Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65901 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 11:47:20 am »

It's not, actually.
which seems to be seventh
Perhaps you'd be interested in 8?

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 12:07:48 pm »

Oh, can we play on adventure/legends/arena while we wait?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 01:01:19 pm »

I can't see the harm in trawling through legends mode, and I've been giving some thought to the possibility of playing one of the other modes as well.  Just seems a bit cruel otherwise.

Adventure mode, however, apparently offers a remote chance for finding and checking out some of the new, ah, "features" firsthand.  And arena mode lets you figure out some of the quirks with combat nowadays, as well as providing you with details on some of the enemies we'll face (like, for example, the fact that iron men are far, FAR more dangerous than they ever were before).

But still, the on-the-level details of fighting won't give you *that* much of a leg-up as far as fortress building/management is concerned.  So, since y'all asked nicely and brought it up, I'm gonna have to give the okay for playing arena mode as much as your little hearts desire.  Besides, there's still plenty of other stuff that can't be spawned in the arena, so it doesn't exactly remove *all* the mystery...  Heh heh.

DFNewb, I'd be happy to have you on board, but I'm still going to have to give the others preferential status as far as placement is concerned, and I haven't heard anything from Katsuun or Paulus Fahlstrom yet.  It's just that they've agreed ahead of time, y'know...  I can put you ahead of other newcomers though, since you lack experience with Fort mode.

Also, I need to update the OP with more slots...  It's not like there are only ten places, it's just that I only made up ten to start with.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 02:02:04 pm »

I can put you ahead of other newcomers though, since you lack experience with Fort mode.

Well I haven't played Fort mode since 40D9 because I was waiting for the new version, so I know some stuff. I heard you can milk now, that sounds interesting. Was burrows implemented yet? That was the addition I was waiting for the most. 
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

Er, I actually read a bunch of threads about it... was I not supposed to do that? I haven't actually downloaded it yet...

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 02:11:49 pm »

I cannot wait. I'll not be touching the new version until my turn, so expect me to make some fatal mistake.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 03:33:02 pm »

Things are going swimmingly, one might say.

Y'all will have to wait for the summary until I finish, however.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 03:55:35 pm »

Things are going swimmingly, one might say.

This comment is remarkably disturbing.  Well done!

And Cheddarius, yeah...  The idea behind not playing the game before the turn was that we were supposed to know as little as possible before playing.  But since this fort was also supposed to be used as a gameplay exploration device, any information discovered and posted in this thread is of course free for all those coming along next in line.

But for all the other, more informed threads out there, we're supposed to stay away from those.  They might give a person the advantage of knowing what to expect, and that's precisely what we're trying to avoid.

Exactly how far did your readings take you?  And if this stuff was of a somewhat spoilery nature, I'd appreciate it if you sent me a PM instead of posting it here.  Bug reports and warnings of crippling game-destroying "quirks" are excusable, but still somewhat frown-inducing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:49 pm »

Well, I've decided to start a project that will hopefully allow us to reach the depths. I don't know what we might run into down there, but I'm bringing along a waterpipe just in case, to be unleashed upon the nearest threat. If mixed with magma, Fun may ensue.

It's such an awesome feeling not knowing what I might run into next.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2010, 05:18:13 pm »

The sensitive things I read were about the HFS, and new things of that nature. However, I don't think it'll make much of a difference in my reign. I have never breached HFS or found clownite, not once, so I'll have no idea how to deal with it even if I do find it. I'll wall it off and run.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2010, 05:21:04 pm »

Will we have a full-fortress swimming pool, an entire flooded map or a pool of blood, takin' all bets!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »

At the moment we simply have a HUGE wall being made around us and our mountain in hopes of a meager defense when sieges come.

The delving has revealed another cavern complex, and we are still 35 z-levels from the floor.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2010, 07:01:11 pm »

Do Visual Fortress and such work with 2010?

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2010, 07:18:35 pm »

I wouldn't think so, different code and offset and all that. You'd have to check with the makers to be certain.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 04:39:59 am »

I got the most recent update to 40d and Visual Fortress didn't work with that, so I doubt it'd work with 2010.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38