Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.  (Read 25607 times)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] No Fish. Anywhere.
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2010, 08:28:53 pm »

I don't understand what people are saying about the fishing zone saying that there are fish.

It doesn't. It says how many squares can be fished from.

Correct.
It doesn't say jack about the abundance of fish.

In 0.28, the indication will be reduced to 0 once the "no fish" message comes up, and no dwarves will go there anymore.

Actually it is more annoying when YOU CAN SEE FISH SWIMMING IN THE BODY OF WATER that the game said "no fish".
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:49:01 am by NFossil »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2010, 07:29:04 am »

Not a single fish or turtle anywhere on my map.  Ever.  Constant "nothing left to catch" messages.  (Plenty of murky pools, plus a brook.)

I think I may have seen a toad or two, but no more.

Absolutely no above-ground animals either.  Not a single marmot, goat, groundhog, deer, wolf--nada.  On the embark screen, where it usually says "strike the earth ere the wolves/cougars/giant eagles/whatever get hungry", there was no animal type listed.  Just "beasts".  Passing strange, and I'm quite disappointed, but between elven imports and the cavern critters, I can tolerate it.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:02 am »

Absolutely no above-ground animals either.  Not a single marmot, goat, groundhog, deer, wolf--nada.  On the embark screen, where it usually says "strike the earth ere the wolves/cougars/giant eagles/whatever get hungry", there was no animal type listed.  Just "beasts".  Passing strange, and I'm quite disappointed, but between elven imports and the cavern critters, I can tolerate it.

That definitely sounds like an issue with your particular site. I've certainly had my share of non-water-based wildlife.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »

I embarked at the ocean, and they are reeling in hundreds of fish. It seems the growth is almost exponential, I'm swimming in fish (heh)!

Saithis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 05:18:18 am »

Using the default worldgen settings across several sites, I found the following results:

Temperate Forest w/ River & Mountainside:
2x turtle (2 years of attempted fishing by skilled fisherdwarfs.)

Hot Ocean shore w/ Pools:
No fish (2 seasons of attempted fishing by skilled fisherdwarfs.)

Temperate Swamp w/ River:
No fish (1.5 years of attempted fishing by unskilled fisherdwarfs.)

If this doesn't work with totally stock worldgen, then something sounds wrong.  As for more terrestrial wildlife, I've seen a fair share of mountain goats and hoary marmots and the like, even a giant eagle and a few bears, but not too many in total - I see maybe 5-6 total animals move through the site in a given year.  Feels a little low compared to some of my old forts although it's not exactly barren.

EDIT: Nevermind, I hadn't installed the new update properly.  Upon reinstalling it, everything seems to be working as intended.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:12:02 am by Saithis »

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 09:04:20 pm »

I'm really disheartened by this, and was hoping it was simply my couple worldgens that caused the issue. I'm a real fan of aquatic biomes, particularly beaches. I like glass lighthouses built so that waves create mist that travels through window slits--for mood and cleansing purposes. However, my seasonal practice of watching defensive fish balling, the odd whale, and awaiting the day a mermaid appears, is kind of hampered by this update.

Plus, shells aren't very user friendly. While of no value in their raw form, they don't change when worked. So they're useless refuse, or repeat tasks if you want. On a better note, I found a rather interesting space, it's a bit more 'grounded' than I like. But I still have some ocean to watch, with primary residents being some reaaaal deep sea nettle jellies. The freshwater lakes on the elevated plain seem to have a rather replenishing array of freshwater fish and turtle. I've only seen one actual sea fish, an Opah.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2010, 12:50:27 pm »

Still getting this in 31.04 as well, not sure if it matters but the biome  is quite warm, tropical savanna, and all the murk pools were dry on embark. I'm posting the save on dffd and I'll edit it into the post as soon as I'm done. Here is the save folder.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:10:30 pm by Nirreln »
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2010, 04:37:07 am »

I'm going to spend this weekend looking through the raws, pretending I know Python, at least, I think it's python. Doesn't look like C++, which is the only language I have experience in.

EDIT: Was able to get a crapton of turtles in a warm freshwater swamp...oddly enough, there was a saltwater crocodile on the map. Changed the creature tile tag to 15 instead of 151 after noticing that the raws on the wiki had the creature tile at 15 and my raws were at 151. Going to test in a couple more areas. I do not think that was the problem though.

EDIT2: Good news, was able to get plenty of turtles in a temperate shrubland. Further testing probably needed, but seeing as since the creature tile change from 151 to 15 I have had turtles in 2 out of 2 fortresses, and not having turtles on at least 20 previous forts, I think I might be on to something.

EDIT3: Created a fortress near the ocean to see if I was lucky there too. I was, so I'm starting to think that my guess on the problem might be wrong. I'm going to generate another world and test further. I'm going to be very confused if the lack of fish is due to one tiny syntax error in the raws for turtles.

EDIT4: Created a new world and got some turtles on a mountain map that happened to have a couple pools. Created another map with a stream and was not able to catch any fish in either the pools or the stream. I think it might have something to do with streams/brooks.

EDIT5: Played on the same world as the one where I couldn't find turtles and embarked in an area without a stream/brook. Was able to catch lots of turtles. Also noticed there was an aquifier. Going to see if I can find a map without an aquifier and see if turtles still appear. If they do, it's probably the brooks thing then or maybe some bizarre combination of the two.

EDIT6: Unfortunately, I was unable to recreate the turtles again, be it on a map with an aquifier, without an aquifier, with a river, or with a river and an aquifier. I think I have hit a dead end. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:12:02 am by Labhras »

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2010, 06:32:37 pm »

Every fortress I've created in 31.04 has had fish or mussells or turtles or a combination of them.

The catchable fish and mussells are new in 31.04. The turtles I've had since 31.01. I haven't altered my raws, I've only altered the init and d_init settings to get rid of the blackspace, display water by depth, prompt for full scren on startup, and define how big my screen is in full screen mode.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2010, 06:43:52 am »

What sort of fortresses do you start on? I'm starting to think it's a matter of not being able to catch anything in pools that are set to evaporate.

TomCatFort

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:22 am »

I have the v0.31.04 and i got plenty of fishes in a brook. It was in a temperate genome. But me seas was still fish-less. Do we know what cause this bug?

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2010, 07:37:34 am »

I'm starting to think you will only catch anything if you embark on an area where the pools don't dry up at any point during the year. Not sure about freezing.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »

Pools that evaporate are good for mussells.

I haven't hit the extremes of scorching or glacier/artic yet, but I have been in cool, temperate and hot maps.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]