Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Balthazar's Arena  (Read 11029 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Balthazar's Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 03:06:42 am »

It seems that we have 6 competitors:

Huggz, woose1, Criptfeind, Greiger, Rakonas, kilakan

To round it up, two "default embark" teams are going to enter too to up number of teams to 8.

Random (http://www.random.org/lists/ fyi) matchups for quater finals are:

1. kilakan
   2. default

3. Rakonas
   4. Greiger

5. woose1
   6. Criptfeind

7. Huggz
   8. default

--- Arena applications are now closed, competition is running! ---

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 03:14:07 am »

It seems that we have 6 competitors:

Huggz, woose1, Criptfeind, Greiger, Rakonas, kilakan

To round it up, two "default embark" teams are going to enter too to up number of teams to 8.

Random (http://www.random.org/lists/ fyi) matchups for quater finals are:

1. kilakan
   2. default

3. Rakonas
   4. Greiger

5. woose1
   6. Criptfeind

7. Huggz
   8. default

--- Arena applications are now closed, competition is running! ---

Yoiu going to do round two?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:54:52 am by Pkassad »
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 05:09:22 am »

Match report:

1. kilakan
vs
   2. default

as expected, poorly equipped and unskilled dwarves from default embark were no match for hail of bolts from kilakans team. who were able to dispatch them without any casualties.

Curiously enough, amongst all the damage, they also managed to cut off one ear as trophy and they beat last member of opposing army to death with their crossbows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAHxDKL6Wis

Yoiu going to do round two?

Definitelly!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:41 am »

Match report:

3. Rakonas
vs
   4. Greiger

Greigers swordmaster indeed did quite well. Heads were flying left and right and with ranged support and his five suicidal meatshields, he was only scratched.

Rakonas defeat was not complete thou and his bronze wielding dwarves easily slaughtered five members of oppostions, but only to see "bob" cut them to pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8U4fJSwMZw

(note to Rakonas: aparently, arena mode does not allow armor layering as your axedwarf with 2-points in axe did not wear leather armor as uder-layer)

(note to Greiger: naming creatures does not seems possible :-/)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 07:27:15 am »

Match report:

5. woose1
vs
   6. Criptfeind

Dogs vs cows it is! Well, it turns out that cows are, indeed, awesomer as they all survived till the end. In fact, after all dwarves from woose1s team got beaten to pale pulp, cows were all still alive.

I let it run without pausing for a while after match was decided and behold, cows actually managed to kill all the Criptfeinds dwarves and and all but 6 dogs. Said dogs however bled to death later on! Yeah, cows are awesome!

Cow ear goes to Criptfeind as a trophy, cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y_r8aKjq-s

(notes: embark points allowed 79 dogs and 8 cows.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 08:03:23 am »

Woo!  Go Bob!  Cut through that bronze like it isn't even there it seems. I expected something to that effect against copper, but the bronze kinda surprises me.

So am I correct in assuming I'm up against Kilakan's crossbows next?  I'm predicting the bolts won't be able to get through Bob's armor, but everyone else on my team gets slaughtered wholesale.  After that it all comes down to whether Bob gets over exerted or not.

What I was really worried about was the dog swarm.  But all is good now :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:05:49 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 09:22:40 am »

Last match of quaterfinals:

7. Huggz
vs
   8. default

This was not suprising at all. Dogs swarmed poor dwarves who thought they are going to embark on real fortress and hammers pounded on them so heavily and fast that they had no chance to regret anything.

Few dogs were decapitated, but that happens ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyT1Xq6gjEY

Woo!  Go Bob!  Cut through that bronze like it isn't even there it seems. I expected something to that effect against copper, but the bronze kinda surprises me.

So am I correct in assuming I'm up against Kilakan's crossbows next?  I'm predicting the bolts won't be able to get through Bob's armor, but everyone else on my team gets slaughtered wholesale.  After that it all comes down to whether Bob gets over exerted or not.

What I was really worried about was the dog swarm.  But all is good now :D

Indeed, you are going to fight kilakans crossbowmen next. If you win, you are guaranteed to meet some dogs in finals :) .  finals matching is:

1. kilakan
   4. Greiger

6. Criptfeind
   7. Huggz

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 09:29:52 am »

That was so full of epic it brought a tear to my eye. Same teams for next time.
I am sure you can name dwarves, you open up their description menu where it says X is tall and thin or whayever, and press y i think?
Anyways, was that a mix of monk singing and Stairway to Heaven? WIN.
Also can you make it more obvious which team is which? For mine it was clear enough but for the ones without animals it was tough...

EDIT: I guess the match is about whose dorfs die first and animals are irrelavant? Also, im up against a CRAPLOAD of dogs... Hopefully my dorf's copper armour will win out :-/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:51:35 am by Huggz »
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 10:18:46 am »

EDIT: I guess the match is about whose dorfs die first and animals are irrelavant? Also, im up against a CRAPLOAD of dogs... Hopefully my dorf's copper armour will win out :-/

Yes, if dwarves die, it is over.

As for team colors, I have no found way to do it in vanilla. I guess cloning dwarf entry and changing its tile to red colored would work.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 10:41:29 am »

This is so cool!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:54 am »

As for team colors, I have no found way to do it in vanilla. I guess cloning dwarf entry and changing its tile to red colored would work.

Aha, if you posess a creature, then press z-y-n, you can name them. Obviously it would take ages for all the dogs, but maybe you could name the dorfs? Or even just a message at the beginning like:

Team 1 - Blue - Huggs

VS

Team 2 - Green - Criptfeind
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 11:12:03 am »

Quaterfinals match report:

1. kilakan
vs.
   4. Greiger

This one was incredibly close! withing 10 seconds, Gredier lost four of his unskilled meatbags and kilakan two marksmen. Bob, the swordmaster got stunned and stopped killing stuff, ironically enough he entered martial trance when stunned and continued to kill three more marksmen.

It seemed that everything is decided, but two remaining marksmen decided it it hammer time and proceed to stun him and wail at him till we was in extreme pain. Finally, Greiger marksmen ran out of bolts and decided to join hammer fun and quickly dispatched one of two last marksmen.

Whith bob and meatshield lying on gound he did honormable 1vs1, copper crosbow duel. But That did not end up well for him.

Now, one alive and kicking marksman saw his last two oponents incapacipated and proceded to beat crap out of them. Luckily, meatshield woke up and finished him off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqgpUhLDzQ

Aha, if you posess a creature, then press z-y-n, you can name them. Obviously it would take ages for all the dogs, but maybe you could name the dorfs? Or even just a message at the beginning like:

Team 1 - Blue - Huggs

VS

Team 2 - Green - Criptfeind

problem is that possessing creature advances game by one "turn" based on speed of critter, ruining begining of video.

I think i will just mod "red" and "blue" dwarves and other critters for next competition

Also, i will have to add captions as you said. luckily, youtube has nice system for this.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:15:30 am by zwei »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 11:13:39 am »

The only problem with that is that when you possess the creature time automatically passes until it gets a 'turn' and any creature you possess would probably miss it's first turn.

EDIT: God I wish I wasn't at school so I could watch the video.  I will have to wait til I get home to watch it in all it's glory.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:16:52 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 11:51:09 am »

Quaterfinals match report:

6. Criptfeind
vs
   7. Huggz

Wow, this was quite a bloodbath!

Criptfeinds 79 dogs simply tore copper-armored dwarves and their dogs apart. Each seccond, cannie repaer had to come for yet another dog. Dwarves were throughly enjoying this and entering matrial trances left and right!

Huggzs dwarves just had no chance, and Criptfeind got flawless victory here with all his dwarves intact and as good as new.

So, to Criptfeind goes yet another barking victory!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2UvfHZpUcs

Quaterfinals are done and finals pairing is:

4. Greiger
vs.
   6. Criptfeind

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 11:55:49 am »

arghhhhh so close....... SO CLOSE!
Nom nom nom