Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65487 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #420 on: July 22, 2010, 04:12:30 pm »

Dump zones do not require an open space to function, but if where is an open space on any of the tiles surrounding the zone, they will drop things down that space. Note: even an open space covered by a well counts as an open space in the eyes of the game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »

Just a minor update this time, not much has happened.  As you can see, we have a lovely new artifact which, despite having an entire MOUNTAIN of stuff going into it, weighs practically nothing.  It's worth 40480 crowns.  Certainly not our greatest achievement, but it's not bad.  An overall decent artifact, even though it was just a possession.

Cheddarius really seems to be quite the joker, walking over to his sleeping patients and dumping buckets of water over them.  I just saw him bandaging a wounded dwarf who was covered from top to bottom with water.  His leg was the only thing that needed cleaning.

Well, I guess that could be considered "thorough"...  Somehow.

Also, I've decided to attempt opening up a second well inside the hospital, so the staff doesn't have to walk halfway across the fortress to give someone a drink of water or to clean a wound.  I might include a small food stockpile as well, but that's not that big of an issue.

Also, it would appear that our workforce will just have to slog it out a while longer under current conditions, because we've scared off the latest batch of migrants again.  Oh well.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 22, 2010, 09:59:13 pm »

Cheddarius really seems to be quite the joker, walking over to his sleeping patients and dumping buckets of water over them.  I just saw him bandaging a wounded dwarf who was covered from top to bottom with water.  His leg was the only thing that needed cleaning.
That's... bizarre. Why would I do that? Is there some horrendous game bug or something?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 23, 2010, 04:36:37 am »

*sneak sneak sneak*

"WAKE UP!  It's time for your bath!"  *plsshh*
 :P "Hee hee hee"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2010, 10:24:47 pm »

Uhh...  I was going to say that we've got thrilling news, but there appears to be a complication.  I saw that Cheddarius was fixing to apply a cast to one of our patients, which I thought was rather exciting.  He went down to the storehouse, grabbed a bag of plaster, went over to the patient, made the plaster disappear into thin air, and then went off to find a bucket.

A month or so later, he was still sitting outside at the well with that damned bucket.  Hadn't moved an inch since he'd gotten there.  Eventually he got thirsty and gave up, going back inside to get some sleep.

Actually...  We've got one very disturbing medical staff here at Cavebrands.  I just saw one of the nurses go off duty, and she decided to spend the entirety of her break standing on top of some poor sap who was asleep in his bed.  No, he wasn't her husband, or her friend, or anything.  She barely even knew him.  She just...   Stood on top of him.  Then she grabbed a drink and went back to work.

I also noticed that 'Mechgineer' Pillarsplattered was one of the dwarves injured in the recent assault.  He was going about his work, but had a flashing yellow icon.  Looking at his screen, he had some minor injuries to his abdomen and a broken hand that had been sutured (with adamantine...  *gulp*), bandaged, and then proclaimed good enough for labor.

Well, whoever had served as Pillarsplattered's medical professional had missed one fairly important aspect of treating such a wound...

THE FREAKING ARROW WAS STILL STICKING OUT OF IT.

Seriously, he's still got it in there now.  ({silver arrow}), stuck in right hand.  Alongside the adamantine strands and the (cave spider silk cloth).  Apparently, his HMO didn't cover the removal of forbidden items.  I'm somewhat hesitant to reclaim it, for fear of some dwarf running up, yanking the damn thing out, and then sending the poor guy back into the hospital for some more incredibly valuable stitches.

Unfortunately, I think it's starting to get infected...  We've got a few cases of infection going around, and still no soap.

Speaking of soap, we appear to have hit yet another complication.  I've burned some logs into ash, turned that ash into lye, and even appointed a competent manager who was capable of verifying the work orders I set out.

The catch is, of course, that all the lye that's been produced is still contained in buckets.  The soaper will only use lye that's in barrels.  I've set up a stockpile specifically for the purpose of storing lye, but no one even wants to think about moving it there.  So as it stands, we've got all the ingredients, all the skill, and all the availability to make some life-saving soap.  The only thing stopping us is dwarven bureaucracy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just recently noticed a small boneyard room inside the fortress.  This is the fourth such designated stockpile I've found so far.  Do I detect a pattern?

Anyways, this thing was situated right next to a main thoroughfare and had lots of holes in it, so the rotting goblin carcasses inside were doing quite a fair job of making everyone unhappy.  For added giggles, this thing is directly across the hall from the main dining room.

I've installed a couple doors and some floor tiles to stop the spread of miasma from future rotting.  This really is one dreary place...

On a slightly lighter note, I've finally finished hooking up the mechanisms for the -3 treefarm's watering system.  I've also labeled the appropriate levers for convenience.  I haven't started flooding it however, as the place is still packed tight with stone and it hasn't been fully dug out yet (as I said, I planned some extensions).

There was a minor complication involving the digging out of the hospital's new water supply, but nothing too serious.  I haven't opened that one up yet, and I'm still mulling over my options for how to handle the water.

All in all, not much of note.  Although I did go look at the no-quality microcline statue of a cat we've got in storage (what a ridiculously appropriate item for DF), and I found out that our main bonecrafter has made a giant bat tooth earring.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 24, 2010, 10:15:06 pm »

Another short update.  I'm not getting all that much done at 7 FPS...

It's early Galena now, and the humans have arrived for some dealing.  It was almost painful watching them inch their way to the depot, especially seeing as the exceptionally helpful Mechgineer took exactly that moment to rush out and complete the final section of the extended wall, thus forcing the caravan to make an impromptu detour that added some forty tiles on to the distance.

I hastily told the dwarves to pile up all the crafts we've made and get them ready for trading.  For whatever reason, the broker himself decided to haul some items along, and I was incapable of telling him to do otherwise.

Eventually, the traders managed to make it all the way to the depot.  And in common dwarven fashion, our broker, who has spent the entirety of the year up to this point sitting on his hands with no activated jobs, decided that now was the perfect time to go into the dining hall and grab a drink, and then afterwards attend a party hosted by some brat in one of the main thoroughfares.

Dare I ask whose idea it was to create a statue garden in the middle of our stairwell?  Off of a no-quality statue depicting a group of warthogs no less?

We've lost a war dog.  One of the ones injured in some recent skirmish finally succumbed to infection and died in the hallway.  Always such a tragic moment when these noble beasts are struck down after loyally serving their masters...  We shall commemorate him by making bolts out of his skeleton and then shooting them into a wall.

Other than that, not much has happened.  I do apologize for not doing more story updates, but it's remarkably difficult when all your character does is sit around all day fading in and out of consciousness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:41 am »

I've had kind of a cramped playing schedule today, so we've gone through...  Oooh, about two and a half weeks in-game. 

I managed to discourage our trader from partying like it's 589 by removing the statue garden.  He still snuck a trip to the punch bowl before heading up though, and wasn't exactly sprinting his way towards the depot.

When he got there, I realized two things.  One, the dwarves had brought up all the "finished goods bins" that held only clothes.  I didn't want to sell clothes, I wanted to sell useless junk.

Two, the traders didn't bring anything really worth buying.

I've pawned off a large selection of tattered or worn clothing in exchange for a lot of wood (because we need more wood), some barrels and buckets (always good to have), another bin of leather (we didn't really need it, but I've got a lot of leather goods queued up), and some jaguar tripe (because...  Well, because it's freaking jaguar tripe).

Haven't had a chat with the liaison yet (actually, I haven't even seen him yet.  He'd better be around here somewhere...), but when I do I'm going to order up some barrels of lye, so we don't have to bother with that hideous process ever again.  We can finally reassign that poor jeweler I roped into duty for it...

Actually, since I haven't ordered anything yet, is there anything y'all would like to have delivered during your turn?  It's kinda silly having each overseer order something they want, only for the next person in line to be the one to get it.  I'm not ordering any more butterfly ichor, we've got enough of that as it is.

Oh, and some glorious idiot decided to stud a crutch with red diamond.  Red diamond.  What kind of dwarf would decorate something like that with such an incredibly rare and valuable...

Oh, right.  They'd all do it if they were given the chance.

I've either sold or given away all the crafts that showed up in the depot.  This means a ton of skull totems, plus some assorted mugs, rings, bracelets etc...   However, I held on to two items.  Two items that I felt had special significance for our fort.

A giant olm skull totem, and an exceptionally crafted scepter made from the tooth of a draltha.  We're gonna keep that thing as a reminder to those goddamn cave cows that we're the boss around here!  Long live Cavebrands!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 26, 2010, 01:57:39 am »

Nobody ever orders butterfly ichor or plants or crutches or cloth or leather, they just bring that stuff anyway. Not sure why.

Hah! You should dump our best skull totems outside to line the walkway and surround them with channels so they can't get stolen, to frighten would-be siegers.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 26, 2010, 09:15:03 am »

You should order plenty of charcoal, coke, diamonds, lignite blocks, b-coal blocks... pretty much anything that burns for extended periods of time that can be placed in a bin. I have plans.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 26, 2010, 02:31:06 pm »

My FPS quails at the mere thought of your devious machinations...  Glad you're coming after me. 

Nobody ever orders butterfly ichor or plants or crutches or cloth or leather, they just bring that stuff anyway. Not sure why.

But, but...  I ordered butterfly ichor!  And every other blood and goo type they were offering!  It was one of the most important things I did in my first term as overseer!

We've got a blood bank hiding around here somewhere.  It's all just sitting there, nobody can figure out a use for it.  It would be neat if we could hook up a barrel of blood and some intestines to make an IV for surgeries, but they never sell dwarf blood...

We could just dump it all into the main hall to create a spreading carpet of epic proportions.  That could be neat.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 26, 2010, 07:02:01 pm »

Personally I'd love to be able to fire barrels from catapults. That'd be awesome.

Just think of the possibilities.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 27, 2010, 09:38:06 pm »

Well, as per usual, the game likes to do everything at once.  So although we got a human caravan (good), we also got a number of goblin ambushers (bad).

Then a snatcher appeared.  And then two kobold thieves.  And then Dodôk made a masterpiece large rat skull totem.

Yeah.

The humans are situated rather firmly in our main entrance though, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  The caravan guards scared away the first batch of ambushers for us while our own squad was mobilizing.

When our fellows finally managed to figure out which end of the sword to hold onto, the first party had been crushed and was running away at full speed.  However, as they tend to do, goblin ambushers travel in multiple squads.  Thanks to this lovely fact, our activated soldiers (two axedwarves and a swordsdwarf, all with the honorary title of "hauler") soon discovered a full squad of axegoblins, led by a traitorous dwarf with a crossbow (although, interestingly enough, it said he was a priest.  Are we the victim of some holy war?  Are these dwarven terrorists?  Good grief).  Our soldiers rushed over and engaged the enemy.

...and performed remarkably well.  They slaughtered the entire group in moments, save for the two goblins fast enough to run out of reach.  One dwarf was even knocked over and swarmed at one point, but he fought them all off and suffered only a little cut to his scalp.  His was the only injury suffered by our boys.

While I'd be quite happy to think of this as the result of superior combat training and battlefield tactics, I suspect it has more to do with the fact that all the goblin weapons were made out of silver.  Silver, which doesn't make for very good weapons to begin with, is utterly ineffective against the mostly-bronze armor of the soldiers who went out.

Whatever the cause, this was excellent news!  Our mighty warriors had routed the enemy fair and square, and since all of the traps had been disabled last time we did it entirely through martial prowess!  Huzzah!  Victory for-

-Oh, right.  Shit.  There we have group #3.  Also known as the squad of pikegoblins led by another ranged-combat holy man(dwarf).  Group #3 had opted to position itself in our primary weak point (I say primary because, well, we really do have quite a number of them), which is to say up on the mountainside.

Yes, that is correct.  We had another doofus taking potshots at our haulers.  Yay.

Also, either that particular target had consumed some especially bad sewer brew earlier, or he had some kind of combination ADHD/short-term memory disorder.  I say this because, well...

That was over the course of a few seconds.

I've told the troops to run up the mountain and try scaring off this latest threat, and the various independent intruders have been scared off or slain.  Unbeknownst to them however, they have dealt a crippling blow to Cavebrands, and I was forced to retreat and halt my activities during this most exciting time.  Gentlemen, a battle plan is required to combat this latest foe:

Yep.  Sometimes it gets all the way up to 3, but it's sitting on 2 most of the time.  I have a difficult time considering the possibility of just slogging through this.  It will most likely clear up when the ambushers are driven off and we don't have any more infiltrated nasties sitting around, but I'd have to have some real determination to last that long.

So what'll it be lads; shall I pass it on to the next person in line, or grit my teeth and drag myself through it?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 27, 2010, 10:53:48 pm »

Maybe station a few dwarves at each weak point and leave it on overnight.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 28, 2010, 07:58:26 am »

In FPS matters, I'm a firm believer in "leave it on overnight".
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 28, 2010, 12:55:24 pm »

Keep playing, you'll soon be finished with this, all you need to do is keep strong.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38