Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1062150 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #7140 on: January 09, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

I heard that items inside of a very heavy container (lead bins, for example) are less prone to being thrown across the map at reclaim. Other than that there is no way.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:40 pm »

Lead/gold/platinum bins/barrels. Silver will almost stop the scattering.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: January 09, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »

Copper bins aren't scattered when i come to get my blue metal gear as adventurer either.

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: January 09, 2011, 09:33:28 pm »

I see... so basicly I stuff things into heavy metal containers which would prevent them from scattering around too much correct?

The items would still move a bit, but not too far right? Thanks for all the quick answers!

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: January 09, 2011, 09:42:31 pm »

ok, i got a problem, a weapon trap wounded a goblin and severed an artery, this goblin then gets caught in a cage trap and proceeds to bleed to death, how do i get his silver great axe?  i got no idea how to loot the corpse in the cage, which i ahev since built

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: January 09, 2011, 09:50:47 pm »

ok, i got a problem, a weapon trap wounded a goblin and severed an artery, this goblin then gets caught in a cage trap and proceeds to bleed to death, how do i get his silver great axe?  i got no idea how to loot the corpse in the cage, which i ahev since built

To kill off stuff in cages and loot them, this is what I do:

1) b ->  j = plant cages as buildings in a room

2) connect all cages to a single lever

3) fill room with water.

4) pull lever

5) wait for things to drown

6) drain water and loot.

Remember that items do flow with the water as it drains, so your drainage area needs to be fully accessable.

Remember to close the floodgate you use to flood the room before you release the traps or dead goblins can keep you from closing that door when you want to drain the room.

It takes forever to link up all the cages if you don't do it gradually over time.

It takes more mechanisms, but if you use many levers, or even 1 lever per cage, a large number of dwarves can link up cages quickly.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: January 09, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »

You don't have to build the cage. Just reclaim the axe from the stocks screen or by mass-reclaiming the square the cage is on.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:48 pm »

How much of an effect on your fps does generating a world with a huge number of megabeasts/semimega beasts have?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: January 09, 2011, 10:36:27 pm »

Very little, to my knowledge.
The size of the embark area has a much larger impact.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: January 09, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »

how do you mass claim?

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: January 09, 2011, 11:29:19 pm »

Designate [d], Set building/item properties [  b], and then Reclaim Items/Buildings [c], which will be selected by default.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:54:49 am by Imminent »

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: January 10, 2011, 01:54:31 am »

I seem to have a volcano that is draining itself. As far as I can tell all the magma on one side of the volcano is slowly disappearing, and the magma level has drained 10 z levels already.

It maybe relevant that it just turned to the wet season, however it is not raining.

As I specifically embarked on a volcano so I could power my forges, this is highly undesirable. Anyone have an idea what the hell is happening to it?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: January 10, 2011, 01:56:18 am »

It's possible your volcano is draining down into a cavern or even the magma sea.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: January 10, 2011, 02:01:38 am »

It's possible your volcano is draining down into a cavern or even the magma sea.
unless some cavern collapsed for very very wierd reasons or some amazing glitches occurred, that's quite unlikely. Volcanoes are vertically straight magma tubes with guaranteed obsidian walls. It wont ever collapse on its own.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: January 10, 2011, 02:17:52 am »

unless some cavern collapsed for very very wierd reasons or some amazing glitches occurred, that's quite unlikely. Volcanoes are vertically straight magma tubes with guaranteed obsidian walls. It wont ever collapse on its own.

I always get a notification that some cavern has collapsed immediately upon embarking on a volcano, however these have never resulted in the volcano draining.
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1178