Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65454 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Cavebrands
« on: April 02, 2010, 03:44:26 am »

Here it is, folks...  The craziest of the crazy have decided to embark on an epic adventure of failure, hardship, sideburns, tomcats and hilariously bugged professions. 

Welcome to Round 2!  Cavebrands has somehow managed to survive the onslaught of both the original Pioneers and those who came after.  Now it's time to open up the roster and welcome one and all to test their mettle against the disturbingly resilient dwarves of this oddball fort.

I hope you're ready for this, 'cause we sure as hell aren't.  Let's do this!

--Expedition Log of Chief Medical Officer Sigun Rigòthital

1st Granite, 589

Well, we're here.  I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but this place certainly wasn't it.  We've stopped at the creek that naturally divides the small valley we just came out of, and the mountain towering ahead of us.

The mountain is impressive, certainly, but...   I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled.  I've just never had much of a taste for mountains covered in, well...

...but that's really beside the point. 

Imush, the leader of this beardbrained expedition, commanded us to stop and unhook the pack animals pulling the cart, and to start taking stock of our remaining supplies while devising a plan for entering the mountain.

We've brought along the basic necessities for keeping an exploratory mining outpost alive until the supply caravan reaches us in fall.  Four dogs, a cow and a mare comprise our animal stock.  We've also brought along a tomcat to help keep the supplies safe from vermin (at least in theory...  The feline has proven to be far more interested in simply sitting on top of the wine barrel and simply observing the bugs and mites parading around below it). 

Imuth has found it prudent to haul along an anvil from the mountainhomes, in lieu of any actual equipment...  He has stated that every dwarf has an innate ability to forge metal implements bred into him by years of living underneath them.  This falls into his general philosophy of "wisdom through being beneath something".  I've been meaning to question this line of reasoning multiple times, but never quite got around to it.

We've also brought along a small amount of lumber, several barrels of drink (although we've made a significant dent in the rum stocks since leaving the mountainhomes) and a disturbing number of cave lobsters.  Imuth told me about the indecision he felt when walking through the bazaars back home...  Apparently, the selection was somewhat overwhelming...

...he also took the time to tell me about his younger years, when he apparently took an interest in becoming a Concentration.   I asked him what exactly a "Concentration" was, but he didn't elaborate.

He claims to have completely forgotten what he learned "Back there".  Where exactly "Back there" is, he never said.  I'm guessing it was some sort of training camp or whatever.

As for the other delightful members of this party, I have several choice words...  But they're good enough people.

Zefon, Stinthäd and Vucar are essentially just goons.  Imuth found them loitering around outside the quarry in Waxedhelmets.  All three hopped aboard eagerly, ready to find some new rock to stick their picks into.  Odd sorts, but then again I've heard good things about women in the mines, so...

Urvad is a leathery old bat who's been working the plump helmet fields for as long as I can remember.  She's a good sort and we get along well, although she does have a rather odd liking for farming in sunlight...  Odd sort.

Monom is the expedition cook, and she's always struck me as being slightly mad...  Her memory is remarkably "leaky", for lack of a better word, and she frequently mumbles to herself when she's brewing something.  Disturbing, to say the least, but she means well, and I haven't found any "unexpected surprises" in any of my meals.  At least not yet...

Well, with nothing left to note, I suppose I'll just leave a comment here about how one of the dogs has come up to me and promptly settled itself down on my foot.  With any luck, I'll look back on this log and remark as to how inconsequential that event was.  But what can I say...  It's a large dog.

--End of Entry

Spoiler: Round 1 (click to show/hide)

Round 2:
  • Kagus (finished)
  • SethCreiyd (finished)
  • Argonnek (incapacitated)
  • Cheddarius (also incapacitated)
  • toescs (finished)
  • LordSlowpoke (in for the kicker)
  • BadSyntax
  • NightmareBros
  • melkorp

Booyeah.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:56:44 am »

Turn seven here.
Also, nice set of stuff you have there.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:35:31 am »

Ill be taking the 2nd one unless someone else realy wants it. More than I do that is, heheh.

I just genned a world (no dont worry, im not going to play it) to get myself a neat parameter set and looked in the legends. Its hilarious! There is a giant drooling skinless giraffe, and a hydra that still lives after more then a millenium and devoured a rediculous number of trolls.

Edit: Looks like I gotta stay away from other forum topic untill I finish as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:37:38 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:23 am »

This sounds fantastic already. :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:56:06 am by Mason11987 »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:22:38 am »

I guess I'll take third turn! Looks like my first fortress is about to be eaten by an angry troll because my military is incompetent.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:03:03 am »

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I'd like to line mine up on a weekend or some such thing so I can play more; how long is a turn, usually?

hyperbox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 09:14:58 am »

I'll take the 4th turn  ;D

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:27:00 am »

I believe I called the 2nd turn first. Besides, I need to finish it and go run SparkGear X ASAP.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »

Turn five for me, please.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:04:43 pm »

No turn, but WILL FOLLOW!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:19:54 pm »

I'll be taking the 10th turn. I really hope that toady will have ironed out most of the horribly crippling bugs by then.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:47:02 pm »

I'll watch this, but I'm already signed up for more than I can handle. So I'll just take a named dwarf if one is avaliable. Otherwise, no worries.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 03:55:40 pm »

Just to clear some stuff up, this is a special-condition succession fortress that requires its players to not play the newest version until their turn comes around.  This is to promote ignorance about the workings of the game, and to ensure that we are as inexperienced and ill-prepared as possible. 

However, anything discovered and announced in this thread can be used by players coming in afterwards.

We've already got a list of people who agreed to these conditions (see the original thread here), so we're going to run through those people before allowing in other people.  Sorry lads, but that's the scoop.

Now, on to the workshop issue...   This is a particularly interesting issue, since I dumped the starting tools for an anvil, four bars of copper and four bars of coke (plus a few extra supplies for the 20 points I got in spare change).  This means we actually can't start off with workshops placed where we want them to remain forever and always, since we can't even get underground until we set up at least a forge (which brings up another interesting issue...  I'll have to build the forge out of one of the bars of copper.  Some pretty damn incredible forethought going on here).

Now, this void tile bug is somewhat iffy...  Apparently, there have only been sporadic reports of it, and it doesn't always appear.  Now, I'd like to get started on actually playing out my turn (I'm sure you all are), but I'd really rather not have to deal with a potentially crippling bug.  Shall I wait for a fix, or just save (and backup) repeatedly and hope for the best?

On the bright side, I don't see any giant eagles.  Of course, I haven't a clue what kind of insanity is waiting inside the mountain...

EDIT:  Oh, and Cheddarius, as far as how long a turn lasts...  Well, I honestly can't say.  With my current schedule, I'm expecting my turn to take anywhere from three days to a week, all depending on how smoothly the new version runs on my machine.  However, my rig happens to be about a decade old, so take that into consideration...

Turns are one in-game year, to make things simpler.  But, since I haven't actually done anything yet, I suppose we could shorten it if the majority wants something like a seasonal hand-off.  It just seems slightly abrupt to me.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 04:11:27 pm »

I want the quickest available turn possible, and as for the turn-taking I dont think I could last for a few weeks :P Seasonal might be good afterall, or maybe bi-annually (End of winter, end of summer)
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 05:39:16 pm »

I'd prefer yearly turns, but I'd be willing to compromise with bi-anually.  Seasonal is a bit short for my taste.

Just my $.02.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 38