Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1049862 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8820 on: February 17, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »

Ok false alarm everyone.  It looks like my dwarf wanted multiple pieces of cloth.

Now, there's no way he should have wanted three bits of cloth.  The time elapsed between his two demans was the same and he only picked up one stone.  Odd.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: February 17, 2011, 10:09:37 pm »

Also, do Giant cave spiders silk webs randomly spawn in caverns? I have a few patches in one of mine, but I can't find the GCS.

Its possible that the CGS has already left the cavern.
GCS's are like any other cavern creature, including FB's. Eventually, they will wander off the edge of the map.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8822 on: February 17, 2011, 10:37:02 pm »

Also, do Giant cave spiders silk webs randomly spawn in caverns? I have a few patches in one of mine, but I can't find the GCS.

GCS's are like any other cavern creature, including FB's. Eventually, they will wander off the edge of the map.

Perhaps I'm thinking of something else then, or the GCS was blinking because he was one top of a stone?

Also, all my animals were chilling in the dining halls. By the time I realized they needed to eat, they were all starving. I assigned them to a pasture topside and dwarfs brought them up, but none of them will eat. A few months later, they're starting to starve to death and none of them have stopped starving.

My starter yak bull and cow :(
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: February 17, 2011, 10:43:01 pm »

Is there grass for them to eat?

Also, I think cavern biomes that can spawn GCS will have their webs even if none have been on the map yet.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: February 17, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »

Ok false alarm everyone.  It looks like my dwarf wanted multiple pieces of cloth.

Now, there's no way he should have wanted three bits of cloth.  The time elapsed between his two demans was the same and he only picked up one stone.  Odd.
Might have been a change to how moody dwarves demand their items, I noticed something like that in 31.18. Lists changed to what items a dwarf needs instead of all of the items.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:08 pm »

Can tame vermin be put to pasture?

Edit: Clarified tame vermin.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: February 17, 2011, 11:44:10 pm »

Perhaps I'm thinking of something else then, or the GCS was blinking because he was one top of a stone?

Also, all my animals were chilling in the dining halls. By the time I realized they needed to eat, they were all starving. I assigned them to a pasture topside and dwarfs brought them up, but none of them will eat. A few months later, they're starting to starve to death and none of them have stopped starving.

My starter yak bull and cow :(
The only thing I can think of is that it had no grass or was too small. Apparently cows go through a lot. Currently I have 4 goats and a few truckloads of rabbits buzzing around a roughly 20x20 pasture and they are ok, but I don't know how that translates to cows.
Memento Mori

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: February 18, 2011, 02:55:46 am »

DO pastures mean that cages can no longer hold a billion animals indefinitely? Do cats and dogs need to eat?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:26 am »

I know that there are some titans that can fly, and some that can swim. But has there ever been a case where a titan/FB was an underwater creature? I'd like to put a floor on top of a river, essentially sealing it from the outside. I've never heard of a titan spawning inside a river before.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: February 18, 2011, 03:14:04 am »

I know that there are some titans that can fly, and some that can swim. But has there ever been a case where a titan/FB was an underwater creature? I'd like to put a floor on top of a river, essentially sealing it from the outside. I've never heard of a titan spawning inside a river before.

From what I've seen, all FBs are swimmers. In one of my forts I got like two FBs - one was a huge snake with mandibles (snakes I expect to swim) and the other was gigantic pink-feathered pangolin (whereas I severely doubt the swimming ability of a massive armoured creature found most often in deserts). Both went for a nice refreshing dip in the cavern lake before coming up the shore to be put down by my millitary.

If the river connects to the map edge, it can and will spawn there (especially if you sealed off all the other map edges with walls). I doubt you'll be able to get your dwarves to build a floor over the river without getting a million interrupts, though.

So dwarf up and send your millitia down thee, damn it!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Digdig

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: February 18, 2011, 03:39:32 am »

I've been playing DF for a few months now, only now really starting to dabble with magma. And in the spirit of learning i've used dwarf liquids to fill some tunnels I'd dug below future workshops/forges.

My only problem is that I cna't actually build magma smelters yet. I know they are meant to be available once you discover it, so why haven't they been enabled on my build menu yet?

If you just put magma in without discovering a vein/sea then you won't have the option, just dig a stairwell straight down to the sea and you can build them.

Thanks! I did think i might have to trigger an event in that way. There goes my cheaty work-around...

FallenCleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:25 am »

Had an elven or human caravan recently with studded gem for thade. Does that mean I can chain decorations by, say, studdyng gem, then encrusting some bone item with it, then decorating anything else with resulting bone ets.
Also I wonder if there's a way to build down. If i breach the cavern from above and start building downwards ramps or ladders to finally get down to it's floor shall I succeed?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: February 18, 2011, 06:27:43 am »

Had an elven or human caravan recently with studded gem for thade. Does that mean I can chain decorations by, say, studdyng gem, then encrusting some bone item with it, then decorating anything else with resulting bone ets.
Also I wonder if there's a way to build down. If i breach the cavern from above and start building downwards ramps or ladders to finally get down to it's floor shall I succeed?
Not sure what you mean by your first question.
Second question, though, is yes. b-C-x, Up-Down Staircase.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: February 18, 2011, 06:50:01 am »

I'm fairly sure you can only encrust finished goods with gems, bone, and other such things. You can't encrust just a stack of bones, it'd have to be a bone helm or something first. Similarly, I don't think you can decorate "cut gems" with anything, as they're only used in encrusting (or just trading away).

If you make a stockpile that only accepts large gems, leather, small cut gems and bone/ivory/horn/tooth far enough away from the other stockpiles,  though, the craftsdwarf/jewelers who go to work at those workshops will encrust and decorate the large gems with aforementioned materials. It may be a smart idea to make a burrow and assign a couple of craftsdwarf to it, make a small food stockpile and a dining room next to it, because if your main dining room and your other stockpiles are (food and finished goods) are on the same level, sometimes they'll go have dinner and then grab, say, a rock mug from a stockpile in that level and run down/over to the workshop they're assigned to.

For extra value, only let craftsdwarves/jewelers of above a certain skill level work at these workshops.

Or you could make a lot of rock mugs. Whatever.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8834 on: February 18, 2011, 08:43:04 am »

Is there grass for them to eat?

Also, I think cavern biomes that can spawn GCS will have their webs even if none have been on the map yet.

Ya there was plenty of grass, apparently they can only eat so much at certain times. My yaks were starving for a year eating grass O.o I'm guessing the three that died were close to dying when I put them up there so they couldn't eat fast enough, or maybe ate themselves to death.

Not that it matters now, goblins killed them all. And 20 of my dwarfs. And an elf merchant.

Also: There is a large clay loam in my finished goods stockpile. Apparently you can get large clay loams like large cut gems?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:17:45 pm by tolkafox »
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 1178