Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orioles and Toads  (Read 1803 times)

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orioles and Toads
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:22:00 am »

So my trapper has caged a bunch of vermin such as orioles and toads and gackles.  What the heck am I supposed to do with them now?  I tried getting an extract, butchering them, making them into food (they should totally be cookable).  I haven't tried selling them because I don't want to lose the cage (and the wood its made from).  Is my only option to start a catch and release program?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Orioles and Toads
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:27:00 am »

Pets! Set them available and eventually some crazy toad-loving Dwarf will come along and adopt them.

Otherwise, keep a zoo indoors, it's where Dwarves will gather when they have nothing else to do, and it keeps them indoors if you don't want them wandering about.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:49:00 am »

you have to tame them at a kennel first.  how does the dungeon master and other nobles work now?  do you appoint them?  do they still have the same requirements?

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tilla:
<STRONG>Otherwise, keep a zoo indoors, it's where Dwarves will gather when they have nothing else to do, and it keeps them indoors if you don't want them wandering about.</STRONG>

I put a toad in my Zoo. He seemed kind of out of place, sitting next to an assortment of Lions, Bears, Cogaurs etc. Also he kept giving people unhappy thoughts... apparently loads of my dwarves dislike them.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Olix ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>you have to tame them at a kennel first.  how does the dungeon master and other nobles work now?  do you appoint them?  do they still have the same requirements?</STRONG>

The dungeon master arrives with a wave of immigrants I'm not sure what the requirements are.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

The dungeon master can't be appointed, since it's assumed he has some extraordinary skills which aren't yet represented in the game.

Depending on your dwarves' preferences, it's possible that one of your dwarves may go ahead and retrieve the cage, then eat the animal alive.  I've seen dwarves eat roaches and toads so far.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

CharonX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 03:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Olix:
<STRONG>

I put a toad in my Zoo. He seemed kind of out of place, sitting next to an assortment of Lions, Bears, Cogaurs etc. Also he kept giving people unhappy thoughts... apparently loads of my dwarves dislike them.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Olix ]</STRONG>

Everybody Loves Hypnotoad

All Hail Hypnotoad!

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: CharonX ]

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

So far, I can't seem to tame them (the job cancels out) and no one wants them as a pet.  I think Oriole pie would be just as good as Blackbird Pie.  May be I should put my animal stockpile in front of my food stock pile.

PS: All Hail Hypnotoad!

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: Zengief ]

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOADY [/monotone]

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

Man, it just ain't the same with the "angry machine" sound. Oh well.

This show's been going downhill since season 3.    ;)

Edit:
Yeah, I should learn how to read...

[ November 08, 2007: Message edited by: Nesoo ]

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Olix:
<STRONG>I put a toad in my Zoo. [...] Also he kept giving people unhappy thoughts... apparently loads of my dwarves dislike them.</STRONG>

What? Your dwarves don't like Toads? Heathens! All must hail the Great Toady!

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!