Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The most awesome Cave Swallowman ever [minor spoilers]  (Read 69758 times)

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
The most awesome Cave Swallowman ever [minor spoilers]
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:58:34 pm »

About a year or so into my most recent embark, I received a message informing me that Rusmo Ômourog, a forgotten beast, (specifically, a shelled hippopotamus with external ribs and curly emerald hair) had been struck down.  Which was strange, since I was still dallying about on the surface, still paranoid from my last fort being annihilated by a fire-breathing pterodactyl thing.  Not long thereafter, I found out the cause: "Âsax, Cave Swallow Man Spearman has bestowed the name Mudoung upon a tunnel tube shield!"  "Âsax, Cave Swallow Man Spearman has bestowed the name Zosbagnaxob Spug Akul upon a fungiwood spear!"   Unfortunately, it would appear Âsax either could not make up his mind, or was exceedingly forgetful; the blighter began renaming his weapons thereafter, at an alarmingly high rate, pausing the game and zooming into the unexplored blackness of the earth each time.  So I placed a note at the place I was forever being dragged to, and had my miners dig there.  Âsax had to die.

There were two odd things when I found him at his camp.  Unlike his kin, Âsax was "friendly," not "hostile."  And he was a bit busy.  Specifically, he was locked in combat with Ejem Itvidsiñur Ipizocul, a massive, poison-spitting blob of ash.   He apparently didn't think killing one forgotten beast with a wooden spear and shield was enough.  And Âsax is winning; Ejem had a tail at one point, but Âsax has lopped it off, and Ejem's body is red at the time of writing.  Âsax, although "tired," is unhurt.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about Âsax.  I can't let his obsessive renaming grind my game to a hault, but since he's not hostile I can't attack him.  And the fact that he's killed one and a half forgotten beasts to my zero makes me think that might not be wise.  Perhaps his obsessive renaming is related to his combat with Ejem; I'll see if I can help him hasten the beast's demise.

(Editted the topic title; there's far more spoiler-y things than a few forgotten beasts and some caverns]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:26:54 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most awesome Cave Swallowman ever [spoileriffic]
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »

... since he's not hostile I can't attack him ...

You sure about that one? I haven't done it myself, but my understanding was that you could assign a kill order (through the (s)quad menu) on any creature that wasn't actually part of your fortress.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:17:22 pm by piesquared »

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:13:19 pm »

... since he's not hostile I can't attack him ...

You sure about that one? I haven't done it myself, but my understanding was that you could assign a kill order (through the squad menu) on any creature that wasn't actually part of your fortress.
Thanks for the reminder; I'd been using that on enemies, and to get my hunters to pick up ammo, but I hadn't heard you could use it on non-fortress friendlies.  Still, the plan is looking progressively more dangerous as I watch Ejem and Âsax dance...
EDIT: And I can't reach either one anyways; I only broke through the ceiling of their cavern, and my miners are too terrified of Ejem to dig any paths down.  I'll need to train up a few crossbowmen...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:15:55 pm by KillerClowns »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 05:16:11 pm »

You must let him live until a utility compatible with this version is made that allows you to make him a member of your civ is made. Then use it and make him part of your military.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 06:17:10 pm »

OK, this is getting ridiculous.  While waiting for some source of leather to make a quiver (for some reason, I've not seen a single caravan), Ana showed up.  Ana is "a great quadraped composed of coral" with three tails, a "gaunt appearance," and deadly spittle.  Since it couldn't reach me, it went straight for Âsax, whose third toe on his right foot is now broken and smashed open.  This is the only damage Ana and Ejem (who just won't die despite being in the red) have done.
Let me re-iterate: he is trapped between two poison spitting Forgotten Beasts, and that's all they've managed to do to him.  Maybe it's a bug...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:19:39 pm by KillerClowns »

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 06:19:57 pm »

OK, this is getting ridiculous.  While waiting for some source of leather to make a quiver (for some reason, I've not seen a single caravan), Ana showed up.  Ana is "a great quadraped composed of coral" with three tails, a "gaunt appearance," and deadly spittle.  Since it couldn't reach me, it went straight for Âsax, whose third toe on his right foot is now broken and smashed open.  This is the only damage Ana and Ejem (who just won't die despite being in the red) have managed to do.
He is trapped between two Forgotten Beasts, and that's all they've managed to do to him.  Maybe it's a bug...
Isn't it obvious? He's the avatar of a god of war.  :D
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:37 pm »

Well there have been reports of dwarves getting to legendary in a single fight. It seems to me that our hero got lucky enough to survive for a short time against a forgotten beast (It can happen, I saw a horse hold its own against a demon for a while) then got lucky with a spear through an internal organ. From winning via a fluke he become so legendary that now he can fight for real! Use of a spear would also mean a lot of hes kills are from critical hits.

As for renaming, I'm willing to bet its a bug. Every time he kills something with hes awesome wooden spear of power, he renames it, not realizing it has already been named.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:32:59 pm »

Well there have been reports of dwarves getting to legendary in a single fight. It seems to me that our hero got lucky enough to survive for a short time against a forgotten beast (It can happen, I saw a horse hold its own against a demon for a while) then got lucky with a spear through an internal organ. From winning via a fluke he become so legendary that now he can fight for real! Use of a spear would also mean a lot of hes kills are from critical hits.

As for renaming, I'm willing to bet its a bug. Every time he kills something with hes awesome wooden spear of power, he renames it, not realizing it has already been named.
Seems about right, but for one small oddity.  He hasn't actually killed anything recently; Ana (now also entirely red) and Ejem are alive, and there have been no other kills; Âsax's spear is listed as an artifact, and Rusmo is the only kill he has.  I think he's renaming it every time he deals fatal damage to one of his foes, but for some reason, they don't quite curl up and die.  He's doing this once every couple of minutes now; it's really annoying.  I found and butchered a cat; now that I have an archer, I'll see if some bolts can finish off... somebody in this mess.  I don't even care who, although I'll see about giving Âsax a warrior's burial if it comes down to that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:35:39 pm »

Well you remember how some creatures can trick civilizations into worshiping them as a god? Seems YOU just got a god of caverns, wood and baddassness.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 06:46:57 pm »

Non-living creatures just don't die, apparently.  Ash and coral forgotten beasts probably aren't living.

Don't worry, a dwarven spoonful of magma will cure what ails you.

A little bit of water beforehand and you'll also get that warrior's burial checked off your to-do list too.  Who wouldn't want to be buried by having themselves eternally preserved inside of a semi-valuable material that can be used to make swords later?  Who wouldn't want to be made into a sword as sharp as steel after they died?  NOBODY. THAT IS WHO.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:50 pm »

Go Asax go. Did he finally manage to kill the thing?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 07:46:45 pm »

That was insane.  Lacking any major source of magma or water, I figured I'd just have my miners cut open an alternate route, and then hack Ana and Ejem, into pieces.  I mean, tearing a creature limb from limb will kill it eventually, right?
This was before I'd read Box's comment, but I soon found out the answer was "wrong."  As soon as I pierced through on ground level, Âsax decided he wanted to see the sky and flew like a maniac out of the cavern, with Ana and Ejem close behind.  I eventually managed to lure them into a side tunnel and seal them in (along with a fish dissector I'd used to distract them); my very own Hidden Fun Stuff.  Âsax is still doing the obnoxious renaming every few minutes that started this whole mess.  My dwarves are ignoring the kill order; they have it on their job list, but are hanging out in the barracks instead.  They'll obey other kill orders, though.  Since I don't have any magma, and very little water, I can't think of how to eliminate Âsax... or at least get him to shut up.  He's presently chilling in my main hallway, showing benign interest in my dwarves' activities.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:50:00 pm by KillerClowns »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:51:30 pm »

If possible, cause a cave in and the dust will knock him out, bonus point if you can knock him out and get him in a cage trap, then take hes legendary weapons and release him again.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 08:04:59 pm »

I just remembered something from a post yesterday that might help you - we can now edit whether or not any announcment pauses your game, and how that announcment is dealt with in data/init/announcments.txt

I reckon the line you're looking for is:

[NAMED_ARTIFACT:A_D:D_D:BOX:P:R]

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 08:06:13 pm »

build that cave swallowman a throne temple to sit on and maybe rename every year.
 dwarves can't KILL friendlies it's in their ethics.
still goblins don't mind killing their own kind it just a pain to give them a military with out slapping on a beard and making them short and fat.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10