Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Military Bugs  (Read 39010 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Military Bugs
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 01:04:13 pm »

I didn't see any other threads that dealt with military only and I assume these are truly bugs.

I used an armor stand to create a barracks; I put a dorf into my one squad so he could train up a bit in case of an emergency.  He would never stop training, though he would stop and eat, drink and sleep at appropriate times.  I decommissioned the barracks with the armor stand, now the newly freed dorf will not take any job, there are a bunch he should be able to do.  The game now does not recognize the armor stand, I cannot select it with the 'q' key to either re-create a barracks or un-build the armor stand.

In 31.03 I just had this issue.

I seem to have been able to fix it by recreating a squad with that dwarf in it, then assign him new orders. He's now sparring in his free time but also hauling things around and digging as he should be.

EDIT:

Nevermind, not fixed. Still very iffy. Showing up as NO JOB, but they're not counting towards my idler count either. They're sometimes doing things, sometimes not. Still bugged.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:32:21 pm by Hyndis »

Froibo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 10:05:02 pm »

I don't get it, I have the exact opposite problem.  My dorfs just sit around and "wait for training" even though everyone in the squad is in the barracks.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 07:17:06 am »

Shooting seems pretty bugged.
Last fort - no problem hunters hunt, crossbowdwarves even practice from time to time with wood/bone bolts - but with my new fort i cant get them to shoot shit(they carry their quivers with bolts and crossbows around - so thats not it). Goblins on the other hand dont have that problem and shoot silver arrows like there is no tomorrow...
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 01:42:01 am »

My marksdwarves don't even train, I have tons of bolts for them to use (and configured correctly, bone for training only, wood for combat and training, metal for combat) and they won't use the targets for practice.  I can't figure it out, the area is set for them to train in, the shooting direction checks out, they're carrying training bolts, they even go to the training grounds, but they just sit around doing nothing.

There's also the little issue of dwarves trying to grab equipment and failing forever.  They just keep going to that one glove or boot (its almost always a glove or boot), trying to put it on, failing, going away, then going back to the one item to try again.  I swear I've had dwarves spend an entire month (if not more) in the same 4 tile loop.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:43:47 am by Pacho »

Treason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 12:39:00 pm »

I've experienced all these problems during one fortress's (limited) life span, or another.  Now, though, I having issues where I assign a militia commander, assign dwarfs under him, but upon moving away from the positions menu in any way, shape or form (including canceling out of it) EVERY dwarf disappears from the roster, and the squad hangs empty despite being there.

I figure it's some sort of bug for when you don't start building up a military until after assigning an Arsenal Dwarf...who takes too damned long to get anything done.

Modified for extra clarity:  They hang empty from the roster.  As in, do not even show up as listable dwarfs to be assigned to the squad over again.  But, they can be activated and sent off to do things from the Squad command menu just fine.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:42:09 pm by Treason »

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
Military Bugs
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 10:51:02 am »

Basic info:
Press 'm' to bring up the Military screen.

A lot of things can be modified in the "schedule" part of the military screen. 
Press 's' to edit the schedule.

You can use the mouse on this screen.

You can modify more than just Active/Training alert schedule. 
Use '/' '*' to modify "Inactive" and any custom alerts you made.

Press 's' to modify the sleeping preference for the selected month.  I like "Sleep in barracks at will", I think they store stuff in their bedroom less.

Press 'u' to modify inactive clothes to "civilian" or "uniformed" for the selected month. I'm not sure which is better, I would guess uniformed but they seem dumb both ways.

Press 'x' to cancel a training order for the current month.  This sets it to "No scheduled order".  You can give them a months vacation even when Active/Training this way.

Press 'e' to edit the order.  By default, all this lets you do is change minimum number of dwarves training at one time.  But...

Press 'o' to give an order on the selected month.  The only one that works is "Train".  You gain the ability to select which soldiers are preferred for training.  After using it on one month, you can 'e'dit other months and make the same selections. 

Press 'c' to copy the selected month settings, and 'p' to paste on the selected month.  I like to 'n'ame the month settings before copying.  "Sleep in barracks at will" is copied, but "Civilian clothes" is not.

I haven't found a combination of uniform, sleep preference, and training priority that works best.  Maybe someone else can!  Remember that these settings are only supposed to apply to the current alert state.  In the main game screen, press 's' to select the squad and 't' to change the alert level.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 11:18:08 am »

I'll be honest. The millitary system is horrible.

Before, I could station someone where I want, he'd kill enemies and etcetera. Job done.

Now. I've stationed a Dwarf right next to a Rutherer. The thing walked past him.

The Dwarf didn't even attempt to hit it, I've no idea what's wrong but just one of these things is too much for my cavern because my millitary has unknowingly become part of "The Special Forces"...And not the cool ones either.

And my marksdwarf carried around a crossbow but no quiver or bolts. Not just that, he doesn't even carry the crossbow now. I've no idea what's wrong with the new system but personally the old one was just fine in my opinion. At least I can kill things. Part of me wishes there was a version, of the new version, without the new millitary because most of the other new stuff is pretty cool and everything works ok pretty much. ( In my observation so far. )
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 11:20:13 am »

Yep, military sucks now.  We're supposed to be finding the bugs.. complaining is OK too, because when everyone complains about it, it gets to be higher priority to work on.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 02:06:32 pm »

Arg!

I wish I'd read about this bug before putting all my dorfs into the military.

My new fort is in mid-spring of its second year, the dwarven caravan didn't show up, I've got 2 units of booze left, and all but 4 of my dorfs are refusing to do any work.

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 11:10:45 pm »

I seem to have a case of the bug where my squad will not do anything - even don their uniforms - unless directly under a kill order.  Pretty much means they are worthless, disbanding and making a new squad didn't help.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 11:26:25 pm »

More details:

This seems to have stemmed from when I accidentally disbanded an active squad

-squad hangs around in barracks in civvies
*try disbanding and making new squad
-same thing
*try changing minimum dwarf number for command
-same thing
*reads wiki bugs about this, tries ordering -kill Caged McGoblin
-dwarves become soldiers, surround cage
*lever open cage of Caged McGoblin
-dwarves go nuts on goblin, then stand next to dead goblin with orders to kill him
*removes ridiculous command to kill dead goblin
-dwarves return to bugged civvies hanging out in barracks

Unfortunately this immediately spread to all my squads, not just the one that started this, thus my military pretty much is non-existent.

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 05:06:05 am »

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding military, let alone noticing the bugs. One thing I have seen however is starving military, they don't see how it's important to eat/drink anymore!

Yeah I'm having trouble understanding it, too. If something is strange, I dont know if i'm doing something wrong or if its just bugged.
I spent hours only to find out, that i can forget ranged dwarfs for now. (not picking up quivers/bolts etc)
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 08:44:19 am »

I spent a long time thinking only one of my squads was working because the second one had the never trains bug  ::)

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 11:21:15 am »

I can't get my dwarves to mine after having been to the military. I haven't yet tested to see the full extent of the not-willing-to-do-the-job disease, but some of my dwarves haul.

I decided to try and mine with my dwarves while I was re-arranging them (They were constantly upset over being drafted, not eating or drinking due to laziness), but they would pick up picks to then just stand around doing nothing. Designating tiles to be mined wouldn't have any effect, they'd just stand around doing "No Job".

I spent a long time thinking only one of my squads was working because the second one had the never trains bug  ::)

I think I found a work-around for that one myself: My squads would go to the barracks then do "Individual combat drill", even though I set them to train. I double-checked my alerts, my schedule, etc. and I really couldn't find any reason to why they shouldn't be training. Eventually I re-designated their barracks (I designated it again from another item in the same room, having the room be designated identically twice) and they immediately jumped into active soldier form and started doing dodging and striking demonstrations.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 12:29:38 pm »

It's not the military system that is horrible, in fact it has lots of interesting features, the burrow, the alerts, the scheduling, the "move"/"kill" orders etc...

What is truly and fun breakingly horrible are the bugs that are preventing this military system to actually really work.

Always ending into legions of naked wrestlers (especially with wrestlers being extremely weak in this version) dying from just 1 or 2 armed goblins because at some point they drop their weapons/armor, ignore weapon/armor even with arsenal dwarf even with them being assigned personnally, never train anything despite assigned to it in schedules, or for some reason do "individual drill" that train nothing instead of group/squad training etc.. is certainly no fun.

But the system as a concept is really good, well it will be when it will work ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4