Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That Dog Wont Hunt  (Read 1241 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That Dog Wont Hunt
« on: August 21, 2010, 05:37:58 pm »

Actually, its not my dog, but my hunter.  Anyone had problems with hunters just ignoring huntable prey?

He was once in the military, but I undrafted him cuz I need food.  I blanked all labors but hunting.  Nothing.

Groundhogs, Hoary Marmots, Mountain Goats......ignored.

edit:
*sigh, now the fisherman wont fish *%#&@!!!!
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Mynoris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That Dog Wont Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »

Have you allowed your hunters to have ammo from the military screen?  Do you have ammo in your fort at all?
I have weird, teleporting dwarven doppelgangers!

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:42:25 pm »

Yeah, got plenty of ammo, he has his crossbow, quiver, etc.

I wonder if I need to remove the ammo for training.  Can major stacks of ammo be "tasked" for training/hunting well before the hunter/aracher even gets to them (ie - i have 10000 bolts, i set them to hunt and train, archer goes to shoot bolts, does he task all 10000 and keep hunter from using them, even though they both are allowed the bolts and the material?)
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 05:53:28 pm »

Well, I had to remove my entire makrsdorf squad, set them to masonry and let them build a few walls, then set one to hunt to get him to hunt.

I had tried forbidding ammo, changing allowed materials, etc, to no avail.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »

I'll assume you left some time in between trying new things, as it can occasionally take a little time for the orders to filter through, even 'automatic' ones like fishing and hunting.  Another thing to check on would be your options, because if only military dwarves can go outside, then hunters and fishers won't be allowed.  or it could have just been a really weird fluke.
Demon of Darkness

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 06:03:42 pm »

I've heard other people report this but I've never had this problem with hunters at all.  Even embarking without weapon and ammo, mine are bright enough to go pick up a crossbow and bolts after I get them crafted and go shoot stuff and bring it in to the butcher.  Sometimes I have an ammo stockpile, sometimes they go get it straight from the craftsdwarf workshop.  I dunno what causes this problem for other people, it sounds to me you're doing the same kind of thing I am, minus your workaround(s).  I do know there are sometimes periods where hunters will sit there at "no job" but not long enough to make me concerned, I think perhaps that hunting targets are picked on a cycle that is not realtime (perhaps some set number of frames).

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:51:21 pm »

This is the first time I have had this problem, and I really think it has something to do with ammo.  I noticed later that when I sent a markswarf to go train, he claimed every every single bolt of the given type (it showed up under his ammunition list, specifically, ie 25 adler bolts, 15 pine bolts, etc....) far beyond the wood bolts (100) he as alloted for training.  I had to make a clear and distinct difference between training and hunting ammo, and do it from scratch, when I made the swuad.  Trying to redo it on-the-fly doesnt seem to work.

I have it all working now:  My marksdwarves are shooting away at some targets, while those off-duty are hunting with their crossbows.  Like I intended........sorta  :P

PS:  My infantry now goes to fish when off duty also like they should.  I have no idea what kept them from it originally.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 08:21:30 pm »

There might not have been anything for them to fish that season.