Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.  (Read 25610 times)

talrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.
« on: April 02, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »

I tried looking all over and aside from people mentioning "No fish, lol" I haven't seen anything solid about this... but...

Everywhere I embark, every world I create,  every stream, brook, river, and lake...  Has no fish.

Add to that the fact that there are maybe 1-2 animals running around,  food becomes reliant pretty quick on crops.  Crops I need for booze.   Anyone else's rivers run lifeless?

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:55:05 pm »

This is partly correct, partly incorrect. In my map world atm I have 3 major fishing areas:

surface pool - plenty of fish visible - plenty of fish catchable - very few "no fish to catch in <area>" warnings

surface brook - plenty of fish visible - plenty of fish catchable - very few "no fish to catch in <area>" warnings

underground cavern pool - a few fish visible - none catchable - constant "no fish to catch in <area>" warnings

Now, this seems a bit odd since I can see various vermin fish in the UG pools, but on the surface I am doing fine. I have about 100 fish in stocks atm, and I can still catch them.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

talrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:57:43 pm »

Strange.   I get constant (No fish) warnings... plus if I actually go down and watch the water... Nothing.   Just constant water flow.   I had my brother watch the screen while I was out, and he didn't see a single thing either.    Could some sort of setting be effecting this?  The only fish I've even seen since starting play has been on the embark screen.

EDIT:  Could it be something dealing with me turning temperature and weather off for performance issues??
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:06:39 pm by talrave »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:29:30 pm »

I have also had 0 fish caught on my map. The map does freeze in the spring and winter, though, perhaps this fish just aren't spawning from previously frozen areas?

I occasionally get the 'no fish available' message, but I do see ponds that claim to be fishable. Never see any fish in them, though, and my fisherdwarf has never caught a fish in the entire span of this fort (a little over a year) despite going out and fishing pretty often.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 01:47:02 pm »

My oceans are completely lifeless as well, along with very spare local wildlife in groups of one.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »

My brook has nothing to catch in it, and never has.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:08:19 pm »

This may be related to the deadly water problem people have been running into.  What is the temperature of your water?
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 03:46:22 pm »

How do I find that out?

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »

Not sure, but if your dwarves start melting or slugmen explode whenever it rains, then it's a good indication it's too hot.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

talrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:50:35 pm »

I don't think it's temperature related...  After countless attempts I finally got some turtles... but thats it.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 06:42:36 pm »

My brook is lifeless, too. Though as I embarked in a desert/rocky wasteland I'm not that surprised.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:07:49 pm »

Ponds aren't turning up any fish. Don't have a brook, so I don't know about that...
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:43:37 pm »

Temperate brook through a forest produces turtles just fine. Temp on, weather on. Rain isn't causing casualties either.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 10:39:58 pm »

The river through my temperate forest has/had a sea lamprey and a sturgeon in it, but I haven't done any fishing.

talrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 11:11:47 pm »

I think I can say it's official that our fish are going somewhere.   I blame Dagon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5