Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 66010 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #300 on: June 15, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »

I want to use Ironhand graphics, though.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 18, 2010, 05:53:14 pm »

Well, I got it to work. Sorry for the delays. Here goes:

General Fortress Layout
Level 0 (Ground Floor): Entrance/Food Processing: We have a gate going into the outer fortress, fairly heavily trapped with stonefalls. There's a spot for siege weapons (ammo stockpile above), and two draltha cages. The cages can be released with a lever near the Kennels in an emergency.
Also in the outer fortress is our trade depot, two siege workshops, our graveyard, a kennels, and a forbidden floor hatch that leads down to level 12, where there is a small tower-cap farm. There is also a gate to the inner fortress, also trapped. It can be opened or closed with the microcline lever next to the bedrooms.
In the inner fortress, we have a horrendously irregular farm thing. As nothing's being planted there, I'll remove it. We also have a finished goods stockpile close to the trade depot. We also have a second trade depot (deconstructed) and two superfluous finished goods stockpiles (deleted). We have two refuse stockpiles; I deleted one. I deleted a whole bunch of random stockpiles without much in them. There's some production up here. We'll have to move that underground.
Going eastward, we have a giant dormitory - what's a dormitory?
Near the southeast-ish area, we have a small animal stockpile - near that is a staircase downwards to level -1. I'm going to destroy that staircase, turn the dormitory into a barracks, and have the entrance go through the barracks into the main fortress instead - that way civilians will be far from the gates, and enemies will have to take a few seconds mercilessly butchering our military before turning to the civilians.
Anyway, in the eastern part is the main fortress, I guess. There are giant empty stone stockpiles, for some reason. I've decommissioned them and ordered all the stone to be dumped, at which point I will reclaim the garbage dump.
...Who dumped raw adamantine on the first floor?
There are various workshops here. I'm making this area into food processing - brewing, cooking, dining rooms, etc.

Level -1: Living Area:
To the west are some waterworks. Stay clear.
East of the waterworks are many bedrooms. Each has a container, that's good.

Level 1: Defensive Level:
Okay, here we have the beginnings of defense. Walls are starting to be extended out over the fortress. Also there are some tombs.
I think I heard that in this version, siege weapons can target things that aren't on their level - so we could build siege here. Is that right?

Level -2:
Nothing much going on here. This will be our industrial area.

Level -8:
There is some mud here. Excellent, we will build farms here.

Level -14:
Some farms here. Maybe useful in an emergency.

Level -22:
Some silk webs here.

Level -35:
Magma forges here.

General:
There is too much stone. We will quantum dump it.
There is gold and silver and ore lying all over the place, if you know where to look.

To Do List
Make dining room on first floor.
Make some farms on level -8.
Build workshops on level -2.
OPERATION STONECLEAR
Make ungodly amounts of traps near the entrance.
Finish the siege near the entrance.

Notes:
If you go east too much, the levels are weird. Level 0 becomes level -9. So go west if you want to see the real levels.

I have reorganized the jobs. Only haulers will haul; I have cut down farmers by a lot; jobs have been sorted so we don't have miners metalcrafting or whatnot.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:37:16 pm by Cheddarius »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2010, 06:18:13 pm »

Found mysterious engraving today. Message from those who came before us?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »

I have started channeling out the second floor for workshops. It's slow work.
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Some haulers have arrived! 21 of them. This will make OPERATION STONECLEAR much easier!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:22:06 pm by Cheddarius »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »

A hauler has been possessed! Hmmmm.
Thought I had uncovered some silver in the second floor. Turned out to be galena.
The hauler has claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop. Meh, guess we can drop the soapstone idol or whatever in some noble's room.
Discovered a cloud of miasma in the kitchens. Ugh, the food isn't getting put away. I'll make a new food stockpile and assign some dwarves to only haul food.
Found even more fisheries. In total, one dwarf was apparently given 8 or 9 fisheries. What the heck?
Began construction on 10 new mason's workshops for our Army Corps of Engineers.
I've selected DFNewb to be our Jack of All Trades. He'll run the kennels, the siege workshops, anything else I can think of.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:38 pm »

Sweet so far.  It warms my heart to see Cavebrands in such fine working order.

Can I get dwarfed with one of the new migrants (an unskilled peasant)?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:06 pm »

Found some malachite while digging out level 2. Pretty good. Then again, we have ore everywhere, so whatever.
Oh, I probably should dig out a big area near the magma forges for ore. That'd be good.
SethCreiyd has been dwarfed.
An engineer just died of thirst, what? We have almost a thousand drink!

Discovered that the potential farm area on level -8 had been walled off. What lies in those deeps?
I will take a chance and construct walls...
Wait, no. Apparently it was just a water thing. I'll just wall that part off, and we should be fine.

The strange mood hauler wanted shell and wood. I've ordered his workshop to be walled off.

Noticed Slowpoke II trapped behind wall of his own making. Sent someone to deconstruct wall and free him.
Found some trees in the farm, sent Cheddarius to cut them down.
Miners are idle. Sent them to dig out 41 new rooms for the migrants. Will create mighty god-rooms for the leaders later.

Waiting for all the stone to be dumped.
Someone withdrew from society. Let's hope he doesn't want shell.

OPERATION STONECLEAR is moving along fairly well.
Excellent, he took mica, mica, groundhog bone, and star rubies. No shell.
Ring was made.

Waiting on the other guy to die so I can start making bone bolts. He's tenacious, that one.
There's some gold above the magma forges. Hmmm.
Man. The caverns are lousy with trees. I wish I could go down there...
I'm also constructing a large siege operating training area. Excess haulers and engineers will chuck rocks at the wall all day. They'll get stronger, and be able to defend the fortress in a pinch (both with siege and hand-to-hand).

Apparently Blutwurst cooked up a masterpiece. Huh.

Still waiting on that moody dwarf to die.

We need trees. As such, I will flood an immense area on the third floor. I will first construct a long pathway almost to the river, with a lever-operated door on the end close to the river. (Does anyone know if doors that are not lever-operated but specified as locked and forbidden will block water)?
I will put a channel in this pathway to the area that needs to be flooded. I will also put a channel (blocked by a lever-operated door) that drains to the already-in-place drainage system, which goes to the caverns.
I will put a pick inside the pathway, then order a hauler to wall himself in. Then, I will order him to dig to the river, and immediately close the door. I will order him to leave, then open the door again; after the area has been flooded, I will close the door, so it does not flood more. Then I will open the second door, letting it drain.
Hmmm, perhaps I should flood the caverns to kill any forgotten beasts or enemies. Does that work? Should I do it?

In any case, I also plan to have a few dwarves live in the siege room, with food and drink dropped by bridge from above, so that they are always ready to defend against enemies.

Six new migrants haulers came this season.
When do I end? I kind of want to go with this for a while, maybe two years or more.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:52:03 pm by Cheddarius »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2010, 10:49:56 pm »

The moody dwarf finally died! Yay! We can commandeer his workshop and make bone bolts now.
Starting construction on catapults.

A caravan! Woooo! Shame they didn't bring the wagon... they have a clear path, don't they?
Oh, wait, no. There's a giant river in the way. Oops.
I'll have to build a bridge across that.
Going to sell off a lot of clothing from the goblins and some crafts as well.

The broker fell asleep. Time to bring in someone else.
Huge props to whoever ordered so much wood. This is a godsend.

My incessant bargaining made the trader so angry that he refused to trade with me even when I was offering him 11000 dwarfbucks of crafts for 5000 dwarfbucks of goods. Then he refused to trade at all. So I seized what I wanted. Heh.
It might be wise to lock up our bridge next season. Or save, or something.

Oh man. I think DF crashed. I was saving and then it crashed. Good thing I saved a bit ago...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:52:24 pm by Cheddarius »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2010, 11:09:42 am »

Turn ends on the start of the second year in term.  And yeah, doors will block water (provided they're not already forced open by water rushing through them.  Only floodgates can do that, to my knowledge).

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 19, 2010, 01:23:38 pm »

Yay... I cooked up a masterpiece!

Oh, and you're welcome. I always order wood, as I can never seem to get enough of it. And DO NOT RAMPANTLY FLOOD THE CAVERNS. IT WILL NOT KILL MEGABEASTS AND FLYING CREATURES ANYWAYS!

Sorry, got that out of my system. That exact idea is what I spent most of my turn trying to fix so that the FPS wasn't shot to the underworld and back. Tree farm good. Flooding caverns... BAD.

And I'm glad that the fortress is alive and well again.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 19, 2010, 01:30:24 pm »

(...)

And I'm glad that the fortress is alive and well again.

You have a very peculiar definition of what "alive and well" means.  This is Cavebrands, man.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

Yeah, 30 goblin sieges is probably just down the road. Our military: one guy.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2010, 03:37:27 pm »

Hey... considering the last month of granite that I saw had nearly a hundred dead and rotting dwarves, dozens of routes of entry, a patrolling band of goblins on our doorstep, tantruming dwarves, wounded being put on top of already deceased people on hospital beds and a two Blind cave ogres slowly dismantling our own... yeah... seems like alive and well to me.

Hey, he's getting actual work done!

;)
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

Sorry I didn't play yesterday; I was busy playing Remnants of Skystone. It's pretty fun.
Anyway, I'll play a bunch today.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 20, 2010, 03:47:37 pm »

We need beds for the bedrooms. I've assigned most of the beds in the barracks and dormitory to be deconstructed, leaving four in each. Only one or two dwarves are ever sleeping in them anyway.

I need to raise FPS. How can I do this? Damming the river: Yea or nay?

OPERATION STONECLEAR is not doing very well. We need more haulers. I've undesignated some of the projects and left the most important ones.

We have a whole bunch of blocks and no bins to put them in. I've designated a wood stockpile near the carpenter's workshop and switched the engineers from blockmaking to smoothing the bedrooms. The best mason is churning out statues.

I've forbidden the siege engineer from doing anything but siege engineering/operating. I hope he'll get those catapults up soon.

Okay, so there's a lever right by the outer bridge. I've saved and I'm going to pull it. I hope it raises the bridge instead of, say, flooding the fortress with legendary axe-orcs surfing on magma.
It is now the 22nd of Limestone.
Lever works outer bridge: confirmed.

Argh, how do you work this military thing? I want to station a guy, how do I do that?

Made a bunch of traps at the entrance.

Set carpenter's workshop to make bins; set craftsdwarves' workshops to make stone mugs; ordered mechanic's workshop.

Bedrooms coming along nicely.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38