Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: HFS is More Evil Than Ever [Spoilers]  (Read 25435 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS is More Evil Than Ever [Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 04:12:30 pm »

Right, now you made me curious, does that "smaller chance" also entail a more select location or should I just get a perfectly flat 16x16 glacier with no other animals and strip mine it?

Hmm, that would actually be dwarven in it self even. Ravaging the polar icecaps in the name of finding something (presumably) more evil then hell.

Now, if you could point me in the direction of a good tutorial on how the squad screen works as I'm stumped at getting a woodcutter to kill a snailman harassing him.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 04:21:33 pm »

Recently had my own encounter with the inferno.  I thought I'd breached the worst Dwarf Fortress had to offer when I hit the magma sea... hoo boy, was I wrong.
We know that deep within the lowest pits of reality lies an unspeakable inferno.
We know inorganic creatures do not die.
Somebody needs I'm going to mod Dwarf Fortress to replace dwarves with either adamantine or slade colossi, so I can see just how much Hell can really throw at us.
If the legions of Hell are finite, this means, theoretically, a sufficiently skilled player could lead unmodded dwarves to hell and conquer it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:27:14 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

TarrVetus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's... decaff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 04:27:05 pm »

Now, if you could point me in the direction of a good tutorial on how the squad screen works as I'm stumped at getting a woodcutter to kill a snailman harassing him.

Ta-da!

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2010, 04:36:30 pm »

replace dwarves with slade colossi
while awesome, wouldn't they be near-invincible due to how freaking hard slade is?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2010, 04:42:34 pm »

while awesome, wouldn't they be near-invincible due to how freaking hard slade is?

Exactly.  My plan is to test whether or not there are infinite demons, and the easiest way to do so is to attempt to kill them all.  When you've got nigh-unstoppable slade colossi (I finally went with that), it's a little easier to do so.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 04:52:07 pm »

Slade collosi dwarves? That's awesome! It's like a dwarven version of unmanned rovers!  :D
Good luck... and be sure to post a video of the epic battle.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 04:52:17 pm »

Where is the HFS located? Generally downward from the regular cave systems or only in a special location?
At the bottom. One time I got it in negative z-levels. Of course, since the z-level under the magma sea is basically entirely undiggable half-melted rock you have to enter through an adamantine shaft.

Also, on my last map I got to a magma sea just ~50 z-levels down! The adamantine shaft even poked through the first cave system I found. Unfortunately I messed up any chances of descending down the adamantine with poor digging. The top 5 or so layers of it weren't hollow, even!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 05:13:29 pm »

Exactly.  My plan is to test whether or not there are infinite demons, and the easiest way to do so is to attempt to kill them all.  When you've got nigh-unstoppable slade colossi (I finally went with that), it's a little easier to do so.
Can I help test it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »

I just attempted to flood hell. Didn't work out so well. The strange glowing pits are effectively bottomless pits with regenerating fire-like stuff. Also the demons went through 7/7 water filled hallways like it wasn't there.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »

I turned a steam demon into an obsidion block by pouring magma on it, so I guess magma is a partial solution?
Nom nom nom

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 05:36:22 pm »

This is really beginning to annoy me.
My slade colossi miners are randomly refusing to do any mining whatsoever, and they're weird about what tiles of raw adamantine they will or won't ignore.  For a while, they'll say "no job" and just sort of sit there.  Anyways, I finally got the pits in sight. 
Aside from the undying Banshees of Embers, the initial strike force of hell has been annihilated, and they've sent nothing more yet.  If the adamantine pipe didn't give way right above an eerie glowing pit, I'd just abandon this place, and come back as an adventurer.  There's terrain down there, made of slade.  Completely barren from what I can see (not much).
Also, it's kind of a long story, but I'm down to one miner now.  A rhesus macaque stole the other's pick.  Yeah, really.
EDIT: Nevertheless, I am labeling the experiment a success.  There is terrain in hell, and its legions, though powerful and numerous, are not infinite.  As soon as the glitch with the undying non-organics is dealt with, it will be possible to defeat them.
Ladies and gentlemen, might I be so arrogant as to speak for all dwarfkind?
Hell
Must

Fall
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:50:30 pm by KillerClowns »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 06:22:34 pm »

or rather rise, since it's already at rock bottom?
Nom nom nom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 06:33:27 pm »

or rather rise, since it's already at rock bottom?
No, Hell Rises = Fortress Falls.
Hell Falls = Super Fortress!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 07:02:56 pm »

So, I gave my slade colossi flier, because... why not?
Before abandoning the fortress so explore it with an adventurer, I tried to have my miner dig into the slade floor of hell.  Unfortunately, as with semimolten rock, slade (or at least, hell-bottom slade) cannot be designated for digging.  Damn.
I'm exploring hell right now.  Lots of demons.  Lots of pits.  Lots of slade.  Nothing worth coming down here for, aside from being able to say you did it, and frankly, I'm not sure how you could reach this place... at least, from an adamantine vein.  Haven't borne witness to a demonic fortress yet, so maybe that would provide an opportunity.  I suppose you could do a controlled cave-in to get a mason to the bottom with a ton of quantum stockpiled rock, and have him build a stairway to get back up, after which you could build your altar to your god/your dwarves' god/dwarvern hubris/a cave swallowman/phallic imagery...
I just saw a specter of ash: "A great eight-legged quadruped made of ash."  What.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »

Haven't borne witness to a demonic fortress yet.
You can tell if you have one by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you do, you can find it by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7