Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Creature Graphics not working properly  (Read 3209 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
[0.31.01] Creature Graphics not working properly
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:03:32 am »

So here's a report from user Cr9 who managed to poke around the graphics problems:

The first time you start the game with graphics in, they don't work. You generate a world, or go into arena; nothing works. Puzzled, you back out and do something else -- but zounds! The Es and Ds and Hs and numbers have vanished! Some walls too! You exit the game after your world generated, and come back later, and boot up DF mode, and what? The graphics work! Arena still won't, though.

So here's my interpretation of it: The first time you load the game, the graphics load for DF and AD mode only (?!) though it doesn't matter because you have to generate a world before you can see that. The graphics never load in Arena mode for some reason without messing up the tileset.

When you generate a world, the graphics break the tileset for some reason. That also happens if you enter Arena two times in a row. If you exit the game, and come back in to use the generated world, NOW graphics have loaded and unless you gen a new world or go into Arena, the graphics and tileset will stay loaded and work.

When trying to enable a graphics set in the usual way, the result is the default example graphics from Toady (The normal dwarf, a miner and a dwarf with an "M"). This happens even if the example graphics file is deleted from the raw/graphics folder (and it's not in the save/region1 raws either).
I suppose it might help to try and use a different set for testing this bug.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:04:45 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

MorphingJar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Creature Graphics not working properly
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:09:28 am »

I can confirm this.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:55:27 am »

What fixed it for me was generate a world use the worlds raws to enter arena mode.

profit.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 09:53:11 am »

So here's a report from user Cr9 who managed to poke around the graphics problems:

The first time you start the game with graphics in, they don't work. You generate a world, or go into arena; nothing works. Puzzled, you back out and do something else -- but zounds! The Es and Ds and Hs and numbers have vanished! Some walls too! You exit the game after your world generated, and come back later, and boot up DF mode, and what? The graphics work! Arena still won't, though.

So here's my interpretation of it: The first time you load the game, the graphics load for DF and AD mode only (?!) though it doesn't matter because you have to generate a world before you can see that. The graphics never load in Arena mode for some reason without messing up the tileset.

When you generate a world, the graphics break the tileset for some reason. That also happens if you enter Arena two times in a row. If you exit the game, and come back in to use the generated world, NOW graphics have loaded and unless you gen a new world or go into Arena, the graphics and tileset will stay loaded and work.

confirmed.

love your graphic mod btw, mate
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:08:12 am »

Confirming that. I fought with this for hours, then realised that evey world has it's own "graphics", then I lost those Es, Ds, Hs and so far. Graphics megabeast is a very powerful one.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »

Oh, BTW, I should have probably mentioned:
When trying to enable a graphics set in the usual way, the result is the default example graphics from Toady (The normal dwarf, a miner and a dwarf with an "M"). This happens even if the example graphics file is deleted from the raw/graphics folder (and it's not in the save/region1 raws either).
I suppose it might help to try and use a different set for testing this bug.
<3

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »

A bunch of people (me included) had this problem with phobius's graphic set
You can fix the problem of the game using the example graphics by deleting "graphics_example.txt" in the raw/graphics folder (also in the region save folder!)
Unless this is what you are talking about, and you're referring to a completely different deeper problem then I can comprehend.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:35:13 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but this is reminding me of a graphical glitch I'd have in 40d. I was using a customized tileset and graphics, and for some reason my capital E's would disappear. They'd be there when I started the program and genned a world/loaded a game/etc., but if I did anything that would place me back at the title screen (such as finish genning a world, quitting legends or saving) the E's would vanish until I closed and restarted the program.

I'm still using the same tileset/graphics in 31.01 and the E problem is actually fixed now. Go fig.  ::)