Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1063920 times)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4905 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:27 pm »

My first forgotten beast is en route up the shaft to my fort.

Tharama Lonewisps is a huge quadruped made of grime and filth, it has wings, blah blah blah beware its deadly dust.

Is "grime and filth" one of those body compositions that are near impossible to kill, or should I just plan on sending a recuit to poke it with a stick until it falls over?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:01:21 pm by proxn_punkd »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: November 09, 2010, 11:28:24 pm »

Are lavish meals making my population fat?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: November 09, 2010, 11:40:02 pm »

Most beasts made of "not normal" things such as steam or grime tend to fight like they are made of steam or grime.
But this deadly dust may be a problem, I suggest taking it down from a distance.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: November 10, 2010, 12:42:01 am »

Well, I killed it, but most of the fort got exposed to the dust because my army went "cannot follow orders" when I ordered them to kill it, so I had to station them wherever it happened to be and then it would bolt.

Fortunately, whatever the dust did seems to have worn off, as it's spring now and the fort seems to be up and running at full dorfpower again.

@ Uzu Bash, I don't think so. If they are, just think of all the cultures that consider rotundity a sign of wealth and power. They're not fat, they're just really well-fed!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: November 10, 2010, 01:16:47 am »

Are lavish meals making my population fat?
Perhaps.
My mayor, who "occasionally overendulges" seems to have gained a rather large amount of girth since I embarked.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: November 10, 2010, 04:52:26 am »

The count 'is strapped with massive amounts of muscle and lard'. Well alright, he still works as hard as he indulges, and most the military are fit, even the ones with the extra weight. The mayor 'is just incredibly fat'. A lot of newer ones are 'corpulent', including kids, and I've seen a 'once thin frame is now bulging with fat' among the migrants. Some of them are just downright disgusting; 'hanging with bags of fat'.

Is the food too good here?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: November 10, 2010, 05:29:34 am »

the fatter they are the lower their healing rate, it has nothing to do with food. As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate. If you dont like stat loss, tweak the raw.

My question:
It's 6th year and overland animals have stopped coming for over half a year now. I've waited for season change to spring hoping that it'd cause them to start arriving again... no luck whatsoever. Are there any ways to remedy that?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: November 10, 2010, 06:15:33 am »

the fatter they are the lower their healing rate, it has nothing to do with food. As dwarves slowly lose their stats over time it's natural for them to get fatter as they age because there's no activities to train healing rate. If you dont like stat loss, tweak the raw.

so dwarves that die of old age in DF dont get shriveled and weak, but huge round masses of meat and fat that explode spectacularly upon their final birthday?

no wonder they try to live long - much better to die at the claws of a giant purple turd monster than explode like that :P

My question:
It's 6th year and overland animals have stopped coming for over half a year now. I've waited for season change to spring hoping that it'd cause them to start arriving again... no luck whatsoever. Are there any ways to remedy that?

check your unit screen (the 'u' one). there should be some underground or marine animals mentioned there as well. unless its a bug, the spawning trend has just moved to them now, so if you manage to kill those off, maybe (i stress the word as this is an assumption) the overland animals will spawn again.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4913 on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:09 am »

My question:

Did you kill a lot of overland animals?  As far as I can tell there are a finite number of wild animals generated, and once you've killed or captured them all no more will every appear.  There is also a limit on the number of wild animals that will be on the map at a time, so if you have a bunch of wild animals trapped somewhere more won't appear until those leave or are killed or caged.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: November 10, 2010, 10:49:55 am »

Today I was playing in my fortress when I got a wave of 19 migrants (89 dwarves now).
I was checking their skills and I saw one who had "Proficient military tactic(s)". Is there someone who know what it means ?(I can't find it in the wiki)

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: November 10, 2010, 11:18:03 am »

Did you kill a lot of overland animals?  As far as I can tell there are a finite number of wild animals generated, and once you've killed or captured them all no more will every appear.  There is also a limit on the number of wild animals that will be on the map at a time, so if you have a bunch of wild animals trapped somewhere more won't appear until those leave or are killed or caged.

does this include undead animals etc.?
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4916 on: November 10, 2010, 11:24:47 am »

does this include undead animals etc.?
Undead animals spawn forever, they don't have limited population numbers.  I think they're still restricted by the number of groups of animals on the screen at once however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ananasii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: November 10, 2010, 12:23:11 pm »

Today I was playing in my fortress when I got a wave of 19 migrants (89 dwarves now).
I was checking their skills and I saw one who had "Proficient military tactic(s)". Is there someone who know what it means ?(I can't find it in the wiki)

Next time try the search function - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military_Tactics

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: November 10, 2010, 01:14:18 pm »

Is there any way to allocate clothes to dwarves? I've got clothiers making all sorts of clothes, and, while I could of course trade them, it would be nice if dwarves could use them instead of their current garments.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: November 10, 2010, 01:15:59 pm »

You can assign them as part of a military uniform, so put the dwarves you want to assign clothes to in a squad. This is also handy if you want armoured civilians.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1178