Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38

Author Topic: Cavebrands  (Read 65440 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Re: Cavebrands
« Reply #390 on: July 16, 2010, 07:58:17 pm »

Glad to see things are moving along again. One good way to prevent the dog population from exploding it to only remove the breeding females. I frequently do this in my forts, with cats too. I just make sure there are no female animals if I don't want them to breed. Or as soon as new females are born I cull the currently breeding ones.

Sure, technically this may lead to animal inbreeding of magnificent proportions, but hey, that's how we got doberman pinchers right? It's not like the animals care if they've bred with 7 successive generations of female offspring.

On the topic of stone... I say dump/melt it all. Except perhaps a few of the pretty versions. We have plenty of metal for making metal anything and there is a vast amount more to be obtained.

As for the rooms, well, just turn off rent in the init file. It won't affect the economy from turning on and functioning normally, except perhaps slightly more excessive accumulation of trinkets for the dwarves.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 16, 2010, 08:28:01 pm »

Well, as I soon found out, six lashers does not an ambush make.  They were just party #1.

Party #2 soon made its presence known after it had climbed up onto the ridge overlooking our outdoors area and started firing down on all the civilians who were working there.

Because of where they've decided to stand, any military action would have to walk out underneath their killzone, wander around the full length of the wall, and then walk back up into their killzone again when scaling the mountain.  As such, I figure it's probably best to just wait for them to run out of arrows and go home.

We've really got to rethink our defenses.

In any case, I don't see the point of having nurses or surgeons or anything until we have injuries.
I think we just fixed that.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 16, 2010, 08:48:49 pm »

Well, as I soon found out, six lashers does not an ambush make.  They were just party #1.

Party #2 soon made its presence known after it had climbed up onto the ridge overlooking our outdoors area and started firing down on all the civilians who were working there.

Because of where they've decided to stand, any military action would have to walk out underneath their killzone, wander around the full length of the wall, and then walk back up into their killzone again when scaling the mountain.  As such, I figure it's probably best to just wait for them to run out of arrows and go home.

We've really got to rethink our defenses.
Friiiiig
Okay, there are no caravans in the new version, right?
So we can have a constant airlock. From now on, we can keep the outer bridge always raised, until the traders come. Then we lower it, and the guards kill any ambushes.
Cage traps are also a good idea. Lots and lots of cage traps.

I think we just fixed that.
:(

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 16, 2010, 09:28:51 pm »

This.  Get us some new toys to play with.

I noticed that lever by the front gate some time ago and thought it was a funny place for it.  Who put it there, anyway?   :)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 18, 2010, 01:19:59 pm »

This.  Get us some new toys to play with.

I noticed that lever by the front gate some time ago and thought it was a funny place for it.  Who put it there, anyway?   :)

I thought you deconstructed it ages ago, if that's the exact lever we're talking about.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 18, 2010, 01:32:36 pm »

This lever:

It's definitely connected to something, and so is the drawbridge.  They both have mechanisms installed.  As you can see, just about any incursion will result in that lever going "off-limits".  I'm installing a long wall to the south, up to some bridge down there.  This will give us a little more time to pull the current lever, but will also give a better firing range for the ballistae.

Just for kicks, here's a picture of the archers:

They're firing 8 z-levels down into the outdoors pen.  They've already torn up a hauler's arm, shattered the spine of a puppy, and torn some ligament in another puppy.  As per usual, they're being led by a traitor dwarf.

Y'know, you have to wonder...  Are these dwarves vigilantes?  Are they summoning up whatever forces they can muster in order to keep this deathtrap from swallowing any more innocent lives, siding with the goblins for the sake of a greater good?

Or are they just dicks?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 18, 2010, 01:44:30 pm »

By the way - right now, I'm imagining Cavebrands like an evil, evil eyesore on the world map. Just look at it. We managed to get killed by everything the game could find, our own dwarves want to destroy us, and it's not like our ancestors are bunkered down in only one place are they? I'm longing for the moment until we get killed by a bunch of crundles before declaring this fort as deadly as Boatmurdered.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 18, 2010, 01:56:28 pm »

Don't worry, I'll be sure to make this fort as boring and safe as possible, hand it off, and watch eagerly as the next overseer tears down all of my carefully laid plans and precautions.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 18, 2010, 06:24:12 pm »

Kagus, I think that lever opens the Draltha cages. 
Sure I wish I'd finished that wall now.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2010, 06:31:41 pm »

That lever opens the bridge. I tested it. The draltha-cage lever is in the bedrooms.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 18, 2010, 09:19:46 pm »

That makes perfect sense.  Also, thanks for testing that out, Cheddarius...  That would've been a rather sticky situation if I'd just stumbled across it by accident. 

Yeah...  "Accident"...

Well, returning where we left off, we've still got a bunch of goblin crossbowmen sitting up on the mountain and shooting at our workers and pets with impunity.  I actually managed to mobilize the military (I'm so proud of myself)...  However, all I really managed to do was tell them to defend a burrow I've designated as being "the front gate".  Since that location does not have anything to do with the mountain, I knew it wasn't going to be of much help.

After a bit of fiddling around, I finally managed to find the direct kill order.  I selected the squad that had finally emerged into the light and was shuffling over to the gate, and ordered them to assassinate the traitorous dwarf.

At this, two swordsdwarves ran inside, a third disappeared into thin air, and the squad leader is running in circles on top of our craft bins.  Nobody else has yet to emerge from the fortress.

The goblins were unfazed by the assault, and are still attempting to shoot the hauler they knocked unconscious earlier.  They're having about as much success as we are.

Actually, scratch that.  They've just incapacitated five more dwarves in the killzone.  One of them had his spine shattered by a bolt.  Our fearless leader is still negotiating with the wall in an attempt to...  Well, I'd say he's trying to convince it to let him walk through, but I'm fairly certain he'd just go back to hopping around on mugs again.

Over to the left, you'll see the squad leader doing his little trade good dance, while civilians from all walks of life get brutally maimed just a few paces away.  Inside, we see a number of military dwarves who have decided to remain perfectly still in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, their zen emanations will make the goblins explode.  Meanwhile, the mayor has a good chat with the outpost liaison.  Why she decided to pick a location that overlooks a field of carnage, I don't know.  She could probably use an office.

Well, I daresay our new nurses will be getting plenty of work!  As will you Cheddarius, oh chief surgeon.

Speaking of medicine, did I mention that some idiot dwarf has been filling the hospital's suture quota with adamantine strands?  Yeah, I'm pretty sure we could find a better use for that, thank you very much...

Actually, the weird thing is, I don't think we really have any other thread.  We at least don't have the capability to produce more non-precious thread, since we don't have a single pig tail in the whole dang fort.  I'll try to get that under control, but we're really short on laborers and really tall on labor.

I think I'll also put in another order for coffins.  Can never have too many of them around here.  I think I'll invest in some mass graves...

EDIT:  The squad leader was shot in the head and the gut.  At this, he decided that our amulets could be trampled some other time, and that he should really get to bed.  He has left his squad to continue the zen assault on their own while he takes a nap.

EDIT2:  This place, I tell ya...   Alright, so I finally managed to kick the soldiers out of their attempt to defeat the goblins by thinking really really hard about them, and now they're actually moving to do something else really really hard to them (actually, I just had to switch out a kill order for a move order.  Now they're moving up the mountain just fine).  And hey, I thought we'd even managed to see ourselves through the worst of it.  After all, the crossbowgoblins had all run out of ammo.

Well, no sooner had the last iron bolt flown then another message came in. "An ambush!  Curse them!", the message read, and my heart, it filled with dread!  Look, more goblins sire!  All with bows prepared to fire!  so the wounded below, they weeped and moaned, 'cause now the dwarves were pretty much boned.

Yup, that's right.  We just got a squad of stealthy bowgoblins who appeared on top of the crossbowgoblins, and who are now filling everyone with more iron.  Also, they're being lead by a macedwarf, which means there's someone up there who can actually hold themselves in a melee fight...  I hope our guys are cut out for this.

funnily enough, even though we just had a full squad of crossbows unload their quivers on us, there hasn't been a single fatality yet.  Just a bunch of people vomiting on all our clothes and trade goods.  There are a few dwarves who are taking this whole vomit thing quite seriously, puking up a pile and then moving on to the next square to continue the carpeting.  Pretty soon the whole outdoors area will be a lovely green.

Oh, yeah, and Cheddarius?  You are proving your incredible worth by dumping buckets of water on the wounded.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 18, 2010, 09:51:09 pm »

This is a great fortress. The chaos is just too funny.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:28:54 pm by Argonnek »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 18, 2010, 10:10:42 pm »

The goblins ran off (at least the parties we were aware of) after the leader I had marked for killing came charging through the gates and ran head first into our military.  After a bit of a scuffle, we killed him and took out a couple other undesirables.  Right now we're just trying to get a handle on the wounded, which is difficult seeing as both nurses decided to take their lunch hour.

Oh yeah...  A female trapper came in with some minor injury on her lower body.  Cheddarius promptly decided to diagnose the patient.

...by climbing on top of her.  While she was sleeping.

Oh, and our resident chef just made a number of masterpiece roasts.  Mostly just tallow with some lung in it, but one of them had valley herbs.

I'd just like to point out with no unneeded outburst that valley herbs are not to be cooked.  They are incredibly rare and difficult to get hold of, and they can be processed at the farmer's workshop to create something called 'Golden Salve', which is in fact worth far more than its weight in gold.

Roasted valley herbs in a dog grease sauce?  Not so much.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 18, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »

Oh yeah...  A female trapper came in with some minor injury on her lower body.  Cheddarius promptly decided to diagnose the patient.

...by climbing on top of her.  While she was sleeping.
Awwww yeah. I'll injure her lower body, all right.

Closing up that bridge might be a good idea. It's not like there are wagons that will turn away if you don't keep them open 24/7 - there are only normal traders, and you can always open the bridge when they show up.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2010, 10:26:50 pm »

I'd just like to point out with no unneeded outburst that valley herbs are not to be cooked.  They are incredibly rare and difficult to get hold of, and they can be processed at the farmer's workshop to create something called 'Golden Salve', which is in fact worth far more than its weight in gold.
:o! Sorry!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38