Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 66001 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #510 on: August 11, 2010, 11:46:37 pm »

While Creiydrek distracted the invaders, even taking a few down with him, the caravan sneaked out and escaped undetected.

The goblins were eventually driven off by Cavebrands' intricate web of traps that spanned the fort, but they did not leave empty-handed.

The winter months passed quickly.  The survivors did no work the entire time, having little to do but spend their days talking, drinking, throwing parties with imaginary guests, smoothing their hideaway, and biding their time.

For what?  They didn't dare ponder too long.

I really did the best I could, but I got completely taken by surprise.  We actually repelled all three sieges, but not without horrible casualties, and the demon master never left.  I had plans to radically alter our entrance and clean up the place but they got completely dashed in their tracks.

A woodworker got chased into the underground and trapped when the second siege started.  I used him to chop down the trees holding Basen and the thing came up into the fort and started killing off the wounded.  I was hoping it would attack our besiegers since it's a lot easier to manage one forgotten beast than a castle full of goblins, but then two FBs came within two game weeks of each other, which I didn't even know was possible, and they came to the surface as well.

There's only three real survivors (not counting Creiydrek the eternal torture victim) but they're incredibly safe and well-off.  They have enough food and drink for over a decade.  And since the goblins all left, and the caravan left with an ABSURD profit (perhaps a million dwarfbucks, we had so much junk) we might actually get some migrants in the near future.

There are two major considerations:

1)  The demon master, who appears to have no intention of leaving the main stairwell.

2)  Stockpiles are borked.  There is so much garbage everywhere I think it'll be impossible to manage without mass-forbidding.

There is a third, lesser consideration.  There are only three survivors not counting the unhappy child.

So there you have it.  The fort, such as it is, lives on.  I'm sorry about the mess.

Save is here.
  I almost forgot, the save is updated to 31.12.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:59:16 pm by SethCreiyd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 12, 2010, 12:17:41 am »

Wonderfully done, SethCreiyd!  Managing to lose 85 dwarves in a single year...  Now that takes true skill!

Right, well, couldn't have hoped for a better ending actually.  Nothing quite like a glorious rising up from the seat of oblivion, yeh?  Wonderful work on the updates, as always.

Argonnek, can you take the save or would you like some more time?  I'm sure Cheddarius would be more than happy to clean up this murderpit.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 12, 2010, 01:08:30 am »

Well, cleaning up train wrecks is a hobby of mine, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to play. Let me test something out first, though, before skipping me.

Oh, Seth? You write awesome entries.

Edit: IT LIVES!! Okay, it's running. At 9 fps, sadly, but I'll take what I can get. Due to the nature of my quick fix, I won't be able to easily upload pictures. I'll try, but it won't be often. Due to the fact that it's half an hour before tomorrow (where I am, anyway), I'll be posting updates later.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:29:58 am by Argonnek »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 12, 2010, 04:04:03 am »

Thanks Argonnek :)  May you have far better fortune than I did.

Glad to be of service, Kagus.  Once the survivors were safe I gave up on trying to achieving anything meaningful and just tried to make months of idling as interesting as possible.  I didn't dare let them wander around because of &.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:10:41 am by SethCreiyd »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 12, 2010, 11:38:29 am »

Journal of Argonnek Ngotundumat, Mayor of Cavebrands.

The past few months have been... Horrifying. We were besieged by goblins, Demons, beasts that seemed impossible until you saw them.

All seemed lost, but one shining beacon of light let us live. The former overseer, Creiydrek, helped us keep our heads during the chaos and gave us the chance we needed to survive. Once our hidey hole was secured he did the unthinkable and left to try and drive out the remaining forces, but even those blessed by Armok have limits.

It has been long since he left and the agreed upon knock has not been heard. We can only assume the worst.

Until such a time has come that we are safe to leave this place, I will be in charge of the few remaining dwarves. The first order of business will be obtaining a better room and office for me. One can only rule effectively if one has a decent place to sleep.

I will pray to Doren for wealth in numbers, as well as wealth in coin.

Well, this is interesting, to say the least. I'm going to have to postpone my magma-based plans due to massive invasion forces at my doors.
Because of more scheduling conflicts I have to leave in half an hour or so, but I'll be back in time to play some more and hopefully get something done.
Doren, by the way, is the god of wealth.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 12, 2010, 01:07:32 pm »

Ziril is also the god of wealth and shiny things.  Two perfectly suitable entries for a dwarven pantheon, but they're backed up by that weirdo goddess who likes birth, pregnancy, and love.  Ecch.

Well...  This should be quite interesting indeed.  I don't really know what we can do to evict that demonic moleman, and considering his current list of kills I'd say it's safe to assume that wandering migrant groups aren't going to be enough to dethrone him.

One thing that might be interesting is to find some method of making crossbow bolts, and then either dig or build a shooting platform.  From what little I know, this molemaster can neither fly nor throw fireballs, so getting someone to ever so slowly plink away at him might eventually do something.  Plus, it'd be good experience.

Unfortunately, just having one person do that would be taking away one third of our workforce, and military dwarves don't return to normal work due to some weird bug.  Also, I have no idea what kind of capabilities we have as far as actually producing bolts.

Damn...  I don't think I've ever seen a thief make off with an artifact before.  That's hardcore.  I wonder if we're going to end up with kobold raiding parties now...  That would just be the cherry on top now wouldn't it?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 13, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »

"But Mayor, I need to get my stuff!" Stinthad screamed for the thousandth time.

"No, you don't need to go out there and kill yourself for a sock." Argonnek replied. Again.

"But... But Mayor!"

"No."

This exchange continued like this for hours, just as it had every day since things had settled down after the doors were sealed.

When not being harassed by the spoiled brat, Argonnek wandered around their bunker, pondering how long he would have to be trapped in here with this annoying twerp.

Little did he know, a group of pioneering dwarves gathered on the horizon.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 13, 2010, 03:58:54 pm »

Oh armok please dorf me now

This is such a buitifull train wreck that I must be part of it

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 13, 2010, 04:52:37 pm »

The migrants gazed upon the carnage of the front gate and heard the wailing of the trolls from within as they descended the hill overlooking the pass. They gathered in one of the entrances and tried to figure out what to do.

A tanner, who called himself Erush Breachearth, stood on top of a pile of clothing and armor and addressed the crowd once everyone was assembled.

"We came here to escape our problems and to make a new life in the wealthy border fortress of Cavebrands, we thought that we would be able to provide skills that this fortress would need, but we were wrong. This fortress doesn't need my tanning skill, it doesn't need weavers, it doesn't need animal caretakers. It needs soldiers and warriors to drive out the infestation that currently plagues its halls.
I will take with me nine brave souls who will willingly die to defend this, our new home. Who is with me?"

At first, no one spoke out, and it seemed no one would until Avuz, a bowyer, stepped forward. Then came Kogan and Oddom. Brave dwarves stepped up until they were ready to move.

Erush smiled at the group of dwarves that stood before him and said: "Take any weapons or armor you find on the bodies around here and be ready for the ordeal that awaits us."

Everyone scattered to find armor and weapons, each grabbing anything that could be used to kill. Some, instead of gathering weapons nearby, ran onto the walls and discovered the trolls before they were armed and attacked with their fists.

Hearing the commotion, Erush cursed under his breath and rushed to help with an iron scourge in his hand.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 13, 2010, 06:24:21 pm »

Please mark me down for the next available turn.  I'm optimistic.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 13, 2010, 07:14:16 pm »

The battle was long and exhausting, but the dwarves managed to destroy the Troll occupation forces.

After the battle, Erush gathered his troops and took a head count.

"Lets see... Wait, Avuz is missing, and so are Nish and Sazir. I don't see their bodies anywhere, where could they--"

He was interrupted by an eldrich scream coming from overhead, where the mass grave was located. He ran up to investigate. What he saw turned his stomach and nearly made him retch. An enormous, skinless mole, corrupted by demonic evil into a perverse mockery of humanoid form, ravaging the bodies of his three missing men, as well as that of some adamantine-clad dwarf he'd never seen before. He couldn't speak, he just ran until he hit a wall and fell into a fetal position.

His men ran to him, and Kogan said, "Sir? Sir! What's wrong? What did you see?!"

All Erush could do was shiver.
"N-N-N-No" He whispered "N-N-N-N-No..."

Kogan stood up and gave his commander a stern look, then turned to the rest of the assembly.
"Our commander is temporarily incapacitated, and until this changes, I will lead our squad. Go and help the civilians rebuild this fort, and for Armok's sake, wall off that section before whatever the hell is in there gets hungry. Hurry Up! That's an ORDER!"

Argonnek, after once again arguing with the irritating brat, went to his chambers and prayed to Doren to ask if it was safe to leave. He never received an answer to this question in the past, and was starting to wonder if he ever would.

"Do not doubt me, mortal." Doren snapped at him.

Argonnek started and nearly yelped when he saw Doren standing before him. He fell to his knees and did the ritual hand motions to show loyalty to his goddess.

"I-I wanted to ask--" Argonnek feebly replied.

"I know what you want," Doren spat. "All you mortals only want one thing: wealth, gold, shiny things that you think look pretty. Fine, I shall allow you to be wealthy once more. There are no more trolls for you to fear, mortal, you are free to leave this place without immediate danger to your lives."

"Thank you, my Lady, but... What of the demon..." Argonnek asked quietly. When he received no answer he dared a glance up. He saw Doren looking down at him with a cruel smirk on her face. She chuckled quietly and vanished.

He left the room and announced to the other survivors the good news.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 13, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »

After two days of sitting in a fetal position, Erush suddenly stood up and wrested control of the military from Kogan.

"Listen to me! I have seen the child of evil itself! We must Destroy the monstrosity, no matter what the cost! Follow me, soldiers, we will destroy this thing of evil, we will end the oppression of its presence! We, the dwarves of Cavebrands will fight to our last breath to destroy this thing and reclaim Our Fortress!"

He charged up the slope and began bashing the monster with his scourge. He knew he would not survive this fight, but he's would gladly lose his life to end the life of this evil.

OOC: I tried very hard to keep him from going near the demon, but noooo, he just HAD to risk his life to reclaim the graveyard. Inconsiderate jerk.

The battle continues! But i have a headache. I'm done for today.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:58:00 pm by Argonnek »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 16, 2010, 06:55:52 am »

...How many dwarves do we have by now? Two, three? If more than three, dorf me, I'll hope to survive until my turn - which I'd again like to notice I'm shitting blueprints for. Literally. I replaced my toilet with a scanner by now.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »

Sorry for the delay, guys, I have to travel across the state today, and will only have access to a capable computer tomorrow (that's why I moved my turn earlier).

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »

The civilians ran around, tending to whatever task they had set their minds to, completely ignoring the screams and the sounds of cracking bones coming from the mass grave area. They didn't seem to care that the ten dwarves who risked, and even sacrificed, their lives to clean out the fort had yet to return to them.

Argonnek wandered around, hauling this, deconstructing that, doing nothing very interesting. He, however, noticed something wrong with the picture: The wall that would keep the demon in place wasn't being built! He walked up to Kol, the mason.

"What is the meaning of this? Why is the protective wall not being built!?" He demanded loudly.

"Aww, come on, mayor, that sounds hard. Is it really necessary? I don't like doing more than is necessary." She replied.

"YES! Unless you would enjoy being mauled by a skinless mole demon, I suggest you make it a priority." After saying this, Argonnek starting foaming at the mouth.

"Okay, whatever you say 'mayor.'" Kol said. She then decided she was thirsty and headed straight for the booze stockpile.

Not dead! Actually, neither is Erush, he's still bravely fighting the mole demon. Sadly, I'm getting very little FPS, and it's still mid-spring ingame. This could take a while.

I do believe Erush is winning the battle. That's... more than a little surprising.
Nope, hand torn off. I jinxed it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:09:20 pm by Argonnek »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38