Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spontageous crashes (31.25)  (Read 2423 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spontageous crashes (31.25)
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:48:04 pm »

Not sure if this belongs in the bug report sections considering that it doesn't seem to be a bug with the game itself. When I'm on the dwarf section of the embark screen, and press "v" to check a dorfs profile, the game goes all "Dwarf Fortress.exe has stopped working" and shuts down. This happened twice already, despite the fact that I've had two forts in this version which worked fine on embark. Both of the crashes  occurred when trying to embark on the same spot so maybe its because I'm trying to settle on a tiny, isolated volcano island or something. I'll try a different spot later, but I like this one and wanna know what's going on. Any ideas?

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Spontageous crashes (31.25)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »

need computer specs...i recently did the same thing, and didnt crash

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:08:16 pm »

Okay, specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Phenom II P940 Quad (1.70GHz)
4GB RAM

I assume videocard is irrelevant since DF isn't exactly a graphics-heavy game.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:21:37 pm »

Save file and embark location in the save file, please?

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »

Shit, how do I upload that? I assume you wanna screenshot for embark location ?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:04:05 am »

To upload stuff, go to /data/saves/ inside the folder with the DF game, then look for the folders called region# (probably region1, but if you try to load your game, you'll see that it says what the folder's name is).  Then zip up a copy of that entire folder and upload it to DFFD (you'll have to make an account, put this save in the "bugged saves" section).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:21 am »

If you're using Truetype you should turn it off, it's possible there's a name in the dwarf's profile with a character that's crashing the game.

If you're not hitting e to embark it can't be an embark related crash. Those are usually actually lockups more than crashes but they will only occur after you hit e.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:19:57 pm »

If you're using Truetype you should turn it off, it's possible there's a name in the dwarf's profile with a character that's crashing the game.

If you're not hitting e to embark it can't be an embark related crash. Those are usually actually lockups more than crashes but they will only occur after you hit e.
I think I'll try this before I do any save uploading. How exactly do I turn it off, though? Google doesn't seem to offer much help.
Anyways, what are the chances that I just happen to get two dorfs in a row with unpronounceable names despite the fact that I've seen over a hundred working ones.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »

I think I'll try this before I do any save uploading. How exactly do I turn it off, though? Google doesn't seem to offer much help.
Anyways, what are the chances that I just happen to get two dorfs in a row with unpronounceable names despite the fact that I've seen over a hundred working ones.

Truetype is an init setting for Dwarf Fortress, not a setting on your PC/Mac.

As with all probabilities, even though chances are slim of finding one dwarf with an 'unpronounceable' name, it doesn't mean it's impossible to find two in a row.

I think what's more likely in your case is a god with an unpronounceable name - if the dwarf's name was unpronounceable you'd expect it to crash before you even had a chance to press v. It would also make it seem like the world is buggy, as you initially indicated, since gods are tied to specific dwarven cultures and there tends to be limited diversity in gods. (That is, each dwarven culture only worships maybe a dozen gods, and each embark location will start with you a specific culture, so if you're choosing the same culture there is a far better chance of getting a buggy god multiple times in a row then compared to across multiple worlds.)
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25:58 pm »

Windows 7 Home Premium

64-bit?  If so, try disabling COMPRESSED_SAVES in init.txt.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 07:25:03 pm »

Alright, now that I've got a chance, I think I'm gonna try re-embarking/regenning.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was able to embark successfully now. I don't know what was causing the crashes because truetype was off the whole time. Maybe its that compress save thingy...It will forever be a mystery.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:36:39 pm by MetalGear »