Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some sort of free-building thing?  (Read 2459 times)

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some sort of free-building thing?
« on: June 29, 2010, 11:10:23 pm »

Hey, first off, sorry if this is a stupid post, or if I put this in the wrong area - I truly am really sorry about that.  :-\ I was wondering if there was some sort of "free-building" thing I could download or that's in game. Not Arena Mode, but something where I can control dwarves much like Dwarf Fortress mode, but with something where I could "spawn" items, resources, creatures, etcetera, since maybe - as an example - I want to try out a new trap, but I lack the materials - or lack anything regarded to the "project", for that matter - to be able to build said trap.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Some sort of free-building thing?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:22 am »

I believe that there is a hidden debug/god mode for development purposes. Many games have them, while having considerably less to test than DF. Without such mode, the devteam would have to sit on their computers for ages in order to get one shot at some event that might be bugged. On the other hand, I'm not at all sure whether the developers are going to share the secret of the debug mode with us.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:16:05 am »

You might want to check the modding board there are ways of making free resource mods if you know how.

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »

Hmm. I searched for a few things, namely "free resource mod", and many things similar, but nothing turned up that related to actually making something like that.

Havlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:53 pm »

For at least some of what you want you could try out the stuff on the DFWiki Cheating page. (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cheating) That'll get you free resources and items, and with ultra-speed-no-needs dorfs you'll be able to grind up their skills pretty quick for testing purposes. Though for the "spawning creatures" thing, the closest you could get would be to mod the critter you want to show up commonly in every biome. You'll want to check the modding forum for that. Good luck!

Failular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 05:08:09 pm »

Oh, ok, thanks for that link! I might just try editing Arena Mode into DF mode, if at all possible, even though I might mess things up a bit... Oh, well. Thanks again, though.  :D