Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1062089 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15870 on: October 30, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »

No worries, it won't go bad.
Love, scriver~

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: October 30, 2011, 06:12:12 pm »

Anybody know how to keep Rhinos alive?

I had one starve to death in the middle of a huge pasture, and now my second one is starving.

It seems they can't eat fast enough to survive.

What am I doing this wrong.

Nick

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: October 30, 2011, 06:21:57 pm »

As you say, they can't eat fast enough. You can change their raws to stop this - change [GRAZER:20] to [GRAZER:100] in the Rhinoceros section of creature_large_tropical.
Love, scriver~

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flashing items
« Reply #15873 on: October 30, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »

Hi All,

I've been wondering about this for a long time, and still haven't worked it out by myself.
I'm sure there is a really simple answer, and I'll kick myself when someone tells me...

On my refuse pile, some items flash on and off, while others remain steady. What do the flashing ones mean?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: October 30, 2011, 08:48:26 pm »

what affects the chances of 2 dwarfs getting married? is it just spending time together while being single and opposite gender? or do personalities have to fit? and if so, how?

I think there's a little more than just time together that's involved...I seem to remember Toady discussing relationships and marriage in one of the DF talks. I'm pretty sure he said that dwarves can't marry direct siblings but can marry cousins, and I think (but am less sure) that he said religion plays a role, so dwarves are more likely to marry if they worship the same god.

A quick survey of my dwarves says that the first five or so married couples in the units list all share at least one god, so I'm pretty sure that dwarves tend to have a religion in common after they marry.

I think dwarves can sometimes change religions, too, so I'm not sure how important it is that the dwarves start out as the same religion.

I'm reluctant to say it, as I don't want to start a rumor that may turn out to be false, but if religious iconography can influence dwarves' religion, it's possible that you could increase the chances of marriage by choosing a state religion and having a worshiper churn out a few hundred masterwork statues of the official deity, to increase religious compatibility.

If it works, though, it's probably not as important as the amount of free time dwarves have to socialize.

Hi All,

I've been wondering about this for a long time, and still haven't worked it out by myself.
I'm sure there is a really simple answer, and I'll kick myself when someone tells me...

On my refuse pile, some items flash on and off, while others remain steady. What do the flashing ones mean?
The flashing items are probably corpses of megabeasts. Corpses of normal creatures won't blink, I'm not sure about elite goblins and the like.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: October 30, 2011, 09:42:17 pm »

The flashing items are probably corpses of megabeasts. Corpses of normal creatures won't blink, I'm not sure about elite goblins and the like.

No, its early in the game right now. All I've killed is wild animals, tame critters, and vermin. Its the little "z" characters that are the left over bits that are flashing. But there is no pattern to them either as the original source or the current item. Some are just "remains" some are skulls, etc....

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: October 30, 2011, 09:50:13 pm »

There's a ghost in my fortress (a merchant who was rotted by a goblin general/& and then clawed to pieces) and it's emitting miasma.
Also, an armorer mooded and he's asking specifically for adamantine wafers. He likes adamantine.

Are both these occurences normal?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:55:47 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: October 30, 2011, 10:03:55 pm »

No, its early in the game right now. All I've killed is wild animals, tame critters, and vermin. Its the little "z" characters that are the left over bits that are flashing. But there is no pattern to them either as the original source or the current item. Some are just "remains" some are skulls, etc....
Perhaps you have two items on those squares, and the flashing is between items?

Nick

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: October 30, 2011, 10:13:14 pm »

Are they flashing to little dots? Could be vermin.
Love, scriver~

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: October 30, 2011, 10:21:23 pm »

Er, now that ghost is faint... I think he's bleeding.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: October 30, 2011, 11:46:19 pm »

Your ghost issue has been reported once before, it seems, in August, as bug 4865, though there isn't a whole lot of detail in the bug report.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: October 31, 2011, 12:13:15 am »

There's a ghost in my fortress (a merchant who was rotted by a goblin general/& and then clawed to pieces) and it's emitting miasma.
Also, an armorer mooded and he's asking specifically for adamantine wafers. He likes adamantine.

Are both these occurences normal?
Your ghost issue has been reported once before, it seems, in August, as bug 4865, though there isn't a whole lot of detail in the bug report.

Oh hey, that's my bug! Now I feel special, other people having my problems :D

So yeah, afaik miasma-ghosts are a bug, moods asking for candy are a feature.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: October 31, 2011, 12:16:42 am »

Are they flashing to little dots? Could be vermin.

No, its flashing to show the pile symbol below - in this case the equals sign.

And there is only one different bit of refuse on each square.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:51 am »

Are they on a stair or ramp or something?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: October 31, 2011, 12:53:03 am »

Are they on a stair or ramp or something?

Yes, looking more closely the flashing ones are all on ramps. That will make them flash?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:35:10 am by PenguinHero »
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1178