Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.  (Read 25611 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 03:20:40 pm »

Apocalypse. No more fishy friends to eat.

And that while fish were my pretty much always one of my primary food sources.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Naia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »

New fort. Artic ocean this time and no vermin fish to see or catch at all.

But shortly after embark some whales enter. 2 of them tries to swim on land and airdrown. When i butcher one, it yeields ~ 450 meat + liver, kidny and so on, giving a total of around 1k "meals".. seems a bit unbalanced  ;D

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »

But shortly after embark some whales enter. 2 of them tries to swim on land and airdrown. When i butcher one, it yeields ~ 450 meat + liver, kidny and so on, giving a total of around 1k "meals".. seems a bit unbalanced  ;D
Really?  It's a whale.  A rainbow trout weighs what, a pound or two?  and a whale weighs thousands..

[/quote]
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

JabberWockey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:30 am »

Don't see a problem with this

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 11:15:14 am »

All these claims of no fish really baffle me. I have been completely unable to reproduce this at all and I have really tried with well over a dozen different embark sites.

When reporting not having fish, please include details about your location, what terrain type is it on, savanna? grassland? Look for the exact terrain type(s) listed before you embark and make a note of it.

declaring an activity zone is a quick and easy way to test for fish in a location. Do this at embark.

Fish availability also appears to change seasonally. Even if you have no fish, keep checking now and then, sometimes fish show up later.

I have not personally had even one single fort that truly had no fish. and I've done quite a bit of testing already. The only way I seem to be able to generate this claimed lack of fish is to go to a scorching or freezing environment with no river. evaporated or frozen ponds have no fish. duh?

I have occasionally seen at embark one or more bodies of water that had zero fish. I have never seen all bodies of water have no fish at embark. Each time I have seen that fish did later appear in every body of water during some part of the season.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:16:52 am by DoctorZuber »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 11:48:11 am »

My issue, rather then a lack of fish at all, seems to be a lack of catchable fish. My fisherdwarves go off to various pools and attempt to fish for a while, never catch anything, and I then get a 'no fish' message for the pond.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 12:07:13 pm »

i believe there has been reports of skill level effecting fishing like catching the damn thing cause they are trying to fish with hands.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »

i believe there has been reports of skill level effecting fishing like catching the damn thing cause they are trying to fish with hands.

^^^

Actually this makes sense, since i recently was on a map with 0 fish and a legendary fisherdwarf ( I hate the skills that immigrants have now gimme my unskilled peasants back) came in and i started getting fish... however it was only a dozen per year.
Back to Mafia with me!

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 01:54:49 pm »

You know, if I was living there, after a while, I'd be bloody well done and sick with nothing but  two year old whale meat.  I feel sorry for the poor dwarf who had to butcher that thing.  His shop must have just exploded.
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 10:10:39 pm »

Temperate Grassland, no winter freezes, recently embarked.
Needed to fish in order to survive initial period while I attempted to set up some viable farming operations.

Brook: No fish. No caught Fish. No fish were found.
Pool: No fish. Ditto.
Carved pool: No fish. Ditto.
Underworld: Giant cave spiders met. Engaged. Fortress Abandoned due to impressive amounts of gore replacing dwarves.
 :(

As giant cave spiders are not fish, I have to say, this site did not appear to have any fish.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:16:24 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

The lack of fish in this version has made it impossible to acquire shells for me, and thus has already accounted for the death of at least 9 moody dwarves.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 12:41:09 am »

The lack of fish in this version has made it impossible to acquire shells for me, and thus has already accounted for the death of at least 9 moody dwarves.

I had the exact same problem. 6 dwarves offed themselves bacause there where no shells around. But then! A forgotten beast appeared! After introducing it to the sharp side of an axe it was butchered an lo! 56 shells are now neatly stored in my stockpile!
They have to last ... until the next shell bearing forgotten beast comes along (or a patch) :)
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 01:23:26 pm »

I had the exact same problem. 6 dwarves offed themselves bacause there where no shells around. But then! A forgotten beast appeared! After introducing it to the sharp side of an axe it was butchered an lo! 56 shells are now neatly stored in my stockpile!
They have to last ... until the next shell bearing forgotten beast comes along (or a patch) :)

I had this exact same scenario show up!  Underworld, had a moody dwarf demanding shells, absolutely no fish anywhere on the map or underground (despite what the fishing zone said) and a forgotten beast showed up (which can apparently swim, as the only way to get to my underground fort entrance was to cross a lake to the island I was on).  Unfortunately, that was the period when I discovered that my entire squad was manned by relatives of Urist McMorbid, as the stationed, activated, equipped and Kill ordered dwarfs, in plain sight of the beast, just sat there and let it rampage throughout the fortress, killing everyone and everything in sight.

In the end..Fishing is buggy.

..so is the Military  :-\

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 03:59:31 pm »

I'm constantly getting this too, both under- and above-ground, at best I can find turtles but never anything else.

Usually this is with no temperature (temperate regions), no weather, varying age worlds (between 100 - 1000 years for islands/regions in world gen), decently skilled fisherdwarves.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 05:01:30 pm »

Temperate forest, river and murky ponds.  Used the "Embark now" option and two of my starting seven were fisherdwarves.  Despite their best attempts neither the river nor the ponds have yielded a single fish or turtle.  Not for lack of trying, those two determinedly go right to the water sources first thing every season and stand there a bit before the "There are no fish in the <whatever>" message pops up.  Those are two dwarves who went on the wrong expedition. 
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5