Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: HFS is More Evil Than Ever [Spoilers]  (Read 25452 times)

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
Re: HFS is More Evil Than Ever [Spoilers]
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 07:45:50 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to mod in another layer below the HFS, perhaps a few squares of earth over the glowing pits are *not* glowing pit, so you can construct floors over to it, dig staircases down, and basically have a couple z-levels of pure treasure trove of materials to be mined out, or perhaps a few more z-levels of hell with progressively stronger demons that, when passed down to the deepest levels, reveal an uber-demon as well as all those goodies.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

dualR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 07:48:58 pm »

EDIT: Nevertheless, I am labeling the experiment a success.  There is terrain in hell, and its legions, though powerful and numerous, are not infinite.  As soon as the glitch with the undying non-organics is dealt with, it will be possible to defeat them.
Ladies and gentlemen, might I be so arrogant as to speak for all dwarfkind?

I managed to kill all the initial demons with some cave-ins.

Now weak demons continually spawn on the edge, I killed most of them but got inorganics so now I have 4 moss opal demons just on the edge, they can't be killed so I can't find out if the demon spawn get steadily harder or they remain relatively weak.

Note to all: Magma does shit all to demons :P

Also, you're right, there's nothing to do down here, someone said to make your fortress down there but it's more for the novelty factor. Until someone works out how to work Slade, hell isn't that interesting.

I'm a bit annoyed I didn't get a curious structure

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »

So, I gave my slade colossi flier, because... why not?
Before abandoning the fortress so explore it with an adventurer, I tried to have my miner dig into the slade floor of hell.  Unfortunately, as with semimolten rock, slade (or at least, hell-bottom slade) cannot be designated for digging.  Damn.
I'm exploring hell right now.  Lots of demons.  Lots of pits.  Lots of slade.  Nothing worth coming down here for, aside from being able to say you did it, and frankly, I'm not sure how you could reach this place... at least, from an adamantine vein.  Haven't borne witness to a demonic fortress yet, so maybe that would provide an opportunity.  I suppose you could do a controlled cave-in to get a mason to the bottom with a ton of quantum stockpiled rock, and have him build a stairway to get back up, after which you could build your altar to your god/your dwarves' god/dwarvern hubris/a cave swallowman/phallic imagery...
I just saw a specter of ash: "A great eight-legged quadruped made of ash."  What.

Can't you get down there by building staircases out into the air?

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »

Also, you're right, there's nothing to do down here, someone said to make your fortress down there but it's more for the novelty factor. Until someone works out how to work Slade, hell isn't that interesting.

I liked the old HFS a little better.  Not because it was relatively difficult to pinpoint, but because it was like a tight little package with an adamantine wrapper that unleashed a challenge that, prepared or unprepared for, was a glee to deal with. (usually more so when prepared)

Now the HFS is HUGE and unavoidable to a point and actually a pain in the butt-ocks to get into, finding an exact path through an adamantine z-vein, very difficult to deal with, and completely uninteresting otherwise.  First time I broke into mine, I didn't see a single engraving, nor any captured people or junk lying around.  then BLUH, BLUH, GHOSTS, BLUH, and then everyone melted. :(

Old HFS = adamantine with a chance of hitting bad stuff if you're clumsy

New HFS = adamantine is a pain in the ass to gather, usually with a sea of magma to deal with, and hell is COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE as long as you don't dig past semi-molten rock or too far down past semi-molten rock.  You have a chance to be a little more greedy, but otherwise you can get adamantine and get away without penalty as long as you don't dig too far south.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 08:23:27 pm »

Before abandoning the fortress so explore it with an adventurer, I tried to have my miner dig into the slade floor of hell.  Unfortunately, as with semimolten rock, slade (or at least, hell-bottom slade) cannot be designated for digging.  Damn.
I'm exploring hell right now.  Lots of demons.  Lots of pits.  Lots of slade.  Nothing worth coming down here for, aside from being able to say you did it, and frankly, I'm not sure how you could reach this place... at least, from an adamantine vein.  Haven't borne witness to a demonic fortress yet, so maybe that would provide an opportunity.  I suppose you could do a controlled cave-in to get a mason to the bottom with a ton of quantum stockpiled rock, and have him build a stairway to get back up, after which you could build your altar to your god/your dwarves' god/dwarvern hubris/a cave swallowman/phallic imagery...
I just saw a specter of ash: "A great eight-legged quadruped made of ash."  What.

Should have thought of that...

I think we've proven conquering hell is a reasonable goal, though it's not worth it except for an ego boost.  Maybe our toady overlord will be making it more interesting in the next version.
We should be able to build a stairway to heaven in the next version.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 08:25:05 pm »

don't mention heaven, with the crazy huge number of z-levels as is, imagine how many there would be if there was a sky-world now.....
Nom nom nom

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:06 pm »

Should have thought of that...

I think we've proven conquering hell is a reasonable goal, though it's not worth it except for an ego boost.  Maybe our toady overlord will be making it more interesting in the next version.
We should be able to build a stairway to heaven in the next version.
And It should be made out of Slade to prove we've gone to hell and back, so now we want to go up.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »

Slade experiments:
You can smooth and engrave raw slade.
I stripped slade of its ridiculous stats in my save's raws.  When I reloaded the game, I could designate slade for digging.  When I returned it to is previous stats, I was again unable to designate it for digging.
Then some more HFS wandered in, Tarantula Devils.  Thankfully mortal.  They went squish.  Yeah, I recant my previous statement.  The HFS down there are infinite in practice; I believe there is a finite amount of HFS, like every with other creature in the game, but the numbers are high enough, and they reproduce offscreen (since they have genders), which makes rendering them extinct difficult.  Still, once the immortals are rendered mortal, it's nothing a sufficiently tough fortress couldn't deal with.
Forged an adamantine pick.  Even that cannot break through slade, though.  Might do some modding to convert microcline into slade, and make slade picks constructable.  See if that would do it, though it's academic I suppose.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 09:19:46 pm »

Perhaps toady has given us a little challenge. Dig out the rock that can not otherwise be dug, so we can have fun figuring out how.

Can anybody out there who has had a good look at hell say whether there is a chance to cause cave ins?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 09:40:23 pm »

Perhaps toady has given us a little challenge. Dig out the rock that can not otherwise be dug, so we can have fun figuring out how.

Can anybody out there who has had a good look at hell say whether there is a chance to cause cave ins?
Not that I can see.  There's literally nothing but slade, demons, and glowing pits down there.  And the demonic fortresses are smoothed, not constructed, like Goblin towers, so any cave-in causing plans related to that are doomed.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2010, 09:40:47 pm »

Actually.

A PROPER project would be too start an age of demons.

Like, dig down too the demon level, unleash the demons above ground. Let them deal with the megabeasts to end the age of myth.

What'cha'll think?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2010, 09:53:00 pm »

Actually.

Like, dig down too the demon level, unleash the demons above ground. Let them deal with the megabeasts to end the age of myth.

What'cha'll think?

The only problem I can think of is getting enough demons to come out before you die.

And it may be that things simply don't wok like that, though I'm sure Toady would track those kinds of things.

Plus, you'd have to have enough time pass that the demons can kill everyone.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »

Actually.

What'cha'll think?

The only problem I can think of is getting enough demons to come out before you die.

And it may be that things simply don't wok like that, though I'm sure Toady would track those kinds of things.

Plus, you'd have to have enough time pass that the demons can kill everyone.

The idea is to make a HUGE SINK HOLE

basically, the demons would go RIGHT UP, you open up the hole they're coming up too the sky. A fortress of demon worshipers!
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2010, 10:17:04 pm »

The idea is to make a HUGE SINK HOLE

basically, the demons would go RIGHT UP, you open up the hole they're coming up too the sky. A fortress of demon worshipers!

Then they charge right back at you and slaughter you all in horribly torturous ways, then flay your bodies upon rusted spikes and rape your organs.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2010, 10:19:12 pm »

I stripped slade of its ridiculous stats in my save's raws.  When I reloaded the game, I could designate slade for digging.  When I returned it to is previous stats, I was again unable to designate it for digging.
Wait, are you saying slade is just too hard to mine? is that really it?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7