Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: The most awesome Cave Swallowman ever [minor spoilers]  (Read 69770 times)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: The most awesome Cave Swallowman ever [spoileriffic]
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:46 am »

His spear was the one to pierce the heavens!

I mean, he came from underground, loud and brash with all that weapon-naming, kicked some ass, and then got killed by a common enemy when no one expected it.

See what I'm pointing at here...?

Who the hell do you think he is?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 12:22:01 am »

Um... some ancient Chinese guy? ???
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 12:23:20 am »

Before you gain vengeance you have to retrieve The Spear of DestinyÂsax's Spear and Shield and then wage war.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 12:55:22 am »

Thanks to recently starting to familiarize myself with a new drawing program, I've been in an arty mood.

Âsax the Cave Swallowman, as drawn by someone who is not actually sure what a Cave Swallowman would look like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 12:59:02 am »

That seems about right, or at least that's what I imagined them like.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 01:14:54 am »

This might be because of some other picture I saw but I imagined them as the Spartans from 300 with swallow heads.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Hurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 01:25:57 am »

For some reason, I thought they didn't actually have arms? Just wings? Like a giant swallow with man-legs.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 01:47:18 am »

I dunno how one would hold a shield and spear without arms.  A spear alone they could hold just with some talons, but most kinds of shields beyond a buckler need to have somewhere to be strapped...
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 01:50:06 am »

Aye! That be a cave swallowman! All craftshumanship if of the highest quality!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 02:09:29 am »

[CAUTION: Rum/vodka/beer influenced post.  Friend's 21st birthday party.]
As soon as is possible, Âsax will indeed be getting a shrine; I intend to use the dump command and activation/deactivation of dumps to ensure his remains and weapons, which will otherwise be untouched, are given a place of honor.  This will have to wait until my hangover, and the dwarves' tantrum spiral, both wear off; until then, I recall planning to set up a far more brutal series of traps and surprises to deal with the Blotted Incest, involving cage traps and guard dogs.  I can't exactly expand my military, though.  It consists of two dwarves, one of whom has been struck by melancholy.  The rest of my dwarves are needed for their non-military skills.  (Oddly, the melancholy dwarf has not committed, or sought to commit, suicide; he has been obsessively practicing in the barracks, but has refused both food and drink.  He'll no doubt be dead soon, at any rate...)  Then again, I've got a nice little subterranean ecosystem going, independent of the bloodthirsty fiends of the underworld.  Now that I know why the mountainhomes haven't been sending caravans (because they're dead to the last man), and why the humans and elves have been ignoring me (because according to their records, I don't exist), maybe I should just close up that bridge and be done with it.  Then I have only to deal with the abominations of the underworld, should I inadvertently break back into the subterreanean ecosystems.
I'm down to fourteen dwarves now, including the aforementioned melancholy dwarf, and the ones not actively suicidal are mostly pretty close.
In short: I cannot dare dig too deep, lest the undying horrors below tear my people asunder.  I cannot sacrifice even the least of my people, for even they are needed to repopulate my nigh-annihilated people.  The rest of this world either cares nothing for my fate, or seeks to hasten the extinction of all dwarfkind.  The only glimmer of hope my people have ever borne witness to, an eccentric cave swallowman, lies dead by a goblin's lucky strike.
This is the most Fun I've had in a long time.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 02:22:52 am »

Re: the fanart, you can still see the dead unit on the units list, and get a description from there, even get color descriptions and stuff. Just in case you really want to figure out what that one particular unit looked like.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 02:24:29 am »

For some reason I was inspired to try and recreate the fateful events in the cave, to some degree. I suck at computer graphics, so I apologize in advance for any occular hemorrhaging:
Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Akivara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 03:24:37 am »

Have your dwarves made any art of Asax yet?

About what cave swallowmen look like, apparently cave swallows are a real animal.  They have different coloration than regular swallows.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 03:31:05 am »

Thanks to recently starting to familiarize myself with a new drawing program, I've been in an arty mood.

Âsax the Cave Swallowman, as drawn by someone who is not actually sure what a Cave Swallowman would look like:

awesome.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 05:19:17 am »

This might be because of some other picture I saw but I imagined them as the Spartans from 300 with swallow heads.

Like this?  :D
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10