Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.31.02]Dead nobles can't be reassigned  (Read 9228 times)

Teckno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01]Dead nobles can't be reassigned
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »

I get this regularly. I found that it fixes it self after the second visit from you mountain home liaison.

1. Lose Nobles
2. Dwarven caravan comes and I immediately get the (A Diplomat has left unhappy).
3. Wait 1 year for next caravan. Diplomat comes and my noble list is restored.

Perhaps you need a noble to manage the nobles. so if you lose your leader, your noble-less until someone shows up to reorganize the chain of command or something.

This might be more of a buggy feature then an out right bug

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to always be the case.  The dwarven caravan has come twice with no liason to meet with their diplomat, and with the next season of migrants I did not get a new liason.

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 07:26:22 pm »

I'm not sure if this is actually related or not, but whenever this bug acts up I can no longer page through my announcements or read combat reports.  This might be unrelated but I've never had this problem without the noble problem.

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 01:19:35 am »

Hmm, I only ever seem to have a single page of announcements, but my combat reports work fine.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 05:29:14 pm »

By the way, the title says "dead nobles", but it actually is any any nobles that are fixed when Exp.leader is gone.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Swamp Donkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.02]Dead nobles can't be reassigned
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 11:27:42 pm »

would it be possible to edit the raws to manually give a dwarf the expedition leader tag, and, if you could do that would it fix the problem?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 04:55:55 pm »

Sounds like we need a "chain of command", with deputies and underlings, so that the dead position of leader (expedition/mayor/etc) gets autofilled and we can continue on appointing as needed.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 01:16:59 am »

I have confirmed that if the mayor dies and a new one is re-elected all the positions reappear. I have not been able to confirm that this will happen for expedition leaders. For small fortresses if you change the line in the entity_default.txt raw file under mayor from [REQUIRES_POPULATION:50] to [REQUIRES_POPULATION:1] you should be guaranteed to have a mayor at all times and therefore only suffer a season or so downtime until the positions become available again.

I haven't tested this yet so if anyone does this and the raw change doesn't work as expected please post a seperate bug report about the raws not working. If expeditions leaders do in fact also get re-elected then make a note of that here.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 07:07:57 am »

My expedition leader went berserk and then I lost ability to assign any other dwarf. The list went blank except my chief medical dwarf who was already assigned. Haven't gotten mayor yet, population too low.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:27 pm »

I have confirmed that if the mayor dies and a new one is re-elected all the positions reappear. I have not been able to confirm that this will happen for expedition leaders. For small fortresses if you change the line in the entity_default.txt raw file under mayor from [REQUIRES_POPULATION:50] to [REQUIRES_POPULATION:1] you should be guaranteed to have a mayor at all times and therefore only suffer a season or so downtime until the positions become available again.

I haven't tested this yet so if anyone does this and the raw change doesn't work as expected please post a seperate bug report about the raws not working. If expeditions leaders do in fact also get re-elected then make a note of that here.

Seems to work on a new worldgen/embark, after having my expedition leader becoming mayor as soon as the game started (expedition leader always become the 1st mayor), i walled my military (a miner and the mayor) in a room with damp stone, disbanded the military and dug the damp stone wall.
Got the mayor drowning then.

As expected the bug when expedition leader/mayor dies occured, no more noble role listed.
I waited and waited, then a new mayor was elected to replace the original expedition leader/mayor and the entries came back.

Now that was on a completely new game, for an already exisiting one, saved after you lost the expedition leader, modifiying the in both the \raw\objects\ and the saved game...regionX\raw\objects\ changed nothing, after 2 seasons always no entry anywhere in the noble menu.

So lesson to learn before playing DF2010 : modify the line suggested by Drunken or as soon as you lose the expedition leader, your fun will be broken due to every noble entry exisiting only if that guy is alive.
And even hiding the expedition leader in a deep underground burrow guarded by dozen of guards will not be enough, as it needs just a "mood" that can't be satisfied to get him insane then dead, leading into the fun ending.

And with the mayor system started, losing the expedition leader (the 1st mayor) will not break the game anymore, as the noble listing will come back at each new mayor elected.
The point is to have the expedition leader surviving enough to reach the mayor requirement, and you're safe.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:42:08 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 [2]