Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65452 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #375 on: July 13, 2010, 02:51:43 am »

See, Cheddarius?  This is what happens when you mess with the fabric of reality!

Slot #3 for me, please.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 13, 2010, 03:55:42 pm »

Alright, I've fixed the shrub/stone issue by replacing the raws.  Hopefully things will work out just fine from now on...  I'll see about getting an update posted later on.

And I will personally make an attempt to label every damn one of these levers in here...  Nothing quite like the suspicion that there's a Doomsday lever just sitting in your midst.

I haven't actually done anything yet, just surveying and trying to get my bearings.  I notice that we've got a great deal of metal items sitting right outside the gate that are just begging to get melted down, but I'm not too sure about how stable the current labor arena is here.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to quickly clear out the tree farm just yet (I only recently managed to find the thing), but I was thinking either temporary mason shops or some catapults.  Get the masons to churn out stone blocks, haul the blocks away in bins (who knows, we may even find a use for them some day).

I just had an idea for something that could be a bit fun, but I'm not sure if I can find a good space for it...  I may have to concern myself with other matters for the time being.  Like, y'know, infrastructure.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 13, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »

I shall bravely take the second spot. Lets see what I can do with these dwarves...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »

Oh drat. I kinda wanted that.
Oh well, I'll take fourth spot.

toescs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 13, 2010, 07:04:33 pm »

Hi, first time posting/ learned about this game very recently
1- May I (badly) govern this world for a turn?
2 - How much more confused would I be in going from the current version to this version?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 13, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »

Hi, first time posting/ learned about this game very recently
1- May I (badly) govern this world for a turn?
2 - How much more confused would I be in going from the current version to this version?

Welcome to the forum!  And, indeed, to Dwarf Fortress as a whole.  Of course we'll take you on for a spin in this madhouse, your lack of skill will be highly appreciated.  After all, it's no fun if we get everything right.

As for the version, I'm currently using .31.10, the latest release.  I'm not entirely sure what you're using, but all depending it could either be an unnoticeable difference or a mind-blowing change.  But yeah, we've been upgrading the fort as we move along.  So far there hasn't been a save compatibility break since the first .31 release.

Oh drat. I kinda wanted that.
Oh well, I'll take fourth spot.

Sorry mate, you'll just have to wait a couple turns to see the wreckage from my turn.  And indeed, with two players in between, you will never be certain of what exactly it was I screwed up, or what is simply the work of another.

Yeees...  My plan is coming to fruition!  None shall know of my ineptitude!  Muahahahaha!

Alright, in all seriousness, I should probably get buzzing.  Got lots to do.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2010, 01:56:44 am »

-~^~-

"So...  You say you want a revolution?"

The dwarf, a military recruit by the name of Pulleyblunted, sat by the hospital bed of what one could only assume was another dwarf, a tangled mass of limbs, jutting bone fragments, and blood-matted beard.

"Yes!  This fortress has become a slaver's warehouse, forcing the common dwarf to toil away his life on menial tasks, and where the so-called army is a meatgrinder of fresh conscripts who are forced to throw their lives away for the comfort of the ruling class!"

The eyes of the bed-ridden dwarf burned with a feverish glow as he said this, glaring out from beneath the trousers he had tied around his own head after having been neglected by the medical staff.

"Well, you know..."  Pulleyblunted shifted uncomfortably in his seat.  "We all want to change the world."

The eyes burned brighter, and the dwarf attempted to puff his chest out in indignation.  Unfortunately, his torso was little more than a theoretical region, separated from his abdomen and left foot by only the most vivid imagination.  After a few painful attempts, the dwarf lay back down and took a settling breath.

"The time has come for us to rise up against the tyrannical leeches who feed off of the sweat and blood of our brothers!  We must gather together arms and other enlightened individuals in order to combat the menace!"

Coughing, the dwarf pushed back a bone fragment that had popped out of his arm from the exertion of speech-giving.

"I have selflessly volunteered to lead this, our glorious revolution, and I have accepted my application.  In honor of my new position, I shall no longer be known by the name the chisel-pushers of the bureaucratic slime labeled me with.  No, I am Litast Windspells no longer!  I am..."

Litast took a deep breath, causing one of his toes to flutter.

"El Burro Sombrero!"

Pulleyblunted looked at him worriedly.  First there was that incident with the coat jacket, then the belching, and now this.  He'd heard about changes in behavior after what the doctor called a 'severe concrushing', but he'd only imagined things like suddenly developing an interest in cats, or possibly a strong desire to paint priceless gems in different colors.  Never anything like this.

Pulleyblunted sighed.  The doctors said this would be temporary, and that it was best not to upset him in his current state.  Whatever weird ideas he pulled out of his hat- er, his trousers, Pulleyblunted would just have to go along with it.  And, really, what could an old half-mad codger with his body twisted into knot get up to?

"Ah!"  El Burro Sombrero said, adjusting his position to look more businesslike.  "I can tell that you truly believe in my message!  That is good, you will make a fine revolutionary.  Now, get me the mayor.  I must make my demands..."

_______
-~v~-

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 15, 2010, 04:24:43 am »

1.  Welcome to the game and to the forums, toescs!  Pull up a chair.
2.  Awesome, Kagus, looking forward to more.
3.  May death come swiftly to the traitor Windspells.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:15 am »

Count me in for slot 6.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 15, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »

Hey, is that a Beatles reference?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »

Hey, is that a Beatles reference?

Bang on mate.

Also, damn, this place is a maze...  I keep getting lost.  Not nearly as bad as Roarirons, but still...

Anyways, I've been trying to figure out how to set up a lava dump to incinerate some of the junk we've got lying around here.  Lucky me, I found a one-tile channel above a lava pool already opened up.  However, it won't handle traffic very well, and it's somewhat out of the way.  A slightly more permanent method should eventually be set up.

Cheddarius, I've been going over your list of plans, and I've got a few questions.

First of all, I can't say I particularly agree with completely decking out all the bedrooms.  As a matter of personal taste I only use engravings sparingly, but beyond that these rooms are skyrocketing in value.  If/when the economy hits, a lot of people are going to get booted out.  I suppose I could try setting up a flophouse for that eventuality, but unless there's some compelling reason to spiff everything up then I'm probably not going to further that endeavour.

Second, the tree farm on -8 already seems fine to me.  It's a little small, but it's already got mud in it and there are a few trees growing.  However, there's a great big area on -3 that's packed with stone bits and is hooked up to a water chute.  Unless I'm deeply mistaken, it looks a heck of a lot like a tree farm.  Oh, and there are a couple giant mushrooms clogging the drain for the -8 farm.

We've got a stockpile that's stuffed to the brim with hooves, tufts of hair, teeth, cartilage, and other assorted "bits" that aren't going to rot away.  I'm not sure if there's much of any use for most of the stuff in there, but I set up a couple repeating tasks in the craftsdwarf's workshop nearby so that we'll at least attempt to make use of the horns and teeth.  Should prove interesting.

I took a couple unskilled architects/metalworkers and reassigned them to nursing duty in the hospital.  That makes about three hospital workers in total, Cheddarius included.  I'm also going to see if I can change some of the many, many stones we have into coffins as well.  You never know when you might need one.  Or twelve...

I'm probably going to end up melting all the stone except for marble and gabbro.  Marble because we can use it for making steel, and gabbro because...  Well, because gabbro doesn't melt.

We've got a decent stock of chairs and tables, most of the important areas have doors, and we don't really have that much use for blocks (this doesn't strike me as a particularly megaproject-style fort, unless you consider the act of cleaning this place up a megaproject...).  The few stone things we do need (floodgates, statues, coffins, blocks for workshops) can all be taken care of by the vast amounts of gabbro that pop up from digging projects done in the magma zone.  And we should really start clearing some more space out down there, it's quite useful.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the random items that mysteriously appear in our traps accompanied by a fountain of blood and vomit.  On the one hand, it's always good fun to melt metal down into something usable.  On the other hand, that's a hell of a lot of clothes.  Luckily, most of them actually fit the dwarves.  I think I'll claim the current batch so we've all got some spare clothes to change into when the old ones rot off, not to mention all the metal tidbits that come along for the ride.  We've got enough metal to consider making barrels out of metal and saving wood for other uses, like...  Uh...  Something.

Oh, yeah, and I'm currently getting 14 frames per second.  But that's only when the game is running, when it's paused it goes all the way up to 100.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 15, 2010, 04:12:31 pm »

First of all, I can't say I particularly agree with completely decking out all the bedrooms.  As a matter of personal taste I only use engravings sparingly, but beyond that these rooms are skyrocketing in value.  If/when the economy hits, a lot of people are going to get booted out.  I suppose I could try setting up a flophouse for that eventuality, but unless there's some compelling reason to spiff everything up then I'm probably not going to further that endeavour.
It's to keep the dwarves happy. About the economy, I've never actually played with the economy... how is it in this version? The economy would screw things up a lot, yeah... my previous strategy was just to spam tons of awesome engravings so that everyone was happy. I don't know if this actually helps that much, but it seemed to.
So are we playing with the economy? It's pretty broken if it's going to kick people out. I mean, in an actual economy, this wouldn't be a problem at all - if everyone gets richer, well, everyone gets richer. The problem seems to be that there's some ethereal god-being demanding rent, or something.
The Magmawiki says that you can turn rent off, and assign a dwarf to a bedroom. So I guess we could do that? Would that work?

Second, the tree farm on -8 already seems fine to me.  It's a little small, but it's already got mud in it and there are a few trees growing.  However, there's a great big area on -3 that's packed with stone bits and is hooked up to a water chute.  Unless I'm deeply mistaken, it looks a heck of a lot like a tree farm.  Oh, and there are a couple giant mushrooms clogging the drain for the -8 farm.
I'm planning on making siege and things, so I want a larger tree farm; I mean, I'm getting only a few trees from the level -8 farm. Also I'm planning to use that place for farming. I want a really big one, so that we can get a really good tree intake.
That bit on level -3 is the new tree farm. It's just not flooded yet. That's what I was asking you to do, to hook up those levers and flood it so that trees can grow.

We've got a stockpile that's stuffed to the brim with hooves, tufts of hair, teeth, cartilage, and other assorted "bits" that aren't going to rot away.  I'm not sure if there's much of any use for most of the stuff in there, but I set up a couple repeating tasks in the craftsdwarf's workshop nearby so that we'll at least attempt to make use of the horns and teeth.  Should prove interesting.
Hrm. I'm not sure what those do, I'll look at the wiki... "Hair does not rot and has no known use"... Hoof/horn can be made into horn crafts or used to decorate with the bone-carving labor... teeth are treated as "ivory", and can be used to decorate... cartilage has no use. So bony stuff is good for crafting, but you can dump the rest.

I took a couple unskilled architects/metalworkers and reassigned them to nursing duty in the hospital.  That makes about three hospital workers in total, Cheddarius included.  I'm also going to see if I can change some of the many, many stones we have into coffins as well.  You never know when you might need one.  Or twelve...
I was going to say that explicit nursing duty is not important, from my time in Skyscrapes when regular haulers who also had nursing duties did fine... but that's probably not true here, where we have all our haulers constantly occupied.

I'm probably going to end up melting all the stone except for marble and gabbro.  Marble because we can use it for making steel, and gabbro because...  Well, because gabbro doesn't melt.
Perhaps you can smash the gabbro under a bridge.

The few stone things we do need (floodgates, statues, coffins, blocks for workshops) can all be taken care of by the vast amounts of gabbro that pop up from digging projects done in the magma zone.  And we should really start clearing some more space out down there, it's quite useful.
What more space do we need, though? I put everything into levels - all the levels should have more than enough space for what workshops and such we need.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with the random items that mysteriously appear in our traps accompanied by a fountain of blood and vomit.  On the one hand, it's always good fun to melt metal down into something usable.  On the other hand, that's a hell of a lot of clothes.  Luckily, most of them actually fit the dwarves.  I think I'll claim the current batch so we've all got some spare clothes to change into when the old ones rot off, not to mention all the metal tidbits that come along for the ride.  We've got enough metal to consider making barrels out of metal and saving wood for other uses, like...  Uh...  Something.
Blasphemy! A true dwarf goes about wearing nothing but his beard and a smile.
But seriously, clothes are great as a trade good, and dwarves don't actually need them. Do we have enough trade goods? I think... I don't remember, but we might have tons and tons of stonecrafts, in which case go ahead and give the clothes to the dwarves.
Metal barrels sounds like a good idea, though in truth I would prefer to hoard metal... in most of my forts I never make anything metal and yet I save it jealously... sigh. Maybe start up a weapons industry, making weapons for traps and the military, and bolts... try making barrels out of useless metals like nickel when possible, instead of bronze or whatnot.

Oh, yeah, and I'm currently getting 14 frames per second.  But that's only when the game is running, when it's paused it goes all the way up to 100.
OPERATION PUT THE LAUGHTER IN SLAUGHTER will fix this. I think I rigged a Pet Rehabilitation Center somewhere. If you have someone with pets (especially cats), assign him one of the crazy-awesome rooms, then disable all his labors and send him to pull the lever. When his pets follow, lock the doors, and have him impale them. For other beasts, just butcher them; for dogs, train them into war dogs.

Oh, by the way, I gave a guide of the different floors and stuff a while back, if that helps with confusion.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 16, 2010, 06:26:38 pm »

See, we don't really need the extra happiness boost.  Everyone here is already going through Dining Room Syndrome, so they're all ecstatic.  And so far as I know, the economy hasn't been changed enough to account for average living conditions.  That means that everyone will need to pay the exact value of their rooms, even though most of them won't be even close to capable of affording them.  And I'd rather not turn off the economy for the sake of this fort...  After all, who'd want to make things easier?

Yeah, the -8 tree farm definitely isn't that big.  What I meant by "fine" was that it's currently functioning.  In your last post about the to-do list, you mentioned the -8 farm rather than the -3 one.  I'll see what I can do about properly flooding -3.

The horns and teeth and whatnot will be made into crafts shortly.  Unfortunately there's no way to distinguish between the useless bits and the useful bits in a stockpile, so all dumping will have to be manual.  I'll find some way to manage.

As for nursing duty, I just wanted to have a larger medical staff than one administrator.  And I figured that having a small number of highly trained surgeons would probably be better than a bunch of rookie sawbones.  The nursing duties are all the things that can afford to be done with low skill, like cleaning, feeding and suturing.  Optimally, we'd have far more people working in the hospital, but we'll have to work with this.

And as for the gabbro, it's not so much that I can't get rid of it, so much that I can safely and easily get rid of everything else.  Gabbro will be used for all the standard stone supplies.

With the magma pipe, I didn't mean so much that we needed extra space in general.  We're fine on that front (well, a few things are crowded, but that's okay).  What I meant was getting a better view of the magma sea, and having more space around it to move around and set up whatever workshops or supply stations we might need.

And yes, we do need clothes.  In the old version, you could just run a nudist camp for a one-time minor bad thought.  In the new version, however, dwarves will get several bad thoughts whenever they do stuff without clothes on.  I'm sorry to say it, but clothes are "in". 

Our metal supplies are fine.  Have you seen this place?  We could pave over the grass with bronze and have some left over for goblets.  We've got so much copper, tin, silver and other bits that we can fully consider making standard items out of metal.  And should we need anything more, the traps will magically spawn more stuff from thin air (and some blood).

As for killing off pets, I'm going to say that we need the dogs a heck of a lot more than we need the dozen or so stallions that are just loitering about.  Dogs can be put to use in making huge packs of vicious war animals that can patrol the underworld.  I've taken the dogs off of the slaughter list, I'll kill them off by having them attack other threats.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 16, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »

An ambush!  Curse them!

Alright, so we're getting attacked by goblins.  Again.  I have no idea how to work around the military system these days, so I don't know if we're forming up to repel them or not.  Probably not.

So far, we've lost a fisherdwarf who just had to sink his rod into the pond on the wrong side of the wall.  He was flogged to death by a goblin lasher.  Oh, yeah, did I mention the fisher used to be a spearman, and was about twice as skilled in all combat areas than the guys we've currently got in the military?  That was nice.

The leader of the ambush is a dwarf by the name of Atu Crueladmired.  Presumably, he really admired the cruelty of his goblin captors, and so decided to pull a Stockholm on us.  Bastard.

My first course of action after this assault will be to remove all the stonefall traps we've got "protecting" our front gate.  I just saw a goblin walk through ten of the things and he's still standing.  One friggin' goblin.

And while I'm certain it seemed like a good idea to place the drawbridge lever a couple tiles away from the drawbridge itself, it now means that it is completely out of reach for any of our dwarves.  I'm going to need to do some serious defensive reconfigurations now...

I think I may possibly have figured out how to get our soldiers to go do something, but...  Well, the captain's sleeping.

An ambush of goblin lashers, the military is "busy", and there are six civvies backed up against the wall to the right, with no way to get to safety.  This will end in tears.

Rips and tears.

EDIT:  Scratch that, they remembered a previous engagement and ran away.  We killed two of theirs though.  One got hit by a lucky stonefall, the other was mobbed by eight war dogs.  WE HAVE PREVAILED!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 16, 2010, 07:34:07 pm »

Spoiler: Huge reply (click to show/hide)

About the ambush: Excellent!
If you have spare dwarfpower, you could rig a new lever to work the outer bridge and destroy the previous one.
How's clearing out the level -8 farm going? We don't have any farms, as far as I know, so we should put one there as soon as possible - we don't want to starve. What about the other stone-clearing projects?
Has the butcher culled the horde of animals satisfactorily? How many do we have at the moment? We may even have to resort to killing dogs, if we end up with 50 or more.
Are our brewers doing well?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:39:01 pm by Cheddarius »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38