Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.31.02]Dead nobles can't be reassigned  (Read 9178 times)

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.02]Dead nobles can't be reassigned
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:15:00 am »

So I had goblins attacking my fort and - well let's just say it did not go well - and most of my dwarfes got slaughtered.

When I enter the nobles screen now only 2 positions are showing, the milita commander and the manager. Everything else is gone, so now that I finally could make use of the hospital I can't because I cannot assign someone as medical noble.

Also the descrition of the milita commander reads:
"A short, sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry, He is tall. His upper body is one".
He got killed by the goblins, I think he was a replacement for my old captain of the guard who died earlier on in the combat.
Can't replace him either and also not the manager.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:35:55 pm by TheCze »

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01]Dead nobles can't be reassigned
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »

Same issue, lost my broker and now I destined to trade with an ol' dwarf.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 02:57:18 pm »

I've also experienced this: the only surviving nobles were my manager, my book-keeper and (ironicly) my millitia commander. I was able to access these positions and 'millitia captain', but broker, expedition leader, arsenal dwarf and chief medical officer were all absent.

I played on for a year and had one migrant wave but none of the positions were re-filled or replaced. I would have attempted to reach a point where new nobles arrive but a year after the first massacre, a second goblin assault came and forced me to abandon the fort: both times it came just after the elven caravan and wiped out all the elves and most of my dwarves.

It was kinda game-breaking because trading was guesswork, I couldn't easily treat any of the wounded, and I couldn't manage the equipment for my soldiers.

Work-arounds for now will be making important positions vacant when an attack comes in, or having a high-security bunker (burrow) for nobles.

Edit: Also, saving and reloading doesn't restore them.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:42:42 pm by Dave Mongoose »

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 03:18:15 pm »

I noticed the same thing for squads.  Dead dwarves were still listed in the squad, and I had to manually remove them.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:29:10 pm »

Same here, my leader/broker became depressed and killed himself, now neither position can be filled - they are just missing completely from the nobles screen.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 05:10:47 am »

This might be related:
My manager/leader/bookkeeper was injured in the first month or so and spent many days languishing in the hospital with his bleeding thumb. *
(hehe, this makes me think of a cartoon I once saw of a fat blue cat that has a splinter in his paw and enters hospital hystrionics)
Anyhow, he still lives and eventualy doc made time for him, he still does his job.
BUT, no positions can be replaced anymore (besides the squad captains)
also, I have 30+ dwarves now and the armory dwarf etc have not appeared, also, the broker position is not visible.

An othe pos. issue: military squad captain positions are not culled when the appropriate squads have been deleted sometimes.

*Two other embark dwarves died of dehydration in the same incident, I'm not sure whether they had any positions assigned.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:12:37 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:25:00 am »

I had something of a similar issue with one of my forts.  I think it was because the dwarf with the highest leadership skill was also the one with the doctoring skills, so he was a surgeon rather than an expedition leader.  Either that or it just didn't assign it.  So I had no expedition leader at the start, couldn't designate one either, and as such I apparently couldn't assign potential jobs beyond basic mining and hauling and a couple of other jobs. 

For instance, I usually give my dwarves who aren't going to be doing much until everything is set up, like farmers, the job of stone detailing, so they can go along behind the miners fixing everything up, but couldn't.

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 10:29:14 am »

this is probably caused by your "expedition leader" being dead. Once he is dead all unassigned roles under him vanish. also any assigned roles can no longer be replaced until a new expedition leader gets around to showing up. This can take many many years. This behavior is believed to be a bug.

There have also been reports of seeing this effect after an expedition leader is badly wounded (but not killed). this behavior is much less predictable, and does not reproduce reliably.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:27:34 am »

Being unable to assign the roles because of the lack of leader seems realistic, but the idea of a heirarchical society like the dwarves in DF going for years without a leader seems unlikely.  Surely a despot would assume power quickly in a small fortress, or a new mayor be elected in a larger one?
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »

Yeah, I got this bug. The only positions this doesn't affect are military-related ones.

Kire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 06:19:36 pm »

this is probably caused by your "expedition leader" being dead. Once he is dead all unassigned roles under him vanish. also any assigned roles can no longer be replaced until a new expedition leader gets around to showing up. This can take many many years. This behavior is believed to be a bug.

There have also been reports of seeing this effect after an expedition leader is badly wounded (but not killed). this behavior is much less predictable, and does not reproduce reliably.

Are we sure that it restores after a few waves of immigrants, one of whom will be a new leader? I thought if any noble died their position disappeared.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 04:31:18 am »

I really hope this is true because my expedition leader died very soon after embark (an undead giant eagle marked him for death at the beginning and chased him for about a month or two until it finally got him).

The worst part is being unable to assign a stockkeeper.  I have no idea what I have...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:37:29 am by Stele007 »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 05:45:33 am »

I think the worst is missing the broker
and not getting a armoury master.

Does reclaiming re-enable the positions by forcing a new leader?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 07:36:40 am »

You're right, I forgot about the arsenal dwarf...

By reclaiming you mean abandoning and reclaiming the fortress?

Kode527

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 08:26:15 am »

I got mine back when the mayor decided to appear to my fortress.
Pages: [1] 2