Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feeling so proud: struck my first cave  (Read 2020 times)

Waterbreath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Feeling so proud: struck my first cave
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:01:18 am »

Hiho!

Nothing too special, but yesterday I struck my first cave! I feel so proud of my dorfs! They survived quite OK so far :) Food is OK, water is in good supply, trading works well, living is OK, the military is well trained (in running inside, when enemies come) and now I only need metal to be really happy!

I have been playing a fortress now and then, but never this far! Thanks for this great game! Next stop: Magma. Never seen it so far!

Bye,
WB

PS: Yes, I picked my username after a floodgate-incident, that made my dorfs train this... sadly not fast enough :D

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling so proud: struck my first cave
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:50:30 am »

Real dwarves breathe magma.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:09:47 pm »

Real dwarves breathe magma.

Just not for very long.
"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »

Well, good luck for you then. And once you DO find magma, you'll have a lot of !!FUN!! ;)

Just be on the lookout for forgotten beasts.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »

I recently struck my first cavern as well. I actually panicked for several minutes, expecting a forgotten beast or two to burst forth and start violating my dwarves.

Haven't played in a few days, mostly because I'm on an eight year old computer and I have to close every other program and shut down a few non-essential (to dwarf fortress) processes to keep the fps above 0.

Good luck with your Magma!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:10:37 pm »

Don't worry.  I can assure you, breaking into the caverns will not send forgotten beasts after you directly.  You're probably safe for right now.

How do I know this?

Because they will only come when you are least expecting it...   ;D
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:49:42 pm »

Don't worry.  I can assure you, breaking into the caverns will not send forgotten beasts after you directly.  You're probably safe for right now.

How do I know this?

Because they will only come when you are least expecting it...   ;D

Haha! Good one Jeoshua...

...I'm scared...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »

Don't worry. I've never had a forgotten beast problem that couldn't be solved by throwing a few dozen worthless peasants at it. Half the time the forgotten beasts aren't really all that threatening. Oh, a gigantic winged bunny with an an exposed ribcage that sprays poison dust, or a gigantic skinless frog with poisonous blood and no eyes.

In the end, they're still vulnerable to the same things frogs and bunnies are vulnerable to. Just less so.

It's the Zombie Blue Whales and towering men composed of a certain metal alloy that you really have to worry about.
!!&!!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:12:11 pm »

...towering men composed of a certain metal alloy that you really have to worry about.

How about limestone? Any better solution than magma?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 06:26:16 am »

In the end, they're still vulnerable to the same things frogs and bunnies are vulnerable to. Just less so.

It's the Zombie Blue Whales and towering men composed of a certain metal alloy that you really have to worry about.
And the slimes.  Especially the flying slimes.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:04:02 am »

Yeah, a golem-type forgotten beast will end your fort without question if you aren't prepared properly. I know they used to be effectively immortal versus attacks, because their vital components could never be destroyed by any amount of damage and they remained threatening and mobile even if you cut off everything else. That bug may have been fixed, but on average, material-based forgotten beasts are far more vital and damaging than ones based off living things. If you don't have a well-suited and trained military you'll probably lose everyone to it.

The other alternative is, you build a device with a support linked up to a lever that will cause the ceiling to fall and crush the ground beneath it. You engineer it so the golem walks under it, and have someone (P)ull the lever. It will be killed without fail as long as you time it right and build the trap correctly :)

- This works with both natural rock and constructions
- Kills all types of FB--special care is needed to make a sealed system to protect against flying FB, who will simply fly around the trap, however.
- Forgotten beasts never set off pressure plates. In order to time this right, you need a dwarf locked in a room with the lever that triggers the trap (or put it in the meeting hall).

Another fun way is magma. FB love to destroy things you've built, so the easy way is to put a floodgate along the path they will attack your fortress and have magma behind it. They will unerringly destroy the floodgate and get melted.

Since they destroy things, one way to protect your fort from non-flying forgotten beasts is to make the only way into the fort require crossing a grate or bridge. They will attack the grate\bridge instead of crossing it, and then be unable to get inside.

Flying FB are not at all uncommon, though. So... Good luck!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.