Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65448 times)

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #360 on: July 10, 2010, 04:20:12 pm »

Multiple Cavebrands postings tonite, apologies to all for delay!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 10, 2010, 07:13:11 pm »

The Diary of Bomrek Salvewaded

With my host Bomrek's eyes, I see signifigance everywhere: sites of great battles, the purpose of levers.  Excellent.  My first act is to assign every dwarf a bed, it will foster a sense of security. 

The militia's single squad of ten, the Fenced gulfs, is given a barracks underneath the great gates (with it's sobering rows of coffins) and an equipment list: 5 axes, 5 short swords, plate armor for all.  Training is now a matter of personal responsibility.  Hopefully there are enough bronze plate items kicking around to give our soldiers a fighting chance.  Steel armor and weapons must be smithed. 

Security: the abundance and variety of traps at work here is terrifying.  Nonetheless, I send masons out to finish the outer wall where natural ramps meet level changes.  Within hours, all available masons have trapped themselves on top of the wall.  I abandon the project in disgust: no time for micromanagement. 

Perhaps leaving the Captain of the Guard's post empty was the right decision: I ruefully note that my flesh puppet gracious host Bomrek Salvewaded has yet to serve out his 26 day stint in prison. 

Our militia commander is found bleeding out in a hospital bed, next to a pus encrusted skeleton.  Disgusting!  Former Lord Cheddarius has voluntarily forgone all labor save healthcare, and a well is being dug so he can begin to establish the rudiments of hygeine.

16 Opal
Enervating adversity: The well freezes, a crude shack is hastily erected around it.  The Fenced Gulfs drill in their new barracks but won't equip, an arsenal dwarf is hastily appointed.  So many details!  All I desire are soldiers and a clean hospital for the wounded before the next attack!  Time is against us. 

Our soldiers: the 'Gulfs are a less than terrifying sight in their rags.  Their commander will almost certainly never rise again, he is replaced, almost at random, with a butcher named 'Blutwurst'. 

26 Opal
Creiyd enters the barracks.  He opens a bin.  He dons steel greaves.  It's happening.   

7 Obsidian
Something in the stone dump ... glowing faintly blue ... no.  No.  It can't be. 

40 units total.  20 more in the food pile.  I mistook it for microcline.  The True Metal was not just a legend!  In the weapons bin: Masterful adamantine swords and axes!  Where were they?  Again I find there is more to Cavebrands than meets the eye.  Perhaps the complete history of this fortress can someday be told, perhaps future scholars could compile...but I have no time.

12 Obsidian
With shock and revulsion, I realized today I have been gathering and burying the remains of long-dead dwarves in a hall originally meant for dogs.  May the dead forgive me, I have no time for the niceties.  The connnnnnn---
(illegible)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57052.msg1389204#msg1389204
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:50:08 pm by melkorp »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2010, 12:13:19 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57052.msg1389204#msg1389204

The Diary of Bomrek Salvewaded
no date

--time for...Blood of Armok, I've returned to Cavebrands.  All is well. 

21st Granite
22 idlers today: the most ever.  These are easily the hardest working dwarves anywhere.  Finally the bodies are buried, finally the thousands of pieces of craft are sorted into piles.  Someday, when all the stone is hauled, this will be a Mountainhome of unsurpassed beauty. 

Kol Ringplunged had been a strange mood forever, we assumed he was gathering exotic materials for a mighty craft: he made a willow cage.  No gems, just willow.  Thanks, Kol.   

14th Slate
Urdim Loloksesh, the Queen's Liason, has been in a meeting with the mayor for almost a year now.  I'm, um, even deader of curiosity. 

16th Slate
These are the Forgotten Beasts at Cavebrands.  I have no idea how long they have threatened the dwarves here, ever seeking a way in, but I know this:

Avus Zedotas
A great scorpion composed of tube agate.  It has a pair of long antennae and it squirms and fidgets.  Beware its poisonous sting!

Sodor Usmdasegngun
A gigantic eyeless starling.  It has a short horn and a bloated body.  It's chocolate feathers are downy.  Beware its deadly spittle!

I mention it only because Sodor the Ashen Urn, appeared inside the courtyard today, far past both trap fields.  It must have emerged from one of the many staircases from here to the underworld.  The 'Gulfs were mobilized and sent into battle.  Kosoth FIkodzokun, novice axedwarf, after striking a few blows with his ordinary iron axe, sidestepped the charging Beast and hamstrung it: it simply died.  No dwarven casualties, not a scratch.   

1st Felsite
Migrants, dozens of them, from the north.  How excited, how full of hope they seem.  There's so much still to be done: hundreds of stones to clear, bins to carve, crafts to sort, rooms to design, mighty adamantine armor to wreak.  The future is so bright for Cavebrands.  I can hardly see, it's so bright.  The light... I'm fading... so much left to do... I never found out how that meeting went... almost gone... no one will ever know I was here...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57052.msg1390282#msg1390282
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:21:12 am by melkorp »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 11, 2010, 12:19:03 am »

Oh man, that's epic. I'm actually dealing with a forgotten beast myself in Skyscrapes; I thought I had a good chance, but it just keeps regenerating. Ugh.

Which projects have you finished or made progress on? Here's the list:

Clear out the farm area on level -8 - in progress.
Make some farms on level -8.
Train up our brewers - in progress.
OPERATION PUT THE LAUGHTER IN SLAUGHTER
Make more bins/barrels - in progress.
Make crafts for the caravans.
Flood the tree farm.
Make bone bolts - in progress.
Make a ton of statues for the dining room, bedrooms, road, etc.
Make the bedrooms better. Masterwork engravings and statues on every square inch - in progress.
OPERATION STONECLEAR - in progress
Create big bedrooms for leaders/tantrumers.
Finish the catapult bank.
Finish the level -35 metal shop - delete the bars option from the level -2 workshop stockpile, make a bars stockpile there, an ore stockpile there, etc.
Make bronze ballista arrows and weaponry
Make a military
Train siege operators.
Construct siege burrow.
Construct archer towers.
Make dining room on first floor.
Make mighty tombs for the fallen.
Make war upon the cavern beasts.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 11, 2010, 12:42:57 am »

Little was accomplished, but it was all important stuff:

Made a single squad military with 9 soldiers in a dedicated barracks with novice-to-adequate training, crappy-to-great armor, and adequate-to-fantastic weapons.

Got hospital functioning and built a wellhouse in the courtyard for water and cleaning.

There's a whole, whole lot of bone bolts.

The adamantine industry is getting back on its feet.

Nobody died.   

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 11, 2010, 02:17:45 am »

Excellent! Excellent!

I will try to work on that hospital.
I don't want to use adamantine, I'm wary of it, because it's so limited. If we run out, that's it, we can never get more.

A wellhouse is great, really great. Thanks for that.

Kagus, could you try to finish the tree farm? I'm not sure if I'm experienced enough to do it well, but you seem like a good player who will do the job well.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 11, 2010, 09:31:21 am »

Cavebrands turn 14: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2654

Things are turning around for Cavebrands: the military is active, Forgotten Beast blood stains the courtyard.  The place is still a right mess, though, and i never did fix that wall. 

We're at like 88 dwarves!

Sorry for the long delays and I hope my Battlefailed crossover links weren't too annoying.  Everyone should read Battlefailed, it's equally classic.   Thanks y'all!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 11, 2010, 12:14:16 pm »

Thanks to you as well, Melkorp.  You've done well.

Alright lads, that means Round 2 slots are ready for takers!  I've kept the turns-per-round number at the haphazard 14, partly because it fits the same size as the hastily-expanded Round 1 and also because it seems thematically relevant that we'd be "One up from unlucky".

I'll try to get my turn cooked and served up as soon as I can.  Heh, it'll be quite something to see Cavebrands again in its new state...

Kagus, could you try to finish the tree farm? I'm not sure if I'm experienced enough to do it well, but you seem like a good player who will do the job well.

I used to be a decent player.  That was ages ago.  But I'll see what I can do...  And, hey, did we really need that many usable floors?  We can afford having one more with fish on the ceiling.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 11, 2010, 01:33:41 pm »

I haven't linked up the relevant levers, by the way, so you'll need to do that - for some reason the flashing yellow X's that marked the door to be linked weren't properly displaying.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 11, 2010, 02:02:34 pm »

The giant charcoal man is horrifying.  We must capture him and use him against our enemies.

Awesome job, melkorp.  I enjoyed the crossover, though being part of both forts probably helps.  :)  I would definitely like a turn, after Cheddarius'.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 11, 2010, 05:26:08 pm »

Try and set the charcoal man on fire. If he's really made of charcoal, he'll burn and be consumed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »

Alright, downloading the new version...  I've been hesitant to throw myself into this again, since I haven't played DF in some time.  I expect very little to be accomplished, but I'll try and make the most out of what I do.

I don't suppose anyone else has tried uploading updates to the map on the DFMA?  Last times I tried I couldn't even export an image properly, and it would be very nice if we could see the advancements, at least on a turn-by-turn basis.

EDIT:  Alright, which yahoo decided it would be an awesome idea to muck with the raws and change all the stone tiles?  I could barely find my own feet...   And the shrubs are acting up too, but I'm not sure why that is.

And has anyone else really looked at this new forgotten beast?  First cave cows, then goblin fetishists, now we're being attacked by a huge naked black dude with intestinal problems.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »

And has anyone else really looked at this new forgotten beast?  First cave cows, then goblin fetishists, now we're being attacked by a huge naked black dude with intestinal problems.

I'm tempted to sig. May I?

Also, still waiting for a turn to jump into and destroy a few universes remotely.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 12, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »

EDIT:  Alright, which yahoo decided it would be an awesome idea to muck with the raws and change all the stone tiles?  I could barely find my own feet...   And the shrubs are acting up too, but I'm not sure why that is.
Um that might have been me. I replaced the raws with Ironhand raws to make them compatible.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2010, 10:23:20 pm »

Um that might have been me. I replaced the raws with Ironhand raws to make them compatible.

Figured as much.  However, in non-Ironhand mode, this results in all the minerals looking like this.  However, I have no idea why the shrubs are acting up...

I'm tempted to sig. May I?

Be my guest.  And, also, since this is technically my turn, the turn roster is now fully open to requests.  Pick the slot you want, and it's first come first served.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 38