Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [0.31.01]Elf caravan carrying an obscene amount of cargo  (Read 17468 times)

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01]Elf caravan carrying an obscene amount of cargo
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:28 am »

Most recently, the elves brought, among many other things, MORE THAN A FULL UNIT LIST PAGE of caged creatures (three of them were tigermen, which is a bug in itself).  They were using a horse and a warthog.  This doesn't count the vermin cages, obviously.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 02:37:46 am »

Hi!

Just a quick comment: Roads do not help you with wagons. At least for me, making roads to the map edge did nothing. Still only pack animals.

Has anyone checked preexisting roads yet?

On a lighter note:
Random51: Trading with the elves has always been worthwhile in 40d for me. When I got lucky, I got an elven diplomat, allowing me to order wood and things as I liked. And even without the diplomat, they already brought me exotic animals like giant eagles and bears, the latter being a great addition to my non-existent militia in 40d. So, the elves were one of my important trade partners.

And actually, the amount of goods is not the real problem (well, as it increases over the years, it does become a problem in itself), but rather that all that stuff is supposedly carried by two or three pack animals. So, you could still have meaningful large elven caravans after the fix if they decided to bring enough pack animals with them.

Deathworks

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 08:07:11 am »

Just a quick comment: Roads do not help you with wagons. At least for me, making roads to the map edge did nothing. Still only pack animals.

Has anyone checked preexisting roads yet?

Just tried this. I built a paved road from the preexisting road to my depot. I still got dwarf, human, and elf pack animals. I think it is just not possible.

In a way it makes sense. Pack animals can make it down into the underground through the crazy twisting tunnels. Wagons can not.

Still, I would like to see wagons on roads. I had a hard time on that fort because of the aquifer. If I could have requested stone from a wagon caravan it would have been easier.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 11:16:19 pm »

Yeah, my elves showed up the other day and it took me over a minute to scroll through their inventory. Grizzly bears and Giant Eagles are apparently smaller than you'd imagine.

I really would rather not trade with someone who's got an actual wagon of stuff, kthanks. If the ratio is similar it would take them a year or more to unload, and just scrolling through their inventory would take over 5 minutes.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 11:23:34 pm »

Obviously they are breeding their pack animals to have the maximum strength.
YOU TOO can have donkeys that can carry over 900,000,000 oz!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:16 pm »

Still, I would like to see wagons on roads. I had a hard time on that fort because of the aquifer. If I could have requested stone from a wagon caravan it would have been easier.
You still get diplomats don't you? You should still be able to request stone.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 12:59:18 am »

Hi!

I really would rather not trade with someone who's got an actual wagon of stuff, kthanks. If the ratio is similar it would take them a year or more to unload, and just scrolling through their inventory would take over 5 minutes.

Actually, that is the bug: The ratio is completely ridiculous at the moment. The pack animals should carry only a small fraction of what they are carrying right now, and even one wagon should not carry as much as one pack animal current can carry.

So, if the ratio gets fixed, you will want wagons to get a reasonable trade volume, especially for metal and stone using races (also for the circus supplies the elves bring around).

Deathworks

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 02:14:21 am »

You still get diplomats don't you? You should still be able to request stone.

I did. They brought 10 stones, some armor and weapons, and nothing else.

Stone is heavy.

I think what is happening is that the traders are carrying the cages based on how much the cage weighs, not how much the animal inside weighs.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »

And since the hipocritical elfs use wooden cages...low mass for everyone!!!
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 06:34:28 am »

Have the masses of wooden items significantly reduced this version?

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 07:16:44 am »

toady has overhauled the system of weight, they are now in kilograms if i recall correctly. a lot of objects are <1kg: crafts, cloth clothing -even bronze shields. this would explain why so much stuff is being traded in this version.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 08:49:33 pm »

Picture very related.

SwiftSpear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 06:53:36 am »

Picture very related.

Nah, there were 4 elephants.
laceholder Signature

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 05:39:50 am »

Recently the first elven caravan has unloaded their cargo on my depot. I didn't saw how much of cargo it was, because my trader was to lazy. Anyway, it didn't matter, because I planned to kill them all. Unfortunately, the could not pack their cargo to drive back home and just occupied my trade depot with all the cargo unloaded (a bug?). I had to deconstruct the depot to move them. When they moved on the bridge, somebody pulled a lever and they have fallen into oblivion. Then I saw the enormous amount of cargo - I can't keep up with enlarging the storehouses, it is really too much.

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 09:58:21 am »

My last Elven Caravan had only one Elephant, which saddens me. On the other hand they had Tigers, Jaguars, Warthogs, Gorillas, and a Leopard or something in that vein, and more importantly, they brought the forest which they had found the animals in!

It was like Christmas and Easter and your Birthday combined. The human Caravan that followed was like a desolate desert offering though. A few barrels and some trinkets. Those pesky Elves are devaluating a healthy relationship with foreigners. Well, at least healthy trade relationships as we knew them. Not that I'm complaining as such. I will be burning up wood for a Dwarven year. *cough cough*

P.S.

The illustration above is awesome.

---
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:39:26 am by Thundrim »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4