Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bronze  (Read 2414 times)

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bronze
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:14:16 am »

I've genned like 5 worlds now and none have any metal more advanced than bronze. It's a problem because with the new system bronze weapons are totally useless against anything tougher than basic leather.

Anyone have any ideas?

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bronze
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:16:20 am »

I love the truth in television.
http://www.cracked.com/article_16972_the-5-most-terrifying-civilizations-in-history-world.html
"The Assyrians were the first people to start using iron weapons instead of bronze which, to put into a modern perspective, is sort of like showing up for a knife fight with the Death Star. Using iron made the Assyrians so near-invincible that, really, the other guys might as well have been swinging around bananas."

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:30:58 pm »

Wasn't Iron a big step forward not because of higher strength but because it was much more plentiful and easier to find? (so you can arm everyone with the stuff rather than just important warriors)

Modern iron may be strong enough but the process back then produced a weaker metal.

Edit: Wiki'd!
Wrought iron is weaker than bronze, but because it was less expensive, and more easily sharpened, people used it anyway. Iron is by itself an adequately strong metal without additional alloys (although it could be further strengthened by case-hardening or forge welding small amounts of steel to areas subject to wear such as edges). Bronze, on the other hand, requires copper and tin, which are less common than iron. Additionally, iron can be sharpened by grinding whereas bronze must be reforged
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:36:51 pm by Tirin »

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:35:23 pm »

Is it possible to get civilizations with better metals? I keep trying but I'm having no luck.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 12:37:07 pm »

No, I think it's the new standard. Maybe if you modded a creature to only ever use steel you might get somewhere.

Wasn't Iron a big step forward not because of higher strength but because it was much more plentiful and easier to find? (so you can arm everyone with the stuff rather than just important warriors)

Modern iron may be strong enough but the process back then left a bunch of impurities and stuff.

It was a case of: really high-end bronze = pretty crap iron.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:41:29 pm »

No, I think it's the new standard.

Doesn't this totally screw up fortress mode balance? Is there anything i can change in the gen parameters or even a file i can modify to give them more advanced metals?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »

They have more advanced metals.  At least, they usually should.

They're not using bronze because they don't have iron, they're using bronze because bronze is better than DF-era iron, and, at the moment, the game isn't paying attention to the fact that it's harder to make by virtue of requiring somewhat less common minerals.

What we consider 'strong' iron is closer to (and is represented in the game by) steel.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:40:16 pm »

Unless things have changed I believe DF iron is stronger than bronze though, whether it should be or not(Bronze=75% effectiveness of iron).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:46:32 pm by Tirin »

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »

Well something is very wrong with the combat. If you go as a swordsman and try to find anyone with bronze armour you will be sat there for hours just bruising each other once in a while in between dozens of deflections.

I've only had one fight like that end without me getting bored and that was when a swordsman got in a lucky hit on my throat. Hammers are quite effective but bladed weapons and all projectiles are useless.

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

What is this talk of Dwarves not producing high quality iron!?

Dwarves are all but made of metals and stone, it seems ridiculous to me that bronze could ever surpass Dwarf-forged iron.

Perhaps this is the point of it; only the Dwarves are actually capable of producing quality iron.
[pizza=omnomnom]

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:47:51 pm »

Wrestle their armour off. It can't deflect if it isn't there! :D

Dwarves are all but made of metals and stone, it seems ridiculous to me that bronze could ever surpass Dwarf-forged iron.

Well, shouldn't their skill in metallurgy improve their bronze just as much though?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:49:28 pm by Tirin »

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:55:04 pm »

The best bronze will never be as good as the best iron. Doesn't the quality of the item take into account the quality of the metal? Not that it really matters because i'd still want a choice. like before we had bronze and iron weapons while now we just have bronze everything

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »

They do.  It's called steel.

The best bronze will never be as good as the best iron.
The "best iron" is steel (or something approaching steel.)

Unless things have changed I believe DF iron is stronger than bronze though, whether it should be or not(Bronze=75% effectiveness of iron).
The metal system was totally overhauled.  Look in the raws.  The differences are complicated, but overall bronze is better than iron, now; but weaker than steel.  This is realistic or, at least, more realistic than it was before.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:48:28 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 03:48:43 pm »

The best iron doesn't have to be steel. also where is the evidence that bronze is better than iron? i've as far as i was aware basic iron holds an edge far longer than equivalent bronze. maybe even the best bronze.
Pages: [1] 2