Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: The most awesome Cave Swallowman ever [minor spoilers]  (Read 69771 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
Re: The most awesome Cave Swallowman ever [spoileriffic]
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 08:15:08 pm »

build that cave swallowman a throne temple to sit on and maybe rename every year.
 dwarves can't KILL friendlies it's in their ethics.
still goblins don't mind killing their own kind it just a pain to give them a military with out slapping on a beard and making them short and fat.
Modifying the ethics in the save folder's raws didn't help.  But thanks for telling me how to make the game not react to Âsax's obsessive renaming; it had risen to twice a minute.  Now that problem is solved, I'll let him roam freely throughout my fort.
This was by far the weirdest series of events I've ever had happen to me personally in Dwarf Fortress.
EDIT: And when sealing in Ejem and Ana, I forgot to seal their escape route back into the depths.  They're back down there, beating up reptile men.  Whoops.  Well, as long as I dig carefully, not my problem...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:19:02 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 08:15:57 pm »

build that cave swallowman a throne temple to sit on and maybe rename every year.
 dwarves can't KILL friendlies it's in their ethics.
still goblins don't mind killing their own kind it just a pain to give them a military with out slapping on a beard and making them short and fat.
Modifying the ethics in the save folder's raws didn't help.  But thanks for telling me how to make the game not react to Âsax's obsessive renaming; it had risen to twice a minute.  Now that problem is solved, I'll let him roam freely throughout my fort.
This was by far the weirdest series of events I've ever had happen to me personally in Dwarf Fortress.

And totally deserving of some kind of fan art.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 08:37:24 pm »

...I can't believe it.
There was a goblin ambush.  Master lasher Atu Wraithwhipped managed to do what three of the most appalling abominations in all of creation, two of them immortals, failed to; kill Âsax.  Âsax defended the fortress as nobly as any of my actual soldiers, but evidently, his specialty was in dealing with freakish behemoths, not armed, armored goblins.
Those gobbo bastards managed to kill two of my most popular and useful dwarves as well; I may be looking at a fatal tantrum spiral thanks to them.
What a strange little tale.  Atu Wraithwhipped... I'll remember that name, and if the fortress falls, I've got a goblin to hunt down in Adventurer mode.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:44:07 pm »

Like I said, spear good for critical hits, and therefor beat against uberbrothem style beats, rather then swarms. Thats when you pull out your war hammers.

I think swords are going to become a very useful jack of all trades now, as hammers are USELESS against a lot of mega beasts.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 08:45:06 pm »

Nooooooo!  :(  I was of course cheering on a fellow cave swallowman, too.

KILL ATU.  Vengeance must be acheived!
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 09:31:44 pm »

This is like some kind of dwarven story of the heroic monster-hunting... Monster, and how he defended the fort from certain death and gave his life in the process.

There's a moral here, folks.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 09:33:57 pm »

Well, made a copy to look at the legends mode:
571 artifacts are listed, all of them just different names Âsax gave to his fungiwood spear and tunnel tube shield.
Not much on the painfully unremarkable Atu Wraithwhipped.  He was born to unknown parents in 803 (present date is early 1055), and he's a member of the Blotted Incest.  He has no home listed, and his only kills are Âsax and a stray cat, also in my fort.
Âsax was born in 1042, and his life was completely unremarkable until he slew Rusmo Mournfulcackled.  Rusmo failed to kill a single creature before Âsax slew him in early 1053.  Âsax, for his part, never stopped considering himself a member of his nameless tribe of cave swallowmen.  Due to Âsax's efforts, said tribe is now listed on the legends screen, though it has no symbol or name.  Its history only records Ejem, Ana, and Atu Wraithwhipped becoming its enemies.
Oh, and I found out why no caravans, and only a smattering of migrants, have come.
My settlement, Reignstake, has truly been well named.  The entire reign of dwarvern civilization is indeed at stake.  It is the last dwarvern settlement on the entire planet.
Just when I thought this game could get no stranger...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:38:10 pm by KillerClowns »

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 09:42:10 pm »

My settlement, Reignstake, has truly been well named.  The entire reign of dwarvern civilization is indeed at stake.  It is the last dwarvern settlement on the entire planet.

Epic.  A lone cave swallowman rises up from the nameless ranks of his tribe to defend the last remnants of dwarven civilization.  That bird was a saint, embodying two of the many great aspects of dwarven civilization: war and crazy names for garbage items.

You do realize that you have to build a shrine to that bird, right?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »

You should craft a short story based on this. Or make it a story fort. That has potential to be epic.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:03:29 pm »

Damn, I have got to start a fortress now.  I've just been messing around in Adventure and arena modes, but that was freaking awesome.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 10:13:21 pm »

What a sense of duty, Âsax, the mightiest of the Cave swallowmen tribe, nobaly defending the last hope of the dwarves. Hes spear sharp and shield ready, he strikes down megabeasts, risking hes own life, to protect the small dwarven colony.

Truly hes story is one of awesomeness, and there must be a place for him at the great dinning hall where Armok feasts on cats.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 10:20:55 pm »

I think we just found DF2010's representative badass.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 10:30:17 pm »

Let the story of Asax McBadass be spread throughout the land.

In 40d we had a elf who chopped down trees and ate the wood as a hobby before slaying 64 of its own kind single handedly.
Before that we had elephants making an alliance with goblins through a common hate of dwarfs.
And now we have a flying super hero who could kill megabeasts with a freaking wooden spear!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 10:35:26 pm »

If possible, cause a cave in and the dust will knock him out, bonus point if you can knock him out and get him in a cage trap, then take hes legendary weapons and release him again.
Incidentally, that doesn't work anymore.  Dust now does damage to your body parts; it doesn't magically knock you out.

I found that out the hard way.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 11:59:28 pm »

His spear was the one to pierce the heavens!

I mean, he came from underground, loud and brash with all that weapon-naming, kicked some ass, and then got killed by a common enemy when no one expected it.

See what I'm pointing at here...?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10