Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Items don't rot  (Read 5326 times)

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Items don't rot
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 04:40:52 am »

Could always dig a deep trash pit and periodically tell your dwarves to dump everything from the refuse stockpile into the trash pit.  Even better if the bottom of the pit is filled with lava.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 05:11:07 am »

Hi!

Yes, the non-rotting vermins are a result of the tissue specific rotting. It has been said that it is because the vermin consist mostly of chitin or bone and the remains use the material that makes up most of the creature. And chitin and bone don't rot - so you have unrotting remains. It is not an ideal solution, so I am sure that once a good replacement is found, it will get "fixed".

However, my recommendation is to have two stockpiles, one for the non-rotting remains, and one for the usable things and to dump the non-rotters regularly so you can keep your fortress clean.

But, note that the non-rotting items will not cause miasma either as that is caused by the rotting which does not take place. So, if you don't mind the junk, you could theoretically leave the remains just where they are and don't collect them at all.

Deathworks

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 11:27:56 am »

Could always dig a deep trash pit and periodically tell your dwarves to dump everything from the refuse stockpile into the trash pit.  Even better if the bottom of the pit is filled with lava.

Unless it's changed, magma doesn't remove destroyed items from memory/whatever, while atom smashing/etc. does.

Which could eventually become an issue for people on slower machines, AFAIK. Especially if you like cats.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 12:47:22 pm »

Atomsmashing does that?
Now, I never liked that for its unreality (Is that even a word?),
but this changes everything.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 12:59:26 am »

here is a brief summary of how this works now to the best of my own understanding.

most vermin do not rot, they do not produce miasma, and they are never removed at cleanup. rats are one exception to this, in that they rot normally, produce miasma, and are removed at cleanup. I can personally verify much of this from my own truly epic sized refuse pile which I collected over a period of over 10 years. It's pretty safe to say that this is a bug.

On the feature side, we have remains from dwarves and larger animals (and rats). These all rot and produce miasma as expected. When fully rotted they reduce into a skeleton or partial skeleton which is a change from 40d. It is thought that partial skeletons may be the result of mutilated corpses. Bones are apparently harvested from remains when they are taken to a butcher shop.
Pages: 1 [2]