, at least not yet.  I'm still quite eager to explore the lower reaches, but not without at least some form of protection...  "There's a fine line between prudence and fertilizer", as my aunt used to say.

As for the actual economic value of this rock, I'm beginning to doubt exactly what we're planning on getting out of this outpost...  There's a fair amount of silver, and enough copper and tin to create a veritable sea of bronze, but other than that we only have a few minor gemstones and some fine marble...  Not exactly the the iron fortress of Kuletilid, or the gold mines of lower Dumatastesh.

But Imuth is determined...  He seems quite assured that this particular mountain is the one that will make him famous, ranking his name along with the great adventurers of the past...

...and perhaps he's right.

--End of Entry

~DFMA Entry

~Save

*Phew*, finished.  Barbarossa, it's now up to you to sort out this crazy mess.  Good luck, and lose well.  We're all counting on you.

Cheers.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 06:52:47 pm »

*notifies*

Great start btw. Too bad I can't take a turn. Stupid not knowing or caring how to dl or upload a save.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 07:01:48 pm »

*notifies*

Great start btw. Too bad I can't take a turn. Stupid not knowing or caring how to dl or upload a save.
Same here. Oh, well.

Barbarossa, don't forget to update us on what happens during your turn! I'm sure it'll be a lotta fun.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »

Downloading now.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 09:59:28 pm »

I want the quickest available turn possible

Which was sixth, btw :P
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 12:50:18 am »

Ah, sorry about that, I knew I was forgetting something...  I'll get right on it.

By the way, milking can actually be done rather often.  We've currently got about seven animals that can be milked regularly, and the cheese production from that can sustain a fair number of the dwarves.  It's worth noting, should the outdoor farms get too...  Dangerous.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 02:56:40 am »

Ahh, the anticipation!  Can't wait to see what becomes of our hapless minions.

I truly hope they run into some peach monsters or cream devils.  I burst my sides when I saw that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:59:39 am by SethCreiyd »

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 06:36:08 am »

Wow, sorry, this kinda slipped my mind. I had stuff to do, sorry. Anyway, I'm back and I'd like to be put in charge of this doomed-ass fortress as soon as possible, which seems to be seventh. Just in time for the flaming zombie eagles.
Also "Sea of bronze"? Don't tempt us.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 09:09:23 am »

I'll take a turn. I haven't played the new version yet, except when I ran around choking goblin children in adventurer mode. 7 seems to be free so I'll take it.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38