Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65463 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 05:43:08 pm »

Alright, I've started digging.  We'll figure out this workshop mess when the time comes.  For now, frequent saving is the way to go.

The entrance design is looking impressive, but will likely be flawed in some way due to my amazing abilities in regards to forethought.  I've mapped out some workshop areas near the entrance for stonecrafters and masons, along with a stone stockpile.  This is directly underneath the main entrance, and is connected to the "rod" that I intend to use as a central access highway through the z-levels.  I like highways.

This design isn't exactly great for defensive purposes, but it does provide a lot of room for dwarves to move around in, it looks nice, it provides some level of dynamic design, and it allows for me to come up with busywork for the miners when they've got nothing better to do.

Zeofar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:23 pm »

I'll take turn 6.  Be warned - I'm not that great a player.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 06:06:30 pm »

I've added a notification to the first post to help clear some things up as to the nature of this fortress.

In other news, we've got a couple layers of marble to chew through, and we've also got malachite up the yin-yang.  I foresee a great number of copper items in the future.

I can't quite shake the feeling that there's something terribly, terribly wrong with this entrance design, but at this point it's more important to get something done than it is to ensure that everything's top-quality.  Besides, with constructions, we can always just patch stuff up again or alter the design later on.

Also, I can't find bones or shells in the stockpile options, and it appears that those cave lobsters I took along aren't dropping anything when consumed.  This is slightly worrisome, but it might be intended (as in, that stuff gets produced when the thing gets cleaned, which makes more sense than the old method).

Aaand we just hit some cassiterite.  Guess we'll have some bronze to round things out.  I doubt that our iron supply will be too impressive however, so we'll just have to make do with whatever goblinite we can get away with.  Still though, it's nice to have some variety.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:57 pm »

I'll take the latest turn possible - 9, I think.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 06:45:49 pm »

This is going much faster than expected.  Although worldgen and site-searching are both much slower, the actual gameplay seems to have sped up a fair deal.  I'm already at summer.  If current trends follow, I may be able to pack this thing off by this evening...  Tomorrow at the very latest.

We've run into a fair amount of galena as well, and I can see outcroppings of it visible around the map.  Due to the high concentration of metal veins, I've unfortunately been wasting a fair amount in order to mine out the basic structure of this fort, what with the miners being as inexperienced as they are.

All the same though, there's tons of the stuff lying around.  And since we can make actual training weapons out of wood, silver doesn't serve a whole lot of purpose now anyways.

I don't have much in the way of trading goods yet, just a bunch of mechanisms (and a traction bench, whatever the hell that is), but then again I don't really need a whole lot.  We've got food and drink to last us a little while longer at least (actually, I should probably get around to setting up a little farm plot next to the brook or something, just so we can keep early booze and plant stocks high).

Everything's looking to be pretty decent so far...  Except for one tiny little snag.

Yeah.  Here we go again...

EDIT:  Uhh, it would also appear that Toady has managed to cross wires with the whole decomposition process again.  The camp is covered in a blanket of vermin corpses that refuse to rot.

I think we may need to dig down soon, just so we can get a nice magma dump going...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 07:35:35 pm »

--Journal of Chief Medical Officer Sigun Rig̣thital

3rd Malachite, 589

A group of wandering dwarves happened upon our camp today.  They said that they're refugees from a nearby village, claiming that they had been forced out of their homes by goblin raiders.  They managed to get away with the clothes on their backs and a few young stock animals, but are otherwise utterly without possessions or food.

When I explained our own situation, they volunteered to aid us in setting up the outpost.  The journey back to the mountainhomes on foot is far too long without any real supplies, and we could always use a few extra laborers, so I brought the matter before Imuth. 

Imuth, who happened to be dragging a large, heavy chunk of granite along the ground, seemed quite receptive to the idea of getting a few more able hands into the camp.  I can't possibly imagine why...

The quarry gals have been doing fine work, and have carved out a fair-sized area under the mountain.  We're still far from ready to move in properly, but at least we can sleep inside for a change.

And a good thing, too...  I've been seeing some disturbingly large bird droppings on the mountainside lately.

--End of Entry

EDIT:  Teensy little problem on the food front...  Apparently, booze meals are deconstructing themselves again.  I'm not completely sure if this is intended behavior or not.

Anyways, this means I need to start doing some fishing and gathering pronto, otherwise we're essentially out of food.

By the way, milking works now.  As soon as I set the job up in the farmer's workshop, a dwarf ran out, took a barrel, climbed the mountainside, grabbed our cow from its lofty perch, dragged it back down to the workshop, got tackled by said cow, and presto!  Cow milk.

One unit of cow milk, valued at one dwarfbuck, to be exact.

EDIT2:  Okaaay...   Horse cheese.  Not sure I want to think about that too long.

In other news, I just took a peek in the options for the food stockpile.  This originally started out as just figuring out what all I could milk, but then I started looking at animal extracts in general.

Aside from finding several pages of "Forgotten Beast Extract" options, I also found two listings for "Hill Titan Extract".  Also, if this stockpile is to be any indication, our world has been terrorized by Peach Monsters and Cream Devils.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 09:21:17 pm »

I will not be joining this fortress, I've had the misfortune to be banned from playing games on the computer...  :(

Regardless, I will follow and note when something bad happens how I would have made it much worse.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 09:29:59 pm »

...cream devil extract?
Maybe you should think about that horse cheese some more. Otherwise...
Urist McFrankenstein: It's alive!

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 09:49:33 pm »

Just remember: you can milk anything with nipples. All female mammals have nipples.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:20:29 pm »

Yes, but it seems like it would be pretty inefficient for animals other than cows/goats/etc., which produce ludicrous amounts of milk...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 11:16:53 pm »

Excuse me, I have to go chow down on some Ass* Cheese.

*Donkey, ye guttermind!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 11:47:18 pm »

Excuse me, I have to go chow down on some Ass* Cheese.

*Donkey, ye guttermind!
Actually, that'd be a mule...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 01:13:31 am »

According to the stockpile list, I can make camel, horse, donkey, cow and purring maggot milk.  No dog milk or cat cheese, unfortunately (so much for my dreams of living peacefully off of my pack of war dogs, milking them occasionally for their sweet, sweet doggy dairy). 

Speaking of cats, one of the migrants brought along a kitten.  A female kitten.

A claimed female kitten.

We're all doomed.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 01:19:41 am »

Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 01:25:06 am »

You must be new here...

Anyways, my curiosity got the better of me, and I looked up what the hell a "traction bench" is on Wikipedia.  As it turns out, the thing is basically a rack...  But for medicinal purposes.

Supposedly it's useful in straightening out the spine or clearing up overlapping fractures and it helps in the mending of bones.  But we all know that this thing was really based off of the theory that "laughter is the best medicine"...

Obviously, they didn't understand that it was the patient who was supposed to do the laughing.

EDIT:  Another migrant wave, this one coming in from an unexpected direction...  Namely, the top of the mountain.  They brought cats.

This is a nightmare.

Also, I'm installing a quantum dump/atom smasher outside to deal with all these dead lizards and toads.  It's starting to get a bit unnerving with all those little purple squiggles over everything...

EDIT2:  Oh dear lord we're doomed.  The refuse stockpile "parts" menu just revealed this:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 38